Menu

HS'ed Kids off to college/university - stories for my dd11?

Hi :)

I found out yesterday that my dd11 has been under the assumption that being homeschooled meant that she couldn't go to college or university. :001_huh:

Yep. The source of her info? A 14 year old girl who lives up the street from us. :tongue_smilie:

We had a chat last night about how that girl doesn't know what the heck she's talking about with regards to this, but dd11 is still feeling kinda skeptical (I should mention, I pulled her out last year at the end of grade 5, so this was our first year of hs'ing - and she doesn't really know that many other hs'ers IRL) .....and I was wondering - there must be some members here who have older kids who've gone off to university or college after being hs'ed (or are about to) and maybe you could share a little bit of their story? I'd love to read them to my dd and show her that yes, there are hs'ers going to college and university and that if that's what she wants to do when she's older, she can!

:001_smile:

Our oldest just got home last night from his second year of college. He's doing well, loves the classes and the life, lives in a house with a bunch of other guys and is altogether having a wonderful time.

PPhft to the neighbor down the street, she doesn't know squat. Tell your dd that our other four are planning on attending their brother's college too.

Our oldest got home from his first yr of college Wed night. He was also a young college freshman turning 18 just a few days before he left for college last August.

Well......he now has 53 hours of college credit (which means he is only 7 hours from being a college JUNIOR!) He has a 3.6 GPA as a chemical engineering major in an excellent engineering program.

Homeschooling allows students to take college credits through dual enrollment during high school. It is an outstanding opportunity for bright kids to excel.

My oldest is an upcoming senior and will be starting her second year at the community college this fall. She's hoping to receive her AA degree and then transfer to a 4-year school. (It's less expensive to do the cc route, at least in our state, as she'll be guaranteed admission to any 4-year in-state college or university).

I highly recommend it and will be doing the same thing with my younger children, once they're capable of college-level work.

I know large numbers of homeschoolers who not only went on to colleges or universities, but got into very good colleges and universities. Often, they have college credit before starting college due to AP credits, taking some high school classes at community colleges, or even taking a course or two at a local university.

The only kids I know who didn't go on to college are from a family whose personal belief system does not hold college as a desireable goal.

One way you can verify that homeschoolers go to colleges and universities is to look under admissions on college websites. They will usually have specific things written for homeschoolers (such as what percentage of homeschoolers are accepted, how many SAT II's the require, etc.)

So, you can tell your daughter that, not only did this particular homeschooler go to college, but she started when she was 12. She's in an early entrance program specifically for gifted girls, and was the youngest in her class.

She's had a great year, done quite well academically and made some good friends. She also sang with two vocal groups and dabbled with doing her own show on the campus radio station.

She has already chosen her dorm room for next year and has registered for her fall semester classes. She applied to be on the orientation committee to welcome freshmen and was invited to apply to be a peer advisor.

The path each student takes to get to college may be a little different for homeschoolers, but they can and do get there.

My dd just finished up her junior year of college and is the president of the English Honor Society chapter on campus. She attends school courtesy of a very nice academic scholarship.

Not only can your dd attend college, but colleges will WANT her as homeschooled students tend to be more self-disciplined and independent learners.

My dd did not have any trouble when applying to the university of her choice. They took one look at her SAT's and her transcript from the local CC (where she had taken classes her jr. and sr. year of hs) and told her she would be accepted and that she would hear back soon about their scholarship offer. Colleges like hsers because they already know how to study, so they make very good students.

:DThank you Thank you Thank you!! :D

She'll be up in a bit and I'm gonna show these to her - as well as have a peek in the high school section and follow the advice to check out college's websites for info...

Thanks again! Much appreciated - she's at the age where she doesn't just take *my* word for things quite as easily as she did when she was younger, and this 14 year old who told her she couldn't go is one of the somewhat idolized "older girls" in the neighbourhood. (She is actually good kid but she doesn't know anything about homeschooling!)

:DThank you! :D