Menu

PR2 users...a couple questions please? I used PR1 this year and...

HappyGrace

I just wanted to mention the DVDs. There are some things that irk me about the DVD. I wish that when the teacher's manual says, "define adjective" that would be in the TM and not just on the DVD. I do skip them most of the time... but when I have watched them they really impact my teaching. It comes naturally after watching the DVD. I had a lot of trouble implementing AAS, so this was a big deal for me. We can also watch certain lessons together, like the one where new phonograms are introduced or the one that reviews all of the songs. So I just wanted to clarify that the DVD is not always a negative. PR isn't perfect, but nothing is... we just have to weigh the pros and cons and ultimately find what will get done in our family.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to mention the DVDs. There are some things that irk me about the DVD. I wish that when the teacher's manual says, "define adjective" that would be in the TM and not just on the DVD. I do skip them most of the time... but when I have watched them they really impact my teaching. It comes naturally after watching the DVD. I had a lot of trouble implementing AAS, so this was a big deal for me. We can also watch certain lessons together, like the one where new phonograms are introduced or the one that reviews all of the songs. So I just wanted to clarify that the DVD is not always a negative. PR isn't perfect, but nothing is... we just have to weigh the pros and cons and ultimately find what will get done in our family.

:iagree: There have been times when I skipped the DVD and we just worked through on our own. However, I don't feel like this is the preferred method and would not recommend it. I have found, like Carmen, when I watch the DVDs I get so much more out of it. The benefits are far reaching and it gives me that amazing teacher training. :001_smile:

Depends on the grammar foundation your child has. How 'bout writing foundation? If the answer is not much or just a little, start with 2. If the answer is a good beginning, then 3 will do!

I'm looking more towards next year, which means we will have finished AAS 1-6, WWE2, and FLL3 and other grammar programs. We may add in CLE 3 Reading and try to finish it, but most of the writing will probably have to be in the form of narrations with me writing it down for her. DD is not just at the stage where she can write a lot but maybe by next year as I add in more copywork this year, she can get used to writing. We haven't had any other writing except for WWE1 and a daily 1-sentence copywork from Graded Studies in Great Authors or from a history/science lesson. I'm hoping to skip the major phonics portion of PR (1 and 2?) since DD is a strong reader and I don't care to spend a portion of the cost on that area.

So, do you think I should add in more writing between now and next year (WWE3 or another program?) in preparation for PR3?

And, what kind of writing foundation is required before starting PR3?

I'm looking more towards next year, which means we will have finished AAS 1-6, WWE2, and FLL3 and other grammar programs. We may add in CLE 3 Reading and try to finish it, but most of the writing will probably have to be in the form of narrations with me writing it down for her. DD is not just at the stage where she can write a lot but maybe by next year as I add in more copywork this year, she can get used to writing. We haven't had any other writing except for WWE1 and a daily 1-sentence copywork from Graded Studies in Great Authors or from a history/science lesson. I'm hoping to skip the major phonics portion of PR (1 and 2?) since DD is a strong reader and I don't care to spend a portion of the cost on that area.

So, do you think I should add in more writing between now and next year (WWE3 or another program?) in preparation for PR3?

And, what kind of writing foundation is required before starting PR3?

Sounds to me like PR3 will meet you where you are.

Well said :) I think I use the completed BC in the TM as much as the daily lessons, but it would be pretty nifty if that was all in one place...written down together, I mean. I think I'll chat with Mrs. Beers about this at convention. I can't wait!

Yes, I too wish there was a more thorough teacher's guide. Once you are familiar with the program, you don't always NEED to watch the dvds to know HOW to teach. I do think level 2 and 3 improve on this. There are at least schedules that tell you to work on a building code or teach a new part of speech. Most of that was on the dvds in level 1. But, adding in definitions and such would keep me from even having to watch the grammar portion of the dvds. I forward through most of the spelling portion just so I catch the reminders to add a word to a BC. It would be very easy to note which Rule Tune and Building Code apply to a word on the actual spelling list. I do that when I watch the dvds, but if it were already there, I would never watch the spelling portion at all.

