Menu

List of favorite books featuring homeschoolers

While reading the thread about avoiding books that talk about being in school, someone said they went out of their way to find books about kids who are homeschooled.

What is your favorite book featuring homeschooled kids? (fiction or non, but would really like some fiction my dd7 could read.)

I was the one who said that lol.... And I actually have a list on my blog of books featuring homeschooled characters:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/167361.html

That's the link to Titles A-M; when you get to the bottom, you'll see a "Continue To Part 2" link for titles N-Z.

:)

Working through your list right now :) I was wondering about Alabama Moon - is the content appropriate for an 8 year old? My dd reads a lot, mostly books in the 9-12 age range, but only the ones without "teen" content. Thought I'd best check. Looks like they made a movie of it also. Oh, but in going through the entire list, I'm not sure you read it.

Working through your list right now :) I was wondering about Alabama Moon - is the content appropriate for an 8 year old? My dd reads a lot, mostly books in the 9-12 age range, but only the ones without "teen" content. Thought I'd best check. Looks like they made a movie of it also. Oh, but in going through the entire list, I'm not sure you read it.

I haven't read that one, sorry! I did try to note if I came across references to things in some of the books being maybe not so appropriate for younger readers, but I have not read everything on the list by any means, although we are currently working our way through some of the list ourselves. :)

I was the one who said that lol.... And I actually have a list on my blog of books featuring homeschooled characters:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/167361.html

That's the link to Titles A-M; when you get to the bottom, you'll see a "Continue To Part 2" link for titles N-Z.

:)

Thank you so much, NanceXToo! We will definately be checking some of these out, too.

I just read Alabama Moon. I would not recommend it for an 8 year old. It was a great book, but there was a quite a bit of strong language. I would at least preview it before handing it over to your daughter. Though the cursing is appropriate (if there is such a thing) in context, it is something we try to avoid.

I got Alabama Moon for my then 9 yods last year. Fortunately I started reading it before him since I had heard it was such a great book--I wanted to see what it was all about. I could not get very far in it. I was appalled by the language in it. Such a shame. It seemed like a great story, and I'm sure it would have captured my reluctant reader's attention.