Menu

What do you do when you feel afraid you can't teach your child?

I have been feeling this way for several months now. I can't decide if it is because I'm compairing her to her older sister (who seems to learn effortlessly, while younger seems to fight hard for everything she learns), not using the right materials for her learning style (that I don't know, and can't seem to figure out), a personality clash (we are both so similar), or something else.

Do you ever fear you can't teach your child? If so, what do you do about it?

Do you ever fear you can't teach your child? If so, what do you do about it?

I feel this all the time :tongue_smilie:...What helps me is to listen to "The Joy of Classical Homeschooling" talk that SWB did...I feel so much better after that!...I also look over some parts of WTM, whatever I don't feel confident in at the moment...I feel better with a plan, so I write one out when I feel less than...And then I just keep homeschooling :001_smile:

* I intentionally left out all the parts about crying on DH's shoulder, sending him sad sounding text messages and eating lots of cookies!

I remind myself that I taught them their first words. I teach them about everyday life. I remind myself that it is my God-given duty to teach my child, that if I delegate that duty, I am still 100% responsible for the outcome. You know your child best. You love your child the most. If it is just a simple fear standing in your way, then kick that fear goodbye. I'm not saying every child ought to be homeschooled or that every parent must do it, but I believe if you want to, you can. I'd recommend you read as many hs books as possible; arm yourself with knowledge. :grouphug:

1. Eat chocolate

2. Pray. That should be #1, but I thought I would be honest. ;)

3. Listen to an SWB audio lecture - very inspiring,

4. Look online at what is being taught in local public schools.

5. Listen to other moms talk about what is being taught in public schools

6. Listen to homeschool moms who have children that have graduated and actually gotten into college.

7. Remember the time my then-5 year old was pretending to be an Egyptian, and was asked if she was Cleopatra. She was horrified, "Cleopatra wasn't Egyptian - she was Greek!"

8. Remember my public highschool civics class - I remember nothing from it except our ancient teacher told us eating catfish was a sin.

9. Then I think it will be OK. :grouphug:

You're talking about your 5 y/o? Maybe you should just back off a bit with the curriculum stuff if it's not going well at the moment. Maybe she's just not ready. She's young. Where I live, compulsory school age doesn't even start until age 8, and if you've never read "Better Late Than Early" by the Moores, maybe you should- if only for a bit of perspective, even if you don't fully agree or wait as long as they suggest.

A child that age learns SO much, all the time, informally, and just may not be ready for a "curriculum" and "workbooks" and "worksheets" and "deskwork" and so on yet. And that's okay.

It's fine to just stop and keep it informal, creative, hands on, play-based, conversational, and so on and wait a while longer to reintroduce the other stuff.

I had to do that with my son. I wrote about it here if you want to take a peek:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/190076.html

(I call it "A Kindergarten Dropout" lol).

(He's now 5.5 years old- I will be giving another try to K in September when he's 5.10 months old and we'll see what happens). :)

Lots of chocolate, something with alcohol in it, and prayer. I have one like that, too. His therapist told me to send him to school, so he wouldn't hate all women, just me. :glare: That's not an option. So I eat copious amounts of chocolate, have a drink, and pray. A lot. Oh, and I go on my message boards and get encouraged. While I'm eating chocolate and having my drink.

What do I do when I have that fear? I remind myself that it would be impossible to avoid teaching my child, even if I were to send him to public school. I will always be teaching him something.

Sometimes we just need to take a break for a day or five and eat popcorn and watch movies and come back to homeschooling refreshed. Other days I just need to lock myself in the bathroom and cry for a good 10 minutes. Still others I need to come on here and stare at the screen for an hour while the kids run around outside with friends.

You can absolutely teach your kids everything they need to know. Some days it's just harder than others.

:grouphug:

Learning doesn't come from being taught/lectured too/etc... It comes from having the freedom to explore, problem solve, and from working alone as well as with others. Unfortunately, little of this comes from the standard, sit at a desk for 6+ hrs and do busy work. The hardest part is trusting your child and their inner drive to learn. We all have it. The trick is learning what turns that light bulb on, what makes them go AHHHHHHHHHH....

Set aside the work that causes the most frustration and just read good books by day...search the forums here for practical advice by night.

5yo's vary greatly - GREATLY - in ability to do formal schoolwork. I would start with looking at what is absolutely necessary (I would argue none of it, yet, for my dc.).

My two youngest are 14mo apart. dd6 is advanced, and ds4 is ahead of the game but not as advanced as she was this time last year. It would be easy for me to compare the two and worry over ds4 (though he is F.I.N.E. where he's at). dd6 is 26mo younger than ds8. They are about the same level in LA. Comparing these two can end up equally bad.

My .02 is to ignore those comparisons (each child is different!) and avoid stressing over state standards (which have gotten ps graduates where???). Look at your 5yo and evaluate what is needed. Tweeze apart reading, writing and math...many 5yo's vary greatly in skill within these 3 areas. Scale back to 5min per day on each skill...and do reading on the couch, math on the floor, writing at the table.

I feel this all the time :tongue_smilie:...What helps me is to listen to "The Joy of Classical Homeschooling" talk that SWB did...I feel so much better after that!...I also look over some parts of WTM, whatever I don't feel confident in at the moment...I feel better with a plan, so I write one out when I feel less than...And then I just keep homeschooling :001_smile:

Oh yes, I do that, too. I love her lectures!

* I intentionally left out all the parts about crying on DH's shoulder, sending him sad sounding text messages and eating lots of cookies!

:lol: Do that, too! LOL