I will say that I wish the Literature study dvd was more thorough. I haven't watched level 3 yet, but in level 2 I often found that she just said DO a particular page, but really didn't tell you how. I can handle the spelling and the grammar portion with just more notes. I don't usually feel that I need more instruction on how to teach those things. Writing is my weak area and I would like her to actually give me detailed instructions. She would say that some information was on certain pages of the book, but I wished she actually walked me through the process of going through the book and gathering that information. Then show me how to take my student from there to actually summarizing or rewording it to put on the notebook page. Or, sometimes I was left to guess whether she meant for something to be dictated from her completed notebook page or if we were supposed to come up with our own words. I do think she got better as the study progressed. But, in the beginning I would get ready to do the study, look at the plan for the day, think I must have missed something when I watched the dvd because I wasn't exactly sure how to guide ds in getting his notebook page done, go back to watch again, and find that she just said to complete the notebook page.

So, I think the dvds are great....if you need them. I think many mommas would be much happier with the program if the teacher guide was more complete so that once you are confident in one area, you may skip watching that portion. If there is something that just REALLY needs to be seen on the dvd, note that in the guide so mom can just watch that one thing. But, I would be bored to tears watching EVERY spelling list be dictated. I don't need it after doing SWR, AAS, and PR. However, the dvds (at least in level 2) could provide a little more hand holding in the lit. study; at least for this momma.

Yes, yes, yes. Exactly!

Yes, I too wish there was a more thorough teacher's guide. Once you are familiar with the program, you don't always NEED to watch the dvds to know HOW to teach. I do think level 2 and 3 improve on this. There are at least schedules that tell you to work on a building code or teach a new part of speech. Most of that was on the dvds in level 1. But, adding in definitions and such would keep me from even having to watch the grammar portion of the dvds. I forward through most of the spelling portion just so I catch the reminders to add a word to a BC. It would be very easy to note which Rule Tune and Building Code apply to a word on the actual spelling list. I do that when I watch the dvds, but if it were already there, I would never watch the spelling portion at all.

I will say that I wish the Literature study dvd was more thorough. I haven't watched level 3 yet, but in level 2 I often found that she just said DO a particular page, but really didn't tell you how. I can handle the spelling and the grammar portion with just more notes. I don't usually feel that I need more instruction on how to teach those things. Writing is my weak area and I would like her to actually give me detailed instructions. She would say that some information was on certain pages of the book, but I wished she actually walked me through the process of going through the book and gathering that information. Then show me how to take my student from there to actually summarizing or rewording it to put on the notebook page. Or, sometimes I was left to guess whether she meant for something to be dictated from her completed notebook page or if we were supposed to come up with our own words. I do think she got better as the study progressed. But, in the beginning I would get ready to do the study, look at the plan for the day, think I must have missed something when I watched the dvd because I wasn't exactly sure how to guide ds in getting his notebook page done, go back to watch again, and find that she just said to complete the notebook page.

So, I think the dvds are great....if you need them. I think many mommas would be much happier with the program if the teacher guide was more complete so that once you are confident in one area, you may skip watching that portion. If there is something that just REALLY needs to be seen on the dvd, note that in the guide so mom can just watch that one thing. But, I would be bored to tears watching EVERY spelling list be dictated. I don't need it after doing SWR, AAS, and PR. However, the dvds (at least in level 2) could provide a little more hand holding in the lit. study; at least for this momma.

:iagree:

I fully agree with mothergooseof3's points above. If I had a way to not "have" to watch the dvd all the time I would have LOVED to stick with PR.

Tina, if you have any "pull" with offering suggestions to Ms. Beers, I would take notes from MGof3's post and see if she can do these things!

It would be an easy fix and would not require redoing the dvds, etc., just adding to the written papers.

And have her do it by this fall-lol-so I can reconsider! :)

I fully agree with mothergooseof3's points above. If I had a way to not "have" to watch the dvd all the time I would have LOVED to stick with PR.

Tina, if you have any "pull" with offering suggestions to Ms. Beers, I would take notes from MGof3's post and see if she can do these things!

It would be an easy fix and would not require redoing the dvds, etc., just adding to the written papers.

And have her do it by this fall-lol-so I can reconsider! :)

I fully intended to take notes and do this for you, but I can't seem to get through it either. :blushing: Ugh, yep, Mrs. Beers needs to do this so that I don't have to.

I think it is funny that I was sweating bullets because of our failure to get through PR 2 on time for you to use it... and then find out you are having the same problem with PR 1! :grouphug:

I am so thankful that you have been talking about this on here or I would still be trying to stick to PR and feeling guilty that I can't do it! Thank you HappyGrace!

I agree. I think having seen the bigger picture did make some things "make more sense" as I do them with the younger crowd.

HappyGrace, I sure will! I wish I could actually sit and have tea with her :D Someone should warn her...a stalker is coming soon! :tongue_smilie:

I have been thinking about this thread. My ds is almost done accelerating through PR2. He will start PR3 for 6th grade. Yes, he is behind, but things are finally sticking.

