Menu

Please share your SN child's passions, strengths, and gifts . . .

He loves to learn! He so enjoys reading on the couch with me that he will read extra (this is huge!). He also has started asking to look up things he's interested in. He's also crazy good at spatial things and logic puzzles. I let him play the red remover game and he finished it in a couple hours.

Well, I used to think my son wasn't capable of "normal" imaginative play, but he's shown me otherwise. Of course, he doesn't always pretend to be "normal" things, for example today he was pretending to be a "ratchet mechanism" :lol:

That's too funny!!! :lol: It's extra funny to me because I was worried about the same thing with my ds. Once you have the verbal apraxia label, they start looking for spectrum disorders. So I was asking my dh if my ds plays imaginatively... He asked me if all the SHOOTING he does all day long is imaginative. :)

I never feel as people observant as I want to be, so this is hard. But my dd is a do-er, an incredible do-er. She has this ability to make things happen and be practical. Need your groceries bought? No problem. Want a meal cooked? No problem. Want to plan a party or event 3 months out? No problem. Want flowers arranged? No problem. While I'm sitting there making a grid to even space the flowers and fretting over where people will stand and unable to decide between three ways to cook the meat, she'll have it all done. It's just how she is. And she's very insightful about people, motives, and feelings. I think these two things are her gifts, the plus side of her problems. The artsy, creative ability to see things new ways and make them happen, to recognize what people need and anticipate their wants, I think it's her gift. She won't have tomato spelled right on the shopping list, haha, but she'll get it bought for you. :)

My moderate-to-severely dyslexic, apraxic speech disordered, possibly Asperger's DS is always the first to help someone in need. He's a hard worker, cares deeply for animals, and is hugely gifted with all things technical. He and his sister are also avid film makers. They have their own website here: http://www.dierenfeldtfilm.com

I spent many nights worrying about whether or not he would ever be able to read, and honestly, I still spend many sleepless nights worrying about him. I'm beginning to see, though, that his strengths and gifts wouldn't be the same without his weaknesses.

I love this, fantastic idea!!!

11yo (down syndrome): Can memorize every word of a movie after watching it 2 or 3 times then act out the entire thing. Loves music and memorizes songs quickly. Loves to tell stories, he has a vivid imagination. Very independant, he's always saying "I can do it" or "my turn". Very good at sharing. He is really clever and crafty, he can size you up quickly and figure out just what tricks to play on you to get his way. Can be the sweetest, most affectionate kid you've ever met. Can make anyone smile, he is a charmer and a lady's man. ;) When he makes up his mind about something you best just get out of his way cause here he comes, lol!

9yo (high-functioning autism): Amazing artist, he blows me away with his drawings. Very athletic, taught himself to ride a bike w/o training wheels and roller skate, picks up playing sports easily. Has a natural instinct to be very gentle with babies and toddlers. Very protective of his little sister. He's my cuddler, he is the one to jump up on the couch with me and snuggle. He's turning into a very handsome young man, all the girls around his age at church have crushes on him, lol! He is our helper, always ready to lend a helping hand. Is very good at math and loves, loves, LOVES science. Better than mom at video games. ;)

I spent many nights worrying about whether or not he would ever be able to read, and honestly, I still spend many sleepless nights worrying about him. I'm beginning to see, though, that his strengths and gifts wouldn't be the same without his weaknesses.

I feel the exact same way about both our boys.

My dd14 could be described as mildly dyslexic or having dyslexic tendencies. The EdPsych who evaluated her said her learning disabilities are subtle and easily missed. She struggled greatly with spelling and writing, but she is gifted in the areas of reading, literature, and word roots/origins. It's really weird how her greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses are both language-based. She remembers everything she reads.

My dd9 is severely dyslexic and has multiple diagnoses. She is funny, energetic, sweet, and cuddly. She plays piano and does Irish dance. I think that when her language processing issues are more fully remediated, we will find that she is gifted in math.

ds11 is amazing - a problem solver, makes friends easily, can make his little sister laugh like no other, is compassionate, regularly bowls over 150 with a personal high of 227, can operate his grandpa's back hoe better than some pros, always asks friends and new acquantiances to church with us - sometimes so many that we have to take 3 cars!

dd4 - well, she is just evolving :) she is tender and compassionate as well. Hysterically funny. Dramatic enough that an Academy Award may be in her future. organized. thoughtful and loving.

My ds7, diagnosed as high-functioning autistic at age two, is capable of making a fan or a helicopter out of anything he finds. He has an eye for details, and loves flowers that have a radial design. He states the truth as he sees it without hesitation. He knows that snow has a sound and a smell, and that sunbeams coming through clouds were meant to be danced in with your arms wide open. He will tackle anything you give him to do with a set jaw and a steely look in his eyes, because he has learned from experience that practice is the key to success.

he loves anything electronic--video games-"game boys-now DSI's I think LOL"---now is asking questions about circuits and such---loves his computer-is a whiz at math--can read just about anything you put in front of him--was sooo proud this AM-I was at my dr appt in exam room waiting on dr and zach asked what an ad for a certain med was for--(fibromyalgia) and I told him to come here and "read this" and he read FIBROMYALGIA correctly the first time 8yrs old!!! yay~~~!! ummm he loves jokes and being silly....love his dog and family....