Menu

Help me get our memory work done!

Aludlam

3 years of homeschool finished and still no memory work done! We've learned lots of things from the original list I made, (math facts, pledges,etc) but nothing on the magnitude that I've always hoped we would. How do you guys get the memory work done. As funny as it might seem, I actually forget to do memory work. It only crosses my mind when I find that old list. I need a no fail system ... or at least something better than the one I have now (nothing).

thanks everybody!

We do it in the car. Each kid has a "smarty pants" notebook. It is tabbed into sections:

- Bible

- Math

- Geography

- Timeline

- History

- Presidents

- Foreign Languages

- Science

- Music/Art

For almost everything we are memorizing, we use music initially. I have printed off a page for each item we have memorized, and they just follow along and sing. Once they are confident, we do it without the notebook, and I "try to trick" them. ("Aw, man, you knew that one too??? Y'all are so smart!!! But I bet you won't know this next one!")

I frantically change CDs as I drive and we just review as we go. For the most part, that's the only work we do on memory stuff, but they have learned so much!

- Bible verses: AWANA CDs

- The Ten Commandments: Veritas Press Blue CD with the board book "Hand Commands" by Ann Dunagan

- Books of the Bible: Classical Conversations CD with Bible Bookcase poster

- Christian catechism: Songs for Saplings

- Skip Counting: One Hundred Sheep (Christian) with hundreds chart

- Geography (solar system, continents & oceans, states): Audio Memory's Geography Songs CD (I am NOT a huge fan of the states & capitals CD)

- Timeline: I plan to use the Veritas Press CDs & cards (but haven't started this yet)

- Presidents: Veritas Press Yellow

- everything else: Classical Conversations Memory Work CDs (haven't started CC yet)

We do a lot of scripture memory as a family. I write down the verses that we are working on index cards. Everyone that knows how to read gets a card. Cards are lying on our kitchen table or counter - somewhere real obvious. Three times a day (I try for meal times, but sometimes forget) we pull out our cards and read over the verses 5 times. It's quick, painless and amazingly effective. Even my youngest who doesn't read yet, learns along with the rest.

We usually spend about a week on a five verse section.

I also like the idea of putting stuff to music. I will have to check out some of the ideas Megan posted.

Just to clarify - NONE of my kids are reading yet. The notebooks have pictures to jog their memories, and they can usually confirm whether they are right or not based on the first letter. Like they see the pic of George Washington, guess that it is GW, and see the W at the beginning of his name so know they are probably right. Same with the states. :)

I got pictures of AWANA verses from this AWESOME mom! (She put so much work into this, and my kiddos LOOVE these pictures!)

Created by Jolanthe @ http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com

I just posted this week how we do it at our house.

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-memory-time-works-at-for-us.html

I would say that you need to start having a regular time to get it done. For us right now that is first thing in the morning. We have done it in the past right before lunch.

I would also suggest starting small. Pick one thing to work on at a time. As that becomes a habit, add to it.

We use the Charlotte Mason method in a recipe-type file box. Every morning at breakfast, I pull out the file box and we do the memory cards for that day. ;)

This works for us. So far we've only done Bible and some poems.

Adding more next year.

We start our day with it. Then we don't forget or get too busy. Also, I let the kids do other things as long as I can hear them saying their memory work, so the kids like it because it feels like they get to put off starting school for something else. :-)

And, actually we aren't doing it this year, but that is how we have always done it in the past.

I would say that you need to start having a regular time to get it done. ...

I would also suggest starting small. Pick one thing to work on at a time. As that becomes a habit, add to it.

:iagree:

We use the Charlotte Mason method in a recipe-type file box. Every morning at breakfast, I pull out the file box and we do the memory cards for that day. ;)

We tried this method and various variations. Although it's a great idea and works well for some families, it didn't work for us.

We work on memory work in two phases: new items and review items. Each person has one new piece at a time and recites it to the family in the morning. Once items are memorized they go into the free computer program Anki and everyone reviews her deck daily.

Honestly?

That is the reason I joined Classical Conversations and it is a huge part of my testimony I give during info meetings.

The only thing missing is poetry and I did manage to get a couple of poems on top of their memory work this year.

However, the other responses also sound just as good.

HTH

[FTR, I will receive no $ from this response, even if you did join. :D]

:iagree: This is what we do too.

I only accomplish memory work if i write it down with all of the other assignments. If I don't see it, it doesn't get done. However, I have a deep need to check things off a list.

I also make MP3s of memory work for my beginning reader. I put them on an MP3 player and she listens to them while I am working with my oldest.

I group it with a subject it best "goes with" and then we do it before I do that subject...

For language, we use First Language Lessons, so we usually review the poem we are learning in that book before the language lesson for that day. (We are also usually told in the book to review the poem at the beginning of the lesson... so that helps me remember! ;))

But, take Bible study, for example. We are reading The Family Time Bible Reader, but I remember to review the Bible verses we want to memorize before we read/talk about our Bible lesson for that day.

With history, we will review the names of Pharaohs before we even listen to our chapter in The Well Trained Mind and do our map work, etc.

I tend to ask myself at the start of each new subject, "Is there any memory work we need to review before we start?"

That way, by the end of the day, we've done ALL our memory work by doing it before the subject that it bests "goes with."

...Works for us. :D Good luck.