Menu

Thermostat is set at 72

Temp inside is 76. Temp outside is 74.

Other than a Greek hell, is there a reason for this? [insert maniacal laughter]

Use a meat thermometer to check the sir temp coming out of your vent. It should be far cooler than 70. You may have a freon leak.

Use a meat thermometer to check the sir temp coming out of your vent. It should be far cooler than 70. You may have a freon leak.

I don't have a meat thermometer, but that's not the point. If it's broken, the landlord isn't going to fix it.

This is FUNNY. I bet y'all didn't think this could happen to a person TWICE.

I don't have a meat thermometer, but that's not the point. If it's broken, the landlord isn't going to fix it.

This is FUNNY. I bet y'all didn't think this could happen to a person TWICE.

Well, I don't know the terms of your lease. I was just trying to answer your question. Do you have a small thermometer, like used for school?

Well, I don't know the terms of your lease. I was just trying to answer your question. Do you have a small thermometer, like used for school?

It's not our lease terms, just a not-so-good landlord. If it's broken, we'll see what we can do.

My point is THIS IS FUNNY. Remember 2008? Totally different landlord, a/c didn't work. They said we just needed to keep all the doors open (w/ a 1yo who'd get into everything if I did) & all the lights & computer off. *We* were overheating the apt by, you know, *using* it.

And I was 9mos pg w/ #4. And we had a home birth. :lol:

Is the fan on the outside unit running? Go outside and check it. If it's not, look around for a little red button that says "reset" (mine is just above the ground where all the wires and hoses come out). Push the reset button and see if the fan comes on.

My a/c stops working a lot (especially in the spring and fall when its not especially hot out), and this usually fixes it.

Can you see the AC unit? Could it be frozen up? I've had that happen when the outside temperature isn't that warm yet. Perhaps a couple of hours turned off might do the trick.

Or you could always try my last ditch effort at "fixing" an ailing appliance. Cut the power to it for a while to let it thaw and/or reset. Then turn it back on and hope. It actually worked for my microwave!

Can you see the AC unit? Could it be frozen up? I've had that happen when the outside temperature isn't that warm yet. Perhaps a couple of hours turned off might do the trick.

Or you could always try my last ditch effort at "fixing" an ailing appliance. Cut the power to it for a while to let it thaw and/or reset. Then turn it back on and hope. It actually worked for my microwave!

Thaw? That's funny! It's been in the 90s most days for over a month. We've had one day that almost hit 100. A/c's been on since Jan or Feb.

Check the reset button and run outside to see if the fan is spinning. You may need a repair man. Sometimes if you call with enough information/details they know a few things to try before coming out.

I hope it works, Texas must be nearing hot by now. (Our temp is 47' here.)

I can hear it running, but when I reach in front of the vents, I don't feel anything.

Check the reset button and run outside to see if the fan is spinning. You may need a repair man. Sometimes if you call with enough information/details they know a few things to try before coming out.

I hope it works, Texas must be nearing hot by now. (Our temp is 47' here.)

Fan is spinning. Have changed the filter.

Ours will freeze up occasionally. There is a condenser coil that goes from our ac unit to the inside. It will have ice on it if it's froze up. We just have to switch the cool to off and turn the fan to on till we feel the room temp cool down. The culprit for it freezing is usually a dirty filter.

:iagree: Even on the hottest of days, the condenser can freeze up. You will have to turn off the unit for an hour or two :glare: to see if this is the problem. Yes, sometimes just turning the fan on will speed things up. Hang in there. It wouldn't hurt (hopefully) to give the landlord a call anyway.

Edited by Blueridge

Wow! I didn't know a landlord could ignore such problems. We have a house that we rent and we installed a whole new ac/heater system when it went out, to the tune of $5,500.

Gosh, we've been called to fix all kinds of things - and we fix them. One renter authorized a whole new faucet for a simple leak and stuck us with the bill. We ended up paying it but told them not to do anything like that again. They didn't, thank heavens!

We also hire companies to do routine maint. on things like the ac/heater.

I am sorry you're going through this. Is there some state or local agency that regulates landlords? Or advocates on behalf of renters?

I hope you find the problem and it is a quick and easy fix. Then I hope you find a better landlord. :grouphug:

Denise

Seriously, check if it's frozen. It could be, even though it's so hot. If it is, turn it off, and let it thaw. You might still need a repair person, but maybe not.

I turned it off, but is there a way to know if it's frozen? The outside fan was spinning.

Wow! I didn't know a landlord could ignore such problems. We have a house that we rent and we installed a whole new ac/heater system when it went out, to the tune of $5,500.

Gosh, we've been called to fix all kinds of things - and we fix them. One renter authorized a whole new faucet for a simple leak and stuck us with the bill. We ended up paying it but told them not to do anything like that again. They didn't, thank heavens!

We also hire companies to do routine maint. on things like the ac/heater.

I am sorry you're going through this. Is there some state or local agency that regulates landlords? Or advocates on behalf of renters?

I hope you find the problem and it is a quick and easy fix. Then I hope you find a better landlord. :grouphug:

Denise

The landlord issue is a separate question. Our old ones were nice enough, they just couldn't fix the unit. It was attached to the whole apt complex. A friend's unit was cold; mine was stuck at around 90 degrees. They came out when we called, they fixed other things, but they were pretty condescending about the a/c issue because I was pg. They'd come in from outside, where it was 100+ & make comments about how nice it felt inside the apt. :glare: Yeah, for a second it does.

Anyway, we moved to a house, also managed by them, & they cut our move out fees by a bunch because of the a/c. (First they'd admitted there was a problem, lol.)

These new guys have sent someone out every time we've called, but the problems are not always resolved. And they've gotten very snippy about trying to frame up the problems as our fault, threatened to charge us for repairs, etc.

So they might fix it. I'll call them if I have to, but only if I *have* to. We have absolutely no $$ for repairs, attorneys, anything, so we're trying to just live w/ stuff & stay low. Our lease is up at the end of Sept. We're packing now.

If your thermostat is digital, have you tried changing the batteries? BTDT - it was the batteries every time for us.

But then wouldn't it *feel* cool even if it *says* it's hot? I don't care; I'm trying it anyway, but if you answer before I climb over the clutter that guards my desk, you could save me a trip. ;)

But then wouldn't it *feel* cool even if it *says* it's hot? I don't care; I'm trying it anyway, but if you answer before I climb over the clutter that guards my desk, you could save me a trip. ;)

Nope. Everything would be all catawampus. Hope it's just the battery!

Nope. Everything would be all catawampus. Hope it's just the battery!

Shoot. No change. Dh says it sounds electrical, so maybe it was the storm. As long as that's the *obvious* reason, we should have no trouble w/ the landlord. *sigh*