It sounds soooooo great to move him to workbooks for LA. A 6th grader should be able to do LA on his own, right???? I even asked him if he wanted to continue working with me or do workbooks. He said workbooks. We have done GWG in the past and that looks good, but then I remember that he didn't retain it. And, I was constantly having to make him correct punctuation or misspelled words or just super sloppy handwriting. CLE was the same. He could do spelling in a workbook, but with another program, I found that he still misspelled the words and had to correct them. Plus, I still have to do a test. Writing.....well, that is simply going to HAVE to be done with me standing over him and most writing programs are going to take as long as doing all portions of PR. This kid has no motivation to use neat handwriting, correct punctuation, spelling, or grammar unless I am sitting over him. I is not a lack of ability. He can do it. I think that I just allowed him to slack for so long with the excuses of me not knowing how to teach LA (I am an accountant, my sis is the Eng. teacher) and him being a boy. That developed bad habits and now I have to sit over him until those habits are changed.

So, even though it sounds great to move him to more independent studies for LA, I really don't see it freeing up any of my time. Plus, I would prefer to spend our time doing it the right way the first time than correcting everything. Much less frustrating!

I have been thinking about this thread. My ds is almost done accelerating through PR2. He will start PR3 for 6th grade. Yes, he is behind, but things are finally sticking.

It sounds soooooo great to move him to workbooks for LA. A 6th grader should be able to do LA on his own, right???? I even asked him if he wanted to continue working with me or do workbooks. He said workbooks. We have done GWG in the past and that looks good, but then I remember that he didn't retain it. And, I was constantly having to make him correct punctuation or misspelled words or just super sloppy handwriting. CLE was the same. He could do spelling in a workbook, but with another program, I found that he still misspelled the words and had to correct them. Plus, I still have to do a test. Writing.....well, that is simply going to HAVE to be done with me standing over him and most writing programs are going to take as long as doing all portions of PR. This kid has no motivation to use neat handwriting, correct punctuation, spelling, or grammar unless I am sitting over him. I is not a lack of ability. He can do it. I think that I just allowed him to slack for so long with the excuses of me not knowing how to teach LA (I am an accountant, my sis is the Eng. teacher) and him being a boy. That developed bad habits and now I have to sit over him until those habits are changed.

So, even though it sounds great to move him to more independent studies for LA, I really don't see it freeing up any of my time. Plus, I would prefer to spend our time doing it the right way the first time than correcting everything. Much less frustrating!

Have you thought about doing a workbook for spelling but using Bridge for the grammar etc? That might be a good compromise and get him on track a bit faster than doing PR3 and PR4.

Heather

Have you thought about doing a workbook for spelling but using Bridge for the grammar etc? That might be a good compromise and get him on track a bit faster than doing PR3 and PR4.

Heather

This has never occurred to me. I think the Bridge would be the perfect solution to the grammar issue. I don't think he really NEEDS two more years of the grammar in PR to prepare for the Latin Road if we go that direction. I like that it says to watch the dvds WITH your child.

I would have to find the perfect spelling workbook. It has to fit in with my SWR, AAS, PR background. I don't know that he will really learn much from a workbook.

I have a friend that has the IEW TWSS and will let me borrow it for a bit. I may compare this with the writing in the literature studies of PR. Which would streamline line us a bit? Which would avoid frustration? Writing is NOT going to progress with this kid if it is too frustrating. He HATES it! This is my main area of consideration. I think the Bridge would be the perfect grammar solution. I really think between dictation and a workbook, we could do okay with spelling. But, writing is our weak area and I don't want to mess it up any further.

Thanks for the idea. I will definitely be researching this as an option. I do have PR3 though and have already begun watching the dvds.

Heather

Honestly, the writing is so neatly laid out and perfectly incremental, it's worth staying the course, imo, since you're building from level to level.

It is a good point that not every kid will be more independent or benefit from switching from PR.

I thought that PR 3 really didn't have much in the way of spelling?

Carmen, the word study IS the spelling. For each base word they learn, they add in about 12-15 spelling words, too. THere is a TON of spelling in levels 3&4 -- and not just the here's a list, practice with activities kind, but instead the learn the symantics of this word and watch for patterns. It's effective and then takes the spelling knowledge a step further to reinforce word meaning/origin/application of pre/suffixes. It's good stuff.

Well, I have been delving into my PR3. I must say, I am impressed.

