Menu

s/o - Rice as a staple

We eat a lot of brown rice, usually basmati, which I make in my rice cooker.

I will often make a combination of vegetables, rice, beans or lentils right in the cooker, and sometimes I will steam some fish in the steamer at the same time. It is *so* easy, and very healthy. Sometimes we eat it right away, and sometimes I store it for those who take their lunches or eat separate meals because of activities. 1 cup rice, 1/2 cup lentils, and 3 cups liquid (broth, usually) plus a hefty dose of veggies sauteed in the cooker before adding the rice/lentils/liquid is a good mix. The lentils are done when the rice is done, so it works well. Often we add a touch of feta or Parmesan or asiago cheese at the table.

When I have a lot of teens over, I make onions/garlic/peppers/tomato/corn/beans, provide grated cheese and sometimes guacamole, and they scoop it up with tortilla chips. This is very popular and even the picky kids will eat it, plus it's ok for the vegetarians.

The only time I make "plain" rice is when we have Yellow Rice, often served with salmon. I use the Vigo mix (with the flamenco dancer on the yellow plastic packet), which is far and away superior to any other yellow rice mix I've tried.

Can anyone recommend a good variety of brown rice? We like rice that's sticky, so we can eat it with chopsticks.

Wendi

Most of the time we use a Cal-Rose brown rice.

The brown rice I like best though is Sukoyaka Genmai http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.toirokitchen.com/toiro/FAQ_files/IMG_0014.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.toirokitchen.com/toiro/FAQ.html&h=300&w=225&sz=29&tbnid=SVj20mbQK2PzOM:&tbnh=240&tbnw=180&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsukoyaka%2Bgenmai%2Bimage%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=sukoyaka+genmai+image&hl=en&usg=__T2FS6HIMVGqKJViYhBE1rxFNUwE=&sa=X&ei=zcSvTeC1K4v4sAOO4dDfCw&ved=0CB8Q9QEwAA

lt is a bit more expensive than other brown rice. It is brown but looks almost white. It cooks up softer too.

We eat a lot of brown rice, usually basmati, which I make in my rice cooker.

I will often make a combination of vegetables, rice, beans or lentils right in the cooker, and sometimes I will steam some fish in the steamer at the same time. It is *so* easy, and very healthy. Sometimes we eat it right away, and sometimes I store it for those who take their lunches or eat separate meals because of activities. 1 cup rice, 1/2 cup lentils, and 3 cups liquid (broth, usually) plus a hefty dose of veggies sauteed in the cooker before adding the rice/lentils/liquid is a good mix. The lentils are done when the rice is done, so it works well. Often we add a touch of feta or Parmesan or asiago cheese at the table.

When I have a lot of teens over, I make onions/garlic/peppers/tomato/corn/beans, provide grated cheese and sometimes guacamole, and they scoop it up with tortilla chips. This is very popular and even the picky kids will eat it, plus it's ok for the vegetarians.

The only time I make "plain" rice is when we have Yellow Rice, often served with salmon. I use the Vigo mix (with the flamenco dancer on the yellow plastic packet), which is far and away superior to any other yellow rice mix I've tried.

So you put the veggies, rice, lentils, broth, and fish in the cooker all at the same time? For how long? Forgive my ignorance, but I don't have a rice cooker and we don't eat a lot of rice. However, we just moved to China and I'm pretty sure I see a rice cooker and a lot more rice in my future:D so I've been following this thread trying to get some tips.

Thanks!

So I would put a bit of butter or olive oil in the rice cooker, and turn it to "cook". I'd then add chopped garlic and onion, plus perhaps celery, and saute until the onion is translucent. Then I'd add veg like carrots, or a can of (drained) tomatoes or corn, or diced red pepper. At the same time, I'd add the rice (usually 1 cup), the lentils (1/2 cup) or a drained can of beans. I'd also add enough liquid to cook the rice and (if I added them) the lentils. (2 parts liquid to one part rice, ditto for the lentils.) I might use broth, or water, or sometimes something thicker like coconut milk or a sauce from a jar. (But thicker liquid doesn't work at the same proportions; if I add something thick I usually don't count it as "liquid" and add some water as well.) Softer veg like mushrooms or zukes I'll add later, carefully laying it on the rice so it steams rather than boils, to some extent. I'd add mushrooms about 20 minutes before I expect the rice to be done, not sure about zuke timing.

For the fish, I use the steamer tray. I cover the tray with a layer of spinach or other greens. Then I lay the fish fillets in a single layer. I then top with a thin slice of lemon, and perhaps some diced tomatoes. I tuck brocolli around the edges. I put the tray into the cooker when there's about 20 minutes of cooking left (so about 20 minutes in for brown rice, or at the beginning for white). The fish and veg drip a little into the rice, which adds some flavor to the rice.

Some experimentation is useful. There are one or two books about doing this sort of thing in your rice cooker; most of what I've learned has been from reading reviews of high-end cookers and/or rice cooker cookbooks on Amazon.

Thanks! I'll look for it at the Asian market next time I'm there.

Wendi

I'm Chinese and grew up eating white rice (with a little meat & lots of stir-fried vegetables) at almost every meal. I admit that I just can't stand the taste of brown rice because I'm so used to perfect white rice.

It's much healthier than white bread as it doesn't have the extra additives/chemicals. It's also one of the least acidic grains compared to wheat which is very acidic. Luckily, I raised my kids to eat organic brown rice, but they loooove the white rice we get at (Chinese) church.

We use a (Miracle) stainless steel (interior) rice cooker. It doesn't make perfect rice like the typical non-stick interior cookers. The bottom sticks and turns crispy if you leave it on the warm setting too long so I have to take it off as soon as it finishes cooking. But I'm a bit wary of teflon so I'd rather waste a little rice than worry about our health.

Dc like Italian food though and eat most of their Chinese food with the grandparents. A favorite of ours is brown rice with chicken soup (chicken, lots of vegetables boiled for hours). My middle son tends to put apple sauce on his brown rice = yuck!

Edited by Sandra in FL