Menu

Learning Styles Experts, If My Daughter Says...

SnMomof7

...that she writes things down in order to learn them, what does it mean about her learning style?

I often find her writing down notes, or making diagrams, or elaborating on the spelling rules I've given her on the whiteboard when we have it out. Today she told me, "Mom, I write things down to learn them."

She also likes to write her words on the board straight off instead of using the tiles.

Wow! I get the feeling I should do something with that knowledge! Does this mean she is a visual learner? Or...?

She seems to retain what she listens to on her iPod very, very well, and loves any one-on-one interactions during our homeschooling day (quality time is a love language for her).

This writing things down to learn them....maybe we should start notebooking!

Edited by Jennifer Bogart
Typo

There are so many senses that are used with writing. YOu read it (see), you write it (hands on), you even hear it if you read aloud as you copy (which I do). The more senses you use the better the info sticks. And just the fact that you have to concentrate harder and slow down to write as appose to just reading works in her favor too. I am a huge fan of copywork and notebooking. :)

I'm the same way as well, and definitely visual. For me, it was all about seeing it.

Yep, for me it's some combination of seeing the information and writing it. In other words, I don't necessarily remember everything I read, but if I can picture myself writing it down, I'm more likely to remember it. I worked in bookstores for years, on and off, and I often picture the cover of a book and "read" it in my head in order to remember an author's name.

Weirdly, though, I also LOVE audiobooks and remember what I hear better than what I read. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I visualize what I'm hearing?

I'm still trying to nail it down.

Yep, for me it's some combination of seeing the information and writing it. In other words, I don't necessarily remember everything I read, but if I can picture myself writing it down, I'm more likely to remember it. I worked in bookstores for years, on and off, and I often picture the cover of a book and "read" it in my head in order to remember an author's name.

Weirdly, though, I also LOVE audiobooks and remember what I hear better than what I read. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I visualize what I'm hearing?

I am completely incapable of listening to audiobooks. My mind just wanders off no matter how hard I try to listen and picture the story.

OP, I am like your dd and I am a strong visual learner. I took notes in college, not because I actually referred back to them for studying, but because if I could just write it down, when I needed the information for the exam I could picture it written on the page.

I am completely incapable of listening to audiobooks. My mind just wanders off no matter how hard I try to listen and picture the story.

This is me, too. Absolutely helpless just by listening. Even when dd asks me for help, she has to come over to me so I can see what she needs help with--even the simplest of math problems. My dh and dd drive me crazy with how auditory they are--I don't get it! :blink:

This is me, too, but I've never thought of myself as a visual learner. visual symbols like maps and writing I retain, but faces and pictures I don't, nor do I remember as well if I just read, or even type. I have to write, by hand.

I suppose for some it could be a kinesthetic thing - the activity of writing it is what makes it stick.

Yep, it is for me. I assume if it was the visual element, I would love mind maps and pictorial diagrams and with few exceptions, I hate them.

Rosie

...that she writes things down in order to learn them, what does it mean about her learning style?

I often find her writing down notes, or making diagrams, or elaborating on the spelling rules I've given her on the whiteboard when we have it out. Today she told me, "Mom, I write things down to learn them."

She also likes to write her words on the board straight off instead of using the tiles.

Wow! I get the feeling I should do something with that knowledge! Does this mean she is a visual learner? Or...?

S

It could mean she is a visual learner. I am primarily a visual learner, and weakest in auditory learning, and I often write things down to remember them, just to have the visual record of them.

It could also mean she is somewhat of a kinesthetic learner. Is it the action/motion of writing that helps her remember, or the visual process of seeing the words in print? Or, perhaps, it is the act of focusing in order to write it down that helps.

When you picture the cover of the book and read it in your head, do you read it "aloud" in your head, or do you visualize the name written on the cover? If you are reading it aloud to yourself, it is more auditory recall than visual. Also, as you write it, you may silently think the word to yourself, thus making it auditory rather than visual/kinesthetic.