Menu

What would you use for anatomy or chemistry for a first grader?

staceyobu

I am a CC Foundations Director and the Science Acts and Facts cards available through CC are a great tool for teaching with. As with the Veritas History Cards, they list facts on the back and also list references.

Usbourne Books are also really good for earlier ages for science. My kids ALWAYS loved the Flip Flap Body Book and See Inside Your Body.

I personally at home use R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey from Pandia Press. We are using Earth and Space, but they have a Life book which is super and is loaded with experiments that the youngers LOVE to do.

Good luck!

I think anatomy would be a better match for young ones. My 3rd and 4th grader are doing chem this year and honestly, it's a stretch for my 3rd grader and just fine for my advanced 4th. The concepts in Chem. are just a lot more difficult than biology related things such as plants and animals/human body.

My Body is a good book for this age!

If you're looking for a curriculum we love Elemental Science! We added the My Body book to it for a really nice unit on human anatomy.

I'm using Noeo Chem 1 with my 1st grader and it's great. It has a lot of experiments to illustrate the material which he loves. He's getting a good grasp of atoms, molecules, elements, solutions, and mixtures so far.

Ditto to all of this (except I have a dd!)....we love Noeo Chemistry I!!

We are planning to use Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. The plan is to NOT use it as intended, but instead to try and work through ONLY the lessons related to anatomy & chemistry. Then the following year, we would start back at the beginning and use it as intended, weaving the different strands together.

I purchase a lot from Discount School Supplies and we'll be doing the human body soon, so I picked up the Giant Paper Kids (set of 12 - $6.99). They have free shipping if you order a certain amount in one order.

We'll use them to create various body systems on the cut-outs....respiration & circulation, five senses, skeletal, muscles, digestion, brain & nerves, etc.....using paints, yarn, markers, crayons, and such.

I plan on using the See Inside Your Body Flap Book, Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body, Rock & Learn Human Body DVD, and Young Scientists Club: Magic School Bus Journey Into the Human Body Kit....projects will also included making a model of the brain, cell, and an eye with play-doh. And DS will watch a variety of videos on DE Science and Streaming once I can sort out which to assign him and when. We also have on hand various science encyclopedia-type books with good sections on the human body to include where needed.

I purchase a lot from Discount School Supplies and we'll be doing the human body soon, so I picked up the Giant Paper Kids (set of 12 - $6.99). They have free shipping if you order a certain amount in one order.

We'll use them to create various body systems on the cut-outs....respiration & circulation, five senses, skeletal, muscles, digestion, brain & nerves, etc.....using paints, yarn, markers, crayons, and such.

I plan on using the See Inside Your Body Flap Book, Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body, Rock & Learn Human Body DVD, and Young Scientists Club: Magic School Bus Journey Into the Human Body Kit....projects will also included making a model of the brain, cell, and an eye with play-doh. And DS will watch a variety of videos on DE Science and Streaming once I can sort out which to assign him and when. We also have on hand various science encyclopedia-type books with good sections on the human body to include where needed.

Santa brought the Magic Schoolbus Inside the Human Body kit and my girls LOVED it! We are working on the Space kit and Dinos now. They are very good introductions for the younger kids.