First of all, the TG is better. There is a detailed schedule of what to complete each day. I watched the first 5 weeks of everything, but assumed fairly quickly that it wasn't necessary, at least for me. For spelling, building codes, and framing codes you are pretty much just reviewing the past two years. You move quickly though so the work load is more. I will say it could be arranged better, but between the schedules and the completed pages, I don't feel the need to continue watching the dvds for these areas. She still does not actually define the parts of speech in the TG, but that doesn't bother me. I just remember someone stating that as a complaint in the previous levels.

I don't have this in front of me, but you spend the first 8 ??? weeks reviewing the spelling words from the previous lessons. Then through week 17, you look up the part of speech of each word and note it beside the word in your spelling log. So, for independence in spelling, weeks 9-17 are mostly the student doing this bit of research on their own. After that, new words are introduce a few at a time and the student looks up the part of speech for those.

Grammar, well the first 17 weeks are spent reviewing previous levels. Most of it will require teacher time, but some can be partly dictated to the child, then them left to apply the rules. An example would be tenses: you dictate the present tense and then you could leave the child to finish the past and present tenses in their own time.

After week 17, the grammar study comes from the second lit. study. I have not gotten into that yet, but will update when I do.

As for the lit. study, this is where I need help teaching so I appreciate the dvds. I am finding that there is more hand holding here than in PR2. I stopped watching the spelling and grammar portions after week 5, but continued watching the lit. study through week 11. Mrs. Beers is much better about taking you through the reading, selecting phrases and such, then describing how to get that to the notebook page. Sometimes it is narration, sometimes summarizing. But, she helps you go through and highlight what you need, list it on the board, then tells you how to have the child fill in their page. So far, there have been several great assignments. The ones that stick out in my head are character summaries, other summaries, outlining, and writing from that outline. She explains that she is teaching the child the tools needed to build their writing. I get frustrated because I do not see my son moving through this process as quickly as I would like. However, I am using this with a soon to be 6th grader that needs remediation in his writing. So, the process is going to take time.

I feel comfortable not watching the spelling/grammar study for now. I will continue to watch the lit. study and only watch the other if I run into a specific question that I cannot figure out just from the TG.

After going through PR1, PR2 seemed like a WOW thing. The way the grammar was introduced and the lit. study incorporated the writing was great. I know I will enjoy it much more when I use it with my younger kids and get to see how it is building them. Now PR3 looks great. I am just struggling with wanting an older child to be at a place he is not and will not be until the we build the skills he needs.

I will still watch IEW since I can borrow it from a friend. I may see some tips in there that help me to teach him. I so want to do their program with ds in the fall, but I cannot see trying to do both. I think doing PR3 at the scheduled pace will be a full load. Plus, we do dictation and copywork in other subjects sometimes.

I will be watching more of the lit. study after dinner!

Well, I have been delving into my PR3. I must say, I am impressed.

First of all, the TG is better. There is a detailed schedule of what to complete each day. I watched the first 5 weeks of everything, but assumed fairly quickly that it wasn't necessary, at least for me. For spelling, building codes, and framing codes you are pretty much just reviewing the past two years. You move quickly though so the work load is more. I will say it could be arranged better, but between the schedules and the completed pages, I don't feel the need to continue watching the dvds for these areas. She still does not actually define the parts of speech in the TG, but that doesn't bother me. I just remember someone stating that as a complaint in the previous levels.

I don't have this in front of me, but you spend the first 8 ??? weeks reviewing the spelling words from the previous lessons. Then through week 17, you look up the part of speech of each word and note it beside the word in your spelling log. So, for independence in spelling, weeks 9-17 are mostly the student doing this bit of research on their own. After that, new words are introduce a few at a time and the student looks up the part of speech for those.

Grammar, well the first 17 weeks are spent reviewing previous levels. Most of it will require teacher time, but some can be partly dictated to the child, then them left to apply the rules. An example would be tenses: you dictate the present tense and then you could leave the child to finish the past and present tenses in their own time.

After week 17, the grammar study comes from the second lit. study. I have not gotten into that yet, but will update when I do.

