Menu

Brick kitchen floors?

Anyone here had any experience?

We are on the verge of ordering a tan/pinkish/black version of the Old Chicago Style brick flooring. It isn't exactly cheap - but not bad at all for what we will get.

My biggest concern is the cleaning.... Even with a really good sealer - seems like it may be tough to clean.

The grout lines will be about 1/4 inch, and the whole thing is sealed with some sort of terra cotta sealer (it's a satin finish - but pretty thick).

Here's a link (couldn't get the picture to work):

http://www.historicalbricks.com/floors-patios.html

First picture down on the left, the one with the kitchen island and the light green walls....

How much area are you doing? cost?

I love it. I would imagine that the cleaning and sealing would be very similar to any stone. In that case, you will need to reseal at some point. Are you going with a smooth finish/seal or a textured?

It is lovely. I want one too!

Waiting (on tenterhooks) for a quote. I've heard anywhere from $4-$7 a sq foot. We will need about 130 sq feet for the kitchen and pantry (thankfully the island is taking up a bunch of floor space :) ).

The sealer isn't slick (according to the floor people), about the same as the finish on regular ceramin tile, and there is a lot of texture on the brick itself that isn't smoothed over by the sealer. In fact - one of the sample pieces I have has "CH BR CO" and a diamond shape printed into it - which I think could look pretty cool....

I would think it would be similar to caring for tile. We have a very rustic tile floor in our sunroom/craft room, and it cleans up pretty easily.

Are there large gaps and grooves? Do you vacuum it and then mop?

The grout lines will be about 1/4 inch, and the whole thing is sealed with some sort of terra cotta sealer (it's a satin finish - but pretty thick).

Here's a link (couldn't get the picture to work):

http://www.historicalbricks.com/floors-patios.html

First picture down on the left, the one with the kitchen island and the light green walls....

I love it! That is really beautiful and different. Is it using recycled/reclaimed bricks?

Yep - they are taken from buildings that are being knocked down, and then sliced into 1/2 inch tiles. They have a lot of rust marks, chips, etc. I think it will look pretty neat (and I hear they are rather indestructible - although not friendly to plates and glasses :) ). Still..... the cleaning.....

But, ya know - there is so much variation and spotting on each brick, and they are basically dirt colored.... maybe it won't show.

Are there large gaps and grooves? Do you vacuum it and then mop?

Yes, the grout lines are close to 1/2 in., and the stone is 'tumbled'. I think it was once an outdoor patio. I just sweep and mop. (I don't vacuum it because I'm too lazy to drag the vacuum downstairs :lol:)

The photos you posted look gorgeous!

That does sound similar....

I have a little Swiffer vacuum that works well if you use it all the time and only in small spaces - I think I may keep it in the pantry (it's really small). I could see myself getting really angry at the broom :)

I guess it will depend on how much of the grout gets stuck in the deeper chips/grooves.... I think you leave it in the big gaps (so no one stubs a toe).

I don't know about care and maintenance, but I would think about resell value, if its even a possibility you might want to sell.

'Unusual' doesn't seem to do well on the market. My mom was a real estate agent, and I know that they had to drop the asking price on one property repeatedly. Why? The marble counter top in the kitchen was pink. They constantly heard ppl were interested, but hated the pink. She had loads of 'different' that ended up costing the vendor.

I know for us, who are hoping and praying to buy this year, there are things that are immediately 'rip out' things. A brick floor would be one of them. And, anything that would need ripping out needs replacing, which then lowers the offer in response.

Yes - I've been concerned about that as well. We know eventually we will sell (may not be for 5-7 years). Where we live, brick floors are more common than I had imagined, and seem to be a positive selling point according to the contractor I spoke to (he had no idea about cleaning).

That said, I don't know anyone personally who has them - so yes - they are realtively "unusual"....

So far, everything else is pretty neutral (beige, tan, and more beige :) ). My DH is far more willing to risk lack of resale value than I am though (brick was initially his idea).

I am really interested to hear how this turns out. I have told DH for years that when we replace the flooring in our kitchen/formal dining that I want brick. We have been guests in a few homes locally that have it throughout the lower floor common areas, and it is stunning. I have never had the nerve to ask the hostess about the care and cleaning though.:blushing:

I am really interested to hear how this turns out. I have told DH for years that when we replace the flooring in our kitchen/formal dining that I want brick. We have been guests in a few homes locally that have it throughout the lower floor common areas, and it is stunning. I have never had the nerve to ask the hostess about the care and cleaning though.:blushing:

Well, now you have to ask for me :)

Tell them it's for a nosy poster on the boards....

The whole kitchen should be done by mid May, so I'll post pictures

My mom has a brick floor in her kitchen. It looks really nice, and has held up well (she's had it for at least 5 or 6 years now). I'm not the regular cleaner of it, but I've mopped up some accidents when dog sitting, and it seems pretty easy to deal with. It scared the heck out of me when my kids were babies, though! Don't put it in if you might have another baby :)

Yep - they are taken from buildings that are being knocked down, and then sliced into 1/2 inch tiles. They have a lot of rust marks, chips, etc. I think it will look pretty neat (and I hear they are rather indestructible - although not friendly to plates and glasses :) ). Still..... the cleaning.....

But, ya know - there is so much variation and spotting on each brick, and they are basically dirt colored.... maybe it won't show.

That is really cool. I don't know that it would mess up resale value if the rest of the house isn't off the wall. Yes, it will appeal to certain buyers more - think about how popular the 'loft look' is with exposed brickwork. That's a huge selling point. I think it would be great.

Yes - I've been concerned about that as well. We know eventually we will sell (may not be for 5-7 years). Where we live, brick floors are more common than I had imagined, and seem to be a positive selling point according to the contractor I spoke to (he had no idea about cleaning).

I'd ask a realtor about the floors as a selling point. A contractor would probably have some bias. A realtor could tell you what people shopping for houses in your price range expect, and if the floors would still be a selling point in 5 years.

I think it looks cool, but I always worry about resale value when we make changes.

It scared the heck out of me when my kids were babies, though! Don't put it in if you might have another baby :)

LOL - no, no more babies. We have two teen boys, a black lab, and a great dane....

Indestructible is good....

I'd ask a realtor about the floors as a selling point. A contractor would probably have some bias. A realtor could tell you what people shopping for houses in your price range expect, and if the floors would still be a selling point in 5 years.

I think it looks cool, but I always worry about resale value when we make changes.

Good idea - the contractor is a friend of ours, though, and we do all our own work - so he knows he's not getting any money out of us :)

• 1 year later...