Menu

Does someone have a block schedule sample they would care to share?

What is a block schedule? (sorry.. this is probably obvious, but I am tired.. anyway, this bumps your thread :001_smile: )

:blush: was thinking the same thing, and here's another bump back to the first page. Someone here will know!

I feel like I should know what it is. I'm not tired, ... just, uh, ... slow. LOL

Block scheduling is like doing some subjects every day and others like twice a week or once a week. Here is my preliminary one for 1st.

Monday: Bible, math, LA, foreign language, science

Tuesday: Bible, math, LA, history/geography

Wednesday: Bible, math, LA, foreign language, science

Thursday: Bible, math, LA, history/geography, art

Friday: errands, shopping, homeschool park day

...and I have to fit PE in there, dd is starting tennis this summer, so it just depends on what day/time the local tennis organization schedules her practices.

Edited by PentecostalMom

Here is ours... we are flexible with it, but we use it as a guideline. It isn't really a block schedule, but I thought I would share.

Orange is the direct instruction time for the older kids, Blue is the direct instruction with my Kinder, Pink means independent work, Light Pink means computer work, and Purple means time with my husband doing electives.

post-9601-13535084721555_thumb.jpg

post-9601-13535084721555_thumb.jpg

Edited by babysparkler

Block scheduling is like doing some subjects every day and others like twice a week or once a wekk.

::lightbulb:: Ah, ok - I get it now!

My kids are in Kindergarten and 4th grade. I don't schedule science or art at this point, but both kids are self-motivated in these areas and I make available to them plenty of time, space, and supplies to indulge those interests. Eventually I'll add both formally, and - at least for middle school - I will likely do both in a block schedule format as well.

I schedule math and Latin for every day, plus an hour of independent reading when all seatwork is finished. (The bulk of our history and literature are covered during independent reading - he reads any of the books I've set aside, and we discuss later over the course of the day/week.) I did one year of IEW themed books, but haven't done formal writing since.

My Kinder-kid does math and penmanship every day, plus 15 minutes of independent reading and 15 minutes of reading aloud (minimum time for both.)

The only other thing we do every week is a U.S. state study, both kids. Once we've gone through all 50 states we'll switch over to doing one U.S. president per week. We always do this the day before our library day because part of our state study is to read fiction and non-fiction books relating to that state.

Our block schedule is more based on months, than it is on days. My kids are Catholic and do the Faith & Life curriculum. Instead of spreading that over a school year, we dedicate roughly a month to doing it to completion - typically, one lesson each day. Same goes for many other subjects. Here's what that looked like for the 2010-2011 school year:

October-until completed (in to Nov.): Faith & Life

November - January: no school for holidays other than history/lit readings

February - April: SOTW activity guide

May: All About Spelling, Mindbenders

June: Maps, Charts & Graphs

July - August: miscellaneous* and summer camps (this year, aviation)

*one year he did Greek, one year Real Science 4 Kids, one year keyboarding; I basically let him pick one or two areas of interest and give him a budget to plan and create his own mini unit study.

We review throughout the year, as needed, and continue to supplement. For example, the kids do faith-related things all year long - not just do F&L in the Fall and are done for the year. We dust off our Easy Grammar when his writing demonstrates need for a review. We would break out the AAS if his work showed he wasn't retaining the rules. And so forth.