Menu

Arlington HS Bookfair

I went last year for the first time and remember it being kinda crowded. DH wants to bring DD too (we're not planning on attending lectures, just the exhibit hall), but I'm nervous about it. She's been in "break free and run" mode lately.

I was wondering if we should wear some kind of beehive pin or something to identify ourselves? I know there are a bunch of WTM-ers in the DFW area, but I don't know if any of y'all come to this fair. I can't make Houston when SWB is speaking so this is my only shot.

I just wish PHP was going to be there. I suspect DH is glad they aren't (he sees $$$ flying away every time I bring up SWB or her books).

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't gone the past few years but am going this year. I have never attended on a Saturday before or w/o my child, so this will be a whole new experience for me. :lol: I'm used to dragging my child through the Friday crowd. :tongue_smilie:

I so wish PHP and Memoria Press would have a booth, but my checking account is grateful they aren't.

For those not receiving the letter - Rainbow Resource is going to rent out an exhibit hall across the way, at the Sheraton Hotel. :D

I haven't decided if I'm going or not. I'm motivated to drive over there so I can also check out Rainbows set up at the Sheraton. I just wanted to mention that I've heard Saturday is less crowded. I've always attended on Saturday and have not felt it was very crowded. I also wish more vendors that I use (Memoria and Peace Hill) would be represented at this book fair, but they never are.

I am hoping to go check out the Rainbow Resource set-up but I am still debating on going to the actual bookfair. I have been the last 2 years to look and help me decide on curriculum. Last year I took a spread sheet of those I had already decided on and the regular retail price. I was pretty disappointed that there weren't more show specials that made it worth the entrance fee. The "best" deals typically were only free-shipping. I typically don't attend any of the speakers because it isn't worth it with kids in-tow and my hearing loss. Maybe someday I can go sans kids and there will be a speaker that I want to see enough to try and negotiate accommodations.

I'm going Friday now, instead of Saturday (well, maybe Saturday too but not sure). Going to listen to Jim Weiss and the lady talking about homeschooling only one student - that's it. Looking at books, some curriculum. I want to see the curriculum, but probably won't buy a lot there because money got very tight very suddenly for us. Need to spread my purchases out some.

I wish PHP and Memoria would be there too, though I'm sure DH is glad they aren't (checkbook wise). What I really want to look at, and would buy, are their products.

Sigh....

I've never been--it just doesn't look worth it to me--but I'm wondering if those going out that way (whether to the fair or to RR or just happen to be nearby) should plan to meet up before/after for coffee or something?

I've been debating going to the RR set up but not the convention. (In the end, though, I think I'm going to have to wait & place an order w/ RR--$$ later vs $$ now.)

But it still might be fun to see you guys. Maybe. :lol:

But it still might be fun to see you guys. Maybe. :lol:

:001_tt2:

I'm headed there Friday AM after I drop DD off (hooray!) and should, in theory, assuming traffic doesn't go completely catty-whampus, be there at 9am. Exhibit hall, Jim Weiss, exhibit hall, homeschooling one child, done. In theory.

I'll try to wear a beehive pin. I'll be the kooky one with the "Seattle" bookbag.

Saturday - I don't know. I want to go, but DD has a make-up violin lesson in the am. Don't know if DH will want to go afterwards or not. Hope so, but you never know with him.

Dh and I will be there Friday. I always love going. I love looking at everything! Jim Weiss is going to be there this year. I am looking forward to listening to him.

:iagree: I'm looking forward to going on Friday. And dh is going with me! :001_smile:

The seminars look better this year than last year (in my opinion, anyway!). There are several I'm interested in rather than just one or two. I agree, though--I wish PHP was going to be there too.

:001_tt2:

I'm headed there Friday AM after I drop DD off (hooray!) and should, in theory, assuming traffic doesn't go completely catty-whampus, be there at 9am. Exhibit hall, Jim Weiss, exhibit hall, homeschooling one child, done. In theory.

I'll try to wear a beehive pin. I'll be the kooky one with the "Seattle" bookbag.

Saturday - I don't know. I want to go, but DD has a make-up violin lesson in the am. Don't know if DH will want to go afterwards or not. Hope so, but you never know with him.

I'd rather meet on Fri than Sat, too. I don't know what the convention hours are, but if you're planning to be there at 9AM...would an afternoon meet-up be better? I'm thinking something nearby, outside the convention. Starbucks or Panera or whatever.

I don't mind earlier, either, though--whatever most people are up for. It's hard to get the kids out the door before 9, but what a rush! When you don't *have* to, then it's fun--like an adventure. :lol:

I vote afternoon. I have to leave Arlington no later than 4:30 to pick up DD, 4:00 is better. I worry about Friday afternoon traffic.

I have NO IDEA what is around the convention center. I didn't even know there was a Sheraton, much less a RR set up there. Now I have to do both!! Maybe we could meet up around the Sheraton, since that seems to be a bigger draw?

I can't get there before 9am and will probably get there later given that will be the morning DD has a breakdown about getting out the door.

The exhibit hall opens at 8:30 so I want to be there as early as possible. Jim Weiss's CDs sold out early last year and that's my focus this year. That and looking at MUS.