As for the lit. study, this is where I need help teaching so I appreciate the dvds. I am finding that there is more hand holding here than in PR2. I stopped watching the spelling and grammar portions after week 5, but continued watching the lit. study through week 11. Mrs. Beers is much better about taking you through the reading, selecting phrases and such, then describing how to get that to the notebook page. Sometimes it is narration, sometimes summarizing. But, she helps you go through and highlight what you need, list it on the board, then tells you how to have the child fill in their page. So far, there have been several great assignments. The ones that stick out in my head are character summaries, other summaries, outlining, and writing from that outline. She explains that she is teaching the child the tools needed to build their writing. I get frustrated because I do not see my son moving through this process as quickly as I would like. However, I am using this with a soon to be 6th grader that needs remediation in his writing. So, the process is going to take time.

I feel comfortable not watching the spelling/grammar study for now. I will continue to watch the lit. study and only watch the other if I run into a specific question that I cannot figure out just from the TG.

After going through PR1, PR2 seemed like a WOW thing. The way the grammar was introduced and the lit. study incorporated the writing was great. I know I will enjoy it much more when I use it with my younger kids and get to see how it is building them. Now PR3 looks great. I am just struggling with wanting an older child to be at a place he is not and will not be until the we build the skills he needs.

I will still watch IEW since I can borrow it from a friend. I may see some tips in there that help me to teach him. I so want to do their program with ds in the fall, but I cannot see trying to do both. I think doing PR3 at the scheduled pace will be a full load. Plus, we do dictation and copywork in other subjects sometimes.

I will be watching more of the lit. study after dinner!

Thanks for your review :)

Thank you Sandi! I really appreciate all those details. I have PR 3 here but haven't really looked at it yet.

I also wanted to say, that I know exactly how you feel. :grouphug: My dd is accelerating through PR and we are in the same boat. She's currently in 6th and is a very reluctant writer. It's been a real struggle, I've also wished this process would be faster and she would be ahead of where she currently is. However, I think you're right, it's just going to take time. Mrs. Beers recommended doing Pr 3 and 4 at regular pace and that's what I plan to do. That will put her in 8th finishing PR 4, not really my ideal but that's just the way it's going to be. I know the writing really looks like it picks up in 3 and 4. I may also add in IEW in 8th.

We *will* finish PR 2 by end of summer if Tina has to come to my house and kick my booty to get it done. Actually...after this weekend we have no company, nowhere to go, nothing to do, so it's back to work, baby! My kids won't know what hit 'em. LOL

PR 3 will start at regular pace for my DS (4th in fall) and I *might*, big *might* move my DD (6th in fall) a little faster. Then PR 4 the following year.

I just reviewed IEW SWI-A for the last few months and the way it teaches writing is amazing. It will be a perfect, perfect next step program for after Phonics Road, IMO. The only thing I didn't like about the SWI-A was having extra writing on top of what I was wanting to do with our regular curriculum. I'm going to invest in the TWSS instead and be able to use our Oak Meadow (5) curriculum to use as our source material. I think between PR and IEW writing *in* the OM, we'll have a great year. I'm really looking forward to seeing all these foundational skills we've been working on come together for my DD next year.

I, too, feel frustrated sometimes that we aren't where I wish we were, but it is really neat to see my kiddo's gain confidence and skills. It's also a relief to know that my younger kiddo's won't have to go through this.

We *will* finish PR 2 by end of summer if Tina has to come to my house and kick my booty to get it done. Actually...after this weekend we have no company, nowhere to go, nothing to do, so it's back to work, baby! My kids won't know what hit 'em. LOL

PR 3 will start at regular pace for my DS (4th in fall) and I *might*, big *might* move my DD (6th in fall) a little faster. Then PR 4 the following year.

I just reviewed IEW SWI-A for the last few months and the way it teaches writing is amazing. It will be a perfect, perfect next step program for after Phonics Road, IMO. The only thing I didn't like about the SWI-A was having extra writing on top of what I was wanting to do with our regular curriculum. I'm going to invest in the TWSS instead and be able to use our Oak Meadow (5) curriculum to use as our source material. I think between PR and IEW writing *in* the OM, we'll have a great year. I'm really looking forward to seeing all these foundational skills we've been working on come together for my DD next year.

I, too, feel frustrated sometimes that we aren't where I wish we were, but it is really neat to see my kiddo's gain confidence and skills. It's also a relief to know that my younger kiddo's won't have to go through this.

I'm in the same boat w/ dd. She'll start PR4 if we ever get around to it or we'll take it next year and complete it. She'll be in 6th next year. I wish she were writing more, too, but I really love the progression in PR. It makes sense to me and I love pulling it from lit. We'll get there...patience has it's perfect work, right?!

And, amen...the Little League has no worries! Funny, too, how I have chilled out and am so focused on fundamentals. It's amazing what a difference solid foundations make (duh!)!