Menu

S/O off "Ham Strikes Again..." ~ WHO OWNS HOMESCHOOLING?

All of this is a consequence (and an expected one at that) of fundamentalist theology combined with patriarchy. Add counter-cultural choices into the mix and we have a heady concoction that has been brewing for trouble for years.

Extreme movements (which homeschooling can be considered), with extreme dynamics (with represents a percentage of homeschoolers) have a predictable dynamic. As the movement gets more mainstream, a subgroup within the subgroup begins to feel threatened, fears disenfranchisment and tries to rally the troops back into a cohesive model of their making.

If profit is involved, it is typically more toxic.

It happened to Sonlight. It happened to Cheryl Seelhoff. It's happening to PHP/SWB. This is "ours" at the moment, but it won't be the last.

For people (men) who feel they have an exclusive understanding of the universe (theological fundamentalists), they can't allow people to "be where they are". They have a primal need to conrol and exert power.

Who owns homeschooling is the wrong question (no disrespect meant to the OP ;)). The questions are larger, and they harken back to old issues of power, control, profit and status.

In a word, yes.Yes indeed.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this is a consequence (and an expected one at that) of fundamentalist theology combined with patriarchy. Add counter-cultural choices into the mix and we have a heady concoction that has been brewing for trouble for years.

Extreme movements (which homeschooling can be considered), with extreme dynamics (with represents a percentage of homeschoolers) have a predictable dynamic. As the movement gets more mainstream, a subgroup within the subgroup begins to feel threatened, fears disenfranchisment and tries to rally the troops back into a cohesive model of their making.

It happened to Sonlight. It happened to Cheryl Seelhoff. It's happening to PHP/SWB. This is "ours" at the moment, but it won't be the last.

For people (men) who feel they have an exclusive understanding of the universe (theological fundamentalists), they can't allow people to "be where they are". They have a primal need to conrol and exert power.

Who owns homeschooling is the wrong question (no disrespect meant to the OP ;)). The questions are larger, and they harken back to old issues of power, control, profit and status.

Well put, Joanne.

Well said

And on the flipside, there are many women who lack confidence in their ability to educate their children and feel a need to pledge allegiance to someone. To them, a curriculum author is much more than a curriculum author. They will latch onto someone who promises the results they are looking for and follow them blindly through life. They are, in a sense, willing victims, and certain people can spot them a mile away to use for their own purposes.

How do we empower ourselves and encourage others to be confident in our abilities? I need to be able to look at my books as tools, a means to an end and not the end in itself. I need to come back to the foundation of my faith and know that it rests in God and not in one's opinion. I need to regard others as my equals--maybe my mentor, maybe my peer, maybe my student, but still my equal. And hope that my example can encourage others to do the same.

And on the flipside, there are many women who lack confidence in their ability to educate their children and feel a need to pledge allegiance to someone. To them, a curriculum author is much more than a curriculum author. They will latch onto someone who promises the results they are looking for and follow them blindly through life. They are, in a sense, willing victims, and certain people can spot them a mile away to use for their own purposes.

How do we empower ourselves and encourage others to be confident in our abilities? I need to be able to look at my books as tools, a means to an end and not the end in itself. I need to come back to the foundation of my faith and know that it rests in God and not in one's opinion. I need to regard others as my equals--maybe my mentor, maybe my peer, maybe my student, but still my equal. And hope that my example can encourage others to do the same.

That's not the flipside. It's a natural extension of years immersed in patriarchy.

That's not the flipside. It's a natural extension of years immersed in patriarchy.

:iagree:

And I suppose some homeschoolers make a conscious, deliberate decision to educate their children through homeschooling, and some...do not put the same kind of thought into the decision. Just doing what they are told.

My opinion? How old the earth is is completely irrelevant to me.

I don't think people are decended from apes. Tho occasionally I do think there is a valid argument for donkey lineage in some people.:tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol: Oh. My. Stars. The kids just came in here to see what was so funny!

Well said!

I don't think so. I see blind faith in homeschool leaders of all persuasions, even when they aren't asking for it. We need to be careful, recognizing the humanity of all persons including leaders, and not elevate anyone on a pedestal.

:iagree:

And I suppose some homeschoolers make a conscious, deliberate decision to educate their children through homeschooling, and some...do not put the same kind of thought into the decision. Just doing what they are told.

Yes. I think that homeschooling can be overwhelming initially, especially if you aren't starting at the beginning. In any case, I think a lack of confidence is at the root of this. Some people will grab onto any help they can get.