Menu

Tell me about Chicago

I'm thinking of taking my girls to Chicago for vacation this summer. I've been several times for business but haven't been for pleasure since 8th grade! I'd like to get some advice from those who are very familiar with the area.

We'll be driving, so we'll have a car, but I'd like to keep my focus in Chicago proper and not the 'burbs. I'll be using Priceline for a hotel so we can be right in the heart of it all, unless anyone has another suggestion. We'll probably be there for 4 days (maybe 3, maybe 5...depends on what i come up with to do!).

On my list of potential things to do so far:

1. Navy Pier

2. Sears (which isn't Sears anymore) Tower observation deck

3. Museum of Science and Industry (my all-time favorite museum)

4. Some sort of boat tour in Lake Michigan

5. Eat at Ed Debevics

What else? What about public transportation? What are your "must-see/must-do" things? Any pitfalls (besides cash) that I need to be aware of?

Any information or advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Depending when you come, there could be free concerts in Grant or Millenium Park. And how about the Art Institute? I think you can get a City Pass of some sort that covers a variety of sightseeing fun. I can't remember if it includes transit, but if not, you can also get multi-day transit passes. Although honestly, if you'll only be out of walking distance for one or two trips, it might be just as cost effective to take a taxi.

I LOVE Chicago!

Get a City Pass and you'll save a ton on admission fees. Also, most of the hotels will run special packages, so check those out against priceline. When we went in February, we stayed at the Chicago South Loop Hotel, which was nice, and sits between the museum campus and the Museum of Science and Industry. It also has free parking, which many of the downtown hotels don't. It's also on the outskirts of China Town, which could be fun.

Outside of what you already mentioned, there is:

Shedd Aquarium

Field Museum

Adler Planetarium

Art Institute

Hancock Building

Water Tower Place (large mall downtown with some very cool stores. The American Girl Store is there; there's an underground parking garage, too)

http://www.citypass.com/chicago

There are some fun fountains you can play in at Millennium Park and (just outside) the Navy Pier, so towels/extra clothes/bathing suits under clothes are good :). (I did not know this, and had to borrow extra clothes from sil for dd4 :tongue_smilie: - b/c who *doesn't* want to play in a fountain ;)).

There are some fun fountains you can play in at Millennium Park and (just outside) the Navy Pier, so towels/extra clothes/bathing suits under clothes are good :). (I did not know this, and had to borrow extra clothes from sil for dd4 :tongue_smilie: - b/c who *doesn't* want to play in a fountain ;)).

I agree! We love to do that at Centennial Olympic Park here in Atlanta.

Now I'm trying to figure out where to stay....

We always stay in downtown but always take taxi's. We love to go to The Field Museum, the aquarium, and the planetarium. We also always try to go to the Art Institute at least once. They are generally open and free on one evening (used to be Thursdays)....

We also like Peggy Notebart Nature Sanctuary, but it was rather run down last time we were there....

don't forget Garrett Popcorn. :lurk5:

Oh yeah!!! Get the cheese/caramel combo!!!

While at Navy Pier you could do the children's museum there (not sure on age of kids, sorry I didn't look!) Make sure you get some Chicago style pizza while here too. Second to none!! There's also the Lincoln Park Zoo (free). A little north of the city in Skokie is the Holocaust Museum, which I hear is pretty amazing (if your kids are old enough for that.) If you can, check out a baseball game. Goooo Cubbies!!! :lol: There are trollies that take you around town, but the waits to get on them are insane. Figure out public transportation and you're golden. Parking fees will require you to take out a second mortgage. Also, there's a HUGE American Girl doll store in Chicago. Not sure if that's of interest.

P.S. - The view from the John Hancock building is better than the building fka Sears Tower.

See a show!!!

Ride the El.

Walk through Grant Park, see the bean at Millennium Park, and walk Michigan Avenue.

Chinatown is fun.

My family has tried Navy Pier four times. We haven't ever found what the attraction is to that place- we must be weird.

Shedd Aquarium

Field Museum

Adler Planetarium

:iagree: We love these. Water Tower Mall. Eli's Cheesecake Factory (if you like cheesecake, that is. Well, I don't like cheesecake but love their's so there ya go! lol!)

If you just walk down Michigan Ave or State Street there are tons of awesome stores if you want to shop.

Lincoln Park Zoo is just a little bit north of downtown. It is free to get in but parking is about $12 (at least last time I was there) if you park inside the zoo. You can also park on the street and just walk into the zoo, and then you just have a parking meter to pay.

Edited by Homemama2

We love the Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium! I would leave the car at the hotel or a parking garage and either take public transportation or taxis. You will spend too much time trying to drive and park and then having to walk a while anyway if you try to drive around the city. Lincoln Park Zoo is small and easy to do in one day, plus it is close to the Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium.

Sometimes it is worth it to buy some sort of membership or pass even if you aren't ever going to use it again. I know at the Shedd sometimes the line to get in can be 45 minutes, but members can just walk in through the membership door. It is sometimes worth the extra money to be able to skip the line and not waste your vacation time, kwim?

I haven't used this, but I have seen them advertised at attractions:

http://www.citypass.com/chicago

Oh yeah!!! Get the cheese/caramel combo!!! That sounds delicious!

While at Navy Pier you could do the children's museum there (not sure on age of kids, sorry I didn't look!) A little old. Once I looked more closely at what Navy Pier has to offer I think that may come off the list. Make sure you get some Chicago style pizza while here too. Second to none!! Too funny! I'm from St. Louis and the two styles of pizza couldn't be any more different! I'm into the super thing, cracker-style crust. Still...when in Rome, right? There's also the Lincoln Park Zoo (free). This may be a keeper. Again....we always do the zoo in in STL, and we've never been to this one. A little north of the city in Skokie is the Holocaust Museum, which I hear is pretty amazing (if your kids are old enough for that.)I wish! The 8 year old may be traumatized, I fear... If you can, check out a baseball game. Goooo Cubbies!!! :lol: Go Cardinals!!! :D There are trollies that take you around town, but the waits to get on them are insane. Figure out public transportation and you're golden.I absolutely plan to do this! Thanks for the recommendation. Parking fees will require you to take out a second mortgage. Also, there's a HUGE American Girl doll store in Chicago. Not sure if that's of interest.

P.S. - The view from the John Hancock building is better than the building fka Sears Tower.

Great information! Thanks so much!

Ok....for my next question....I looked at Priceline and i'm trying to figure out how to bid based on where we want to stay. We'd like to be as close to the heart of things as possible. The neighborhoods that I have to choose from are Lincoln Park, Millenium Park/Loop & Grant Park, and North Michigan Ave/North Loop. What's best?

ETA...ok, sorry for the strange quoting. Not sure how i left the html in there, and why only half my stuff turned pink. Fat fingers this morning!

Ok....for my next question....I looked at Priceline and i'm trying to figure out how to bid based on where we want to stay. We'd like to be as close to the heart of things as possible. The neighborhoods that I have to choose from are Lincoln Park, Millenium Park/Loop & Grant Park, and North Michigan Ave/North Loop. What's best?

Any one of those areas could work if you're close to the trains or buses, but I'd probably choose the area around Michigan Avenue. The Embassy Suites on State Street might be a good choice. Pizzeria Via Stato, a Lettuce Entertain You restaurant, is located on the first floor -- best thin crust (cracker style) pizza I've ever had as well as excellent salads and fonduta. Eat in or take out. Just across the street are a group of quirky businesses: P.O.S.H., Grahamwich, Alessi, and Pops for Champagne. Material Possessions is nearby. It's fun just to window shop in that area.

A few blocks south of that area is Xoco, a mostly-sandwich shop run by Rick Bayless and family. The churros with cinnamon ice cream are excellent. At lunch the place is packed, so if you go there, arrive early or late.

North on Delaware is More Cupcakes which sells filled cupcakes.

In the Hancock's basement, L'Appetito sells reasonably-priced sandwiches. The Cheesecake Factory is also down there. The Hancock's bar/lounge area in the evening is a good place to have a (pricey) drink, but it's comfy and the views are spectacular. (Check out the bathrooms.) Kids are welcome.

eat.shop Chicago is a useful book that lists unusual places to eat and shop.

Besides the other recommendations for things to do:

Grant Park/Millenium Park concerts:

http://www.chicagofestivals.net/the-grant-park-music-festival

Museum of Contemporary Art (near Water Tower Place) has free jazz concerts Tuesday evenings in summer. Bring your own food and eat on the back lawn:

http://www.mcachicago.org/programs/event_detail.php?id=22=terrace

Chicago Shakespeare Theater at Navy Pier will be performing The Adventures of Pinocchio in August. They could add something else later on as well.

There might also be some musicals or plays worth seeing. You can buy discounted tickets for some performances in the Water Works Visitor Center right across from the Water Tower Place (mall).

http://www.hottix.org/

If I can remember other events, I'll try to list them.

ETA: The Air and Water Show is held in August. Chicago is insanely busy then.

Edited by MBM
added more info

Any one of those areas could work if you're close to the trains or buses, but I'd probably choose the area around Michigan Avenue. The Embassy Suites on State Street might be a good choice. Pizzeria Via Stato, a Lettuce Entertain You restaurant, is located on the first floor -- best thin crust (cracker style) pizza I've ever had as well as excellent salads and fonduta. Eat in or take out. Just across the street are a group of quirky businesses: P.O.S.H., Grahamwich, Alessi, and Pops for Champagne. Material Possessions is nearby. It's fun just to window shop in that area.

A few blocks south of that area is Xoco, a mostly-sandwich shop run by Rick Bayless and family. The churros with cinnamon ice cream are excellent. At lunch the place is packed, so if you go there, arrive early or late.

North on Delaware is More Cupcakes which sells filled cupcakes.

In the Hancock's basement, L'Appetito sells reasonably-priced sandwiches. The Cheesecake Factory is also down there. The Hancock's bar/lounge area in the evening is a good place to have a (pricey) drink, but it's comfy and the views are spectacular. (Check out the bathrooms.) Kids are welcome.

eat.shop Chicago is a useful book that lists unusual places to eat and shop.

Besides the other recommendations for things to do:

Grant Park/Millenium Park concerts:

http://www.chicagofestivals.net/the-grant-park-music-festival

Museum of Contemporary Art (near Water Tower Place) has free jazz concerts Tuesday evenings in summer. Bring your own food and eat on the back lawn:

http://www.mcachicago.org/programs/event_detail.php?id=22=terrace

Chicago Shakespeare Theater at Navy Pier will be performing The Adventures of Pinocchio in August. They could add something else later on as well.

There might also be some musicals or plays worth seeing. You can buy discounted tickets for some performances in the Water Works Visitor Center right across from the Water Tower Place (mall).

http://www.hottix.org/

If I can remember other events, I'll try to list them.

ETA: The Air and Water Show is held in August. Chicago is insanely busy then.

Wow! Thanks!

Hahaha! I'm copying down information and I grew up on the southside! But I'm used to just driving right to whatever we want to see or taking the red line el in for everything, so I love seeing everyone's ideas!

You could do a day where you parked in the Lincoln park zoo lot, and then hit the zoo, the Notebaert Nature museum, go to the Green City Market for lunch (outdoor everyday honking huge farmer's market basically) and then go the the Chicago History Museum. We'll probably do something like that too this summer but breeze through the zoo part. You'd have to get to the lot fairly early though, or just take public transportation for the whole thing. All those are basically in one part of the city.

I can't add to the ideas, but I fell in love with Chicago! As for the Navy pier, I think the magic happens on the day the recruits graduate each week. It is wonderful to see the fine young men and women sailors in their dress whites enjoying their first free day in weeks, with their families who are so proud of them that the whole day is a loving reunion. You can't help but smile.

I was also surprised to find that everyone we met in Chicago was polite. I have been to many a City, and there is something unique about Chicago.