Menu

vertigo! any tricks for getting over this faster?

I have vertigo but it's been years since my last episode so any meds I had are long past any throw out date if I even have them anymore.

I do not have a Dr established for this here b/c it hasn't been an issue in years.

Any tricks I can do at home to get over the 'falling' feelings sooner? It started yesterday but today it's taking all I have to stay focused to keep the room from spinning and me not falling when I walk.

I can't lie down....it makes it worse. I have the 'positional vertigo' that means I have to stay upright or it gets worse....but staying upright is hard right now! :001_huh:

I have no medical advice, just something I read on the internet :D

However, I always thought it would be the first thing I would try if I ever had to deal with vertigo. Since it is easy and free!

The account I read was of a lady who "cured" her vertigo by drinking a huge amount of water. Like a couple of quarts at first and then more as she could. I think she felt quite a bit better right away and kept up the extra water for couple of days?

She added a small amount of salt to the water after a while. I believe she also took a magnesium supplement.

Anyway - could be totally bogus, but I don't see how it could hurt you. (I mean, I know you can kill yourself drinking too much water, but just don't drink more than you are "able" and that shouldn't be an issue:) )

I hope this resolves quickly for you.

Jen

My MD gave me a series of exercises to do that really helped. If you google vertigo exercises, you will find videos and explanations of how to do this. I had vertigo off and on for most of a year, but this always worked and I never had to take any medication. I have been vertigo free for a couple of years now, but I know the risk of return is always there.

I had vertigo one time due to a nurse cleansing out my ears and knocking the "crystals" loose in the ears that keep our balance. I wasn't a happy camper. Everything was spinning. The doctor game me some head exercises to do in order to "put the crystals back in place." I don't have them anymore but I'm sure they are probably somewhere on the internet.

You can try Eply:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

That helped me a few months ago when I had BPPV.

:iagree: I think I actually did the Semont maneuver. It can be found on the same page as Veritaserum linked.

Please be sure that you have your dh or someone other adult there to help you. I didn't think I really needed to go to a doctor as the site recommends, but I would not recommend doing it alone. When I did the maneuver and rolled into the face-down position, my dh's hands holding on to my legs and his voice reassuring were all that kept me from freaking out. The dizziness went from annoying to almost unbearable in that position. You really need someone there to help you out of a position after the recommended time if you experience that type of intense dizziness.By the third or fourth time through the series of positions, I was no longer experiencing overwhelming vertigo in that position, and I felt much, much better upon standing up.

I think the site recommends doing the exercises a couple of times a day for a few weeks. I found that I was about 90% better after one morning and one evening session. I did it for a few more days just to be sure, but after that I didn't see the need.

I hope it helps! Vertigo is awful, but these exercises made a huge difference for me right away. I hope they help you as well! :grouphug: