Menu

CC History Timeline cards

waterdreamer

Hi Guys!

I was recently given the Cycle 3 CDROM for Classical Conversations. Now I'm trying to get together all the items I need to run Cycle 3 to see if it is a good fit for my family. Do I need the whole collections of Veritas Press History Timeline cards. Or does cycle 3 only hit one or two packs?

Thank-you

Monique

I don't do CC anymore, but I did run into our local director recently. She mentioned they will only be using the VP timeline cards for another year and then will be introducing their own timeline cards. You might want to check into whether or not this is true.

Funny :) Wow!!! This is going to tick a lot of people.... Imagine... your $100 plus all the money it takes (and time) to laminate... and then you're suppose to do it again? Funny... a lot of things that are "one time purchases" are...well... not really a one time purchase, unless you think "Yes, purchase this once, and then they'll be something to purchase, again"...

I don't do CC anymore, but I did run into our local director recently. She mentioned they will only be using the VP timeline cards for another year and then will be introducing their own timeline cards. You might want to check into whether or not this is true.

Really? Can anyone verify this?

I did CC this year and we didn't purchase the timeline cards at all. I couldn't shell out that kind of money on top of paying our tuition. We learned the timeline just fine without them, so I say skip it unless you just really want to buy them. They don't actually incorporate into the program; they are just to use when learning the timeline. That's a lot of money to learn a timeline!

I had already planned on doing VP's 5 year history cycle, so for us... buying the history cards was just an early investment. Instead of investing in the cards, you could easily review the timeline at home by just watching one of the CC timeline videos on youtube, especially if you have no other plans for using them.

Really? Can anyone verify this?

I can't confirm that, but I know that the plans have been to make CC history cards eventually.

I do want to respond to something I have seen on a few recent threads about CC. CC families must buy the timeline cards. A Director is not allowed to give the information on the VP cards, either in writing or in class through Tutors, out to anyone who has not purchased the cards, because the events are the property of VP. They would have no way of actually checking that you did, of course, but I just wanted to correct that it is the rule.

I can't confirm that, but I know that the plans have been to make CC history cards eventually.

I do want to respond to something I have seen on a few recent threads about CC. CC families must buy the timeline cards. A Director is not allowed to give the information on the VP cards, either in writing or in class through Tutors, out to anyone who has not purchased the cards, because the events are the property of VP. They would have no way of actually checking that you did, of course, but I just wanted to correct that it is the rule.

Which, of course it's a rule...you're there each week and they are listed on the VP site, as well. Of course, that's the rule with the Foundations guide, too, but all of that is listed each week.... and also on the Online community... as well as all over... online...

So.... of course everyone will want to purchase it.

I've heard that there is a new Foundations Guide coming out the next year, too. (2012??)

Thank-you everyone for your advice!

Since there is no local group, I have decided that we are going to buy one pack of VP cards and work on them in the order VP suggests. This way I can buy them one at a time, which is more affordable for us right now. By next year I should have them all and then I can start teaching them the way the CC Foundation book recommends.

I just can't image swallowing a $100 bill to purchase something that may not be a good fit for my son and I. $20 I can deal with.

I don't want to get my director in trouble so let me clarify. She never gave us the informatin on the VP cards to us. She handed out a list of the timeline order and the hand motions to go with the timeline that our CC would use. I didn't think you could copyright historical events? (not being snarky, just curious)

Hmmm.... I finally bought the updated guide, but before I did I e-mailed CC directly to ask if they had plans of updating the guide next year. They told me that they did not have plans for an updated version at this time. If that isn't the case, I will not be very happy.

I did already have the VP cards, though. I do VP as well and think they are worth it!

Funny :) Wow!!! This is going to tick a lot of people.... Imagine... your $100 plus all the money it takes (and time) to laminate... and then you're suppose to do it again?

Just throwing this out there, if CC is producing the history timeline cards, they will likely be laminated already, like their science cards are.

O.K., so in theory, from where do you think cc will get their timeline events? Their history sentences follow along with the events in the Everything you Need to Know About History books (they even had references to the page numbers in the first edition). Do you think they will be those 72 events (all three cycles) to one tune? Or will the history sentences still be unrelated to the timeline? Or????

Edited by amy in ks

O.K., so in theory, from where do you think cc will get their timeline events? Their history sentences follow along with the events in the Everything you Need to Know About History books (they even had references to the page numbers in the first edition). Do you think they will be those 72 events (all three cycles) to one tune? Or will the history sentences still be unrelated to the timeline? Or????

Do you have a link for this book? I'd love to look at it.

Thanks!

I don't want to get my director in trouble so let me clarify. She never gave us the informatin on the VP cards to us. She handed out a list of the timeline order and the hand motions to go with the timeline that our CC would use. I didn't think you could copyright historical events? (not being snarky, just curious)

The list of which ones VP picked is actually copyrighted information. (Just like a booklist from WTM, etc. can't be shared in full. The book titles aren't copyrighted, but the list is.) CC has a deal with VP to use them as long as each family buys the information from them first.

And Angela, I understand what you're saying(and you are right) .... BUT, VP does list all the titles on their site, William Bortins...among others... are doing all of the VP timeline cards on Youtube.... so... if it's all over... I'm not sure it's being protected well. Well, I suppose that VP can put it wherever... but last time I looked... Leigh's son is STILL on youtube doing each and every card... So, until that's taken down, I don't see Directors being very concerned about their individual groups.

And Angela, I understand what you're saying(and you are right) .... BUT, VP does list all the titles on their site, William Bortins...among others... are doing all of the VP timeline cards on Youtube.... so... if it's all over... I'm not sure it's being protected well. Well, I suppose that VP can put it wherever... but last time I looked... Leigh's son is STILL on youtube doing each and every card... So, until that's taken down, I don't see Directors being very concerned about their individual groups.

Oh, I'm sure many arent'. But since I've seen it said a few times lately that you don't need them, I wanted to say that yes, according to CC policy, you do need to buy them. What anyone does with that info is their business, of course. :D

Thank-you so much!

I would say buy them if you can afford them. My kindergartener became memory master this year and I think the photos from the timeline cards are wonderful BUT they're probably not 100% necessary if you cannot afford them. CC is awesome though and I recommend it without a doubt!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, we are planning to buy the whole history timeline series, the teacher´s manuals increase the total cost a lot, do anybody recommend those?

If you are using them for CC, the TM won't really help, as you will be doing them out of order and at a pace of 8/week.

If you want to use some of the timeline cards as a base for a year's worth of history study, the TMs would help with that.