Menu

Gift for RCIA candidate?

I am sponsoring a lovely young woman who is joining the Catholic Church and will receive her sacraments at the Easter Vigil. I am wracking my brain to think of a gift to get her. She is a mom of a 1yo who works full time. I'd love to get her a book, but I don't want to get her something too heavy because I know she wants to devote most of her energy to her young son and husband with the little time she gets with them each day.

Any suggestions?

I'd look for something that would make her life a bit easier...be it a gift card for a meal, or groceries, or a book store.

I remember all too well the chaos and stress of working full time with little people at home...anything that made life a bit easier was always such a blessing.

Throughout my RCIA process, I recieved: a beautiful rosary, a religious medallion that I wore everyday until I lost it :(, a book of devotions, a missal, various books on the Mass, a book of household prayers...

Here is the link for the book of prayers. I *loved* this gift. It was perfect for someone who hadn't grown up religious and really didn't know how to incorporate prayer into my life. http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Household-Blessings-Prayers-Committee/dp/1574556452/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302975931&sr=8-1

A nice icon or crucifix. When we converted, one thing we tried to do was make our home Catholic and some icons and a crucifix went a long way towards reminding us of the change and commitment we had made.

I agree with this. I would love to get more crucifix(es?) lol...we are getting confirmed this Easter vigil as well. :)

I was a sponsor last year, and gave my friend a book-thong made by another friend (who makes them as a part-time business) inside a biography of her chosen patron saint. A lot of saint bios are written in almost a novel kind of tone, so not too terribly deep for a mom. I like the idea of a magazine, too - if she's thinking of homeschooling someday, Mater Et Magistra could give her a head start. Another book possibility is The Apostolate of Holy Motherhood, but it might be a little overwhelming when she's already starting something new (both in her faith and at home).

I agree with this. I would love to get more crucifix(es?) lol...we are getting confirmed this Easter vigil as well. :)

So are we--well, myself and my three daughters. My husband is already Catholic. I was going to go look for something special I could give each of my children. I like the ideas others have shared here. Thanks.