Menu

Everyday Math and Math Mammoth

My nephew is finishing Grade 6 of Everyday Math. My sister makes the kids read and do math over the summer. I suggested MM but, I'm not sure what level would be the best fit. I'm hoping that someone who has experience with Everyday Math would have some advice.

If he's finishing grade 6, I'd start by having him take the placement test for grade 5. If he has specific weaknesses, it'll show. Then he could use the topical books for that before starting the grade 6 MM. If you aren't sure about placement after taking the placement test, email the details of the results to the author and she will help you figure out which topical books to start with or if you should just start at a certain level. My DD was less than half way through MM3 at home in 4th grade and when we put her in public school mid-year this past January, they had to assess her math skills to place her in the right grade...she placed right into 4th grade math (they use TERC which is similar to Everyday math).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is our experience -- ds is now at the end of Everyday Math Grade 5. We have the complete download of all the blue topic-based worktexts and most of them are a bit too basic for his level. Nothing against MM -- just not a good fit (at least not that series). But my ds is good in math; YMMV.

I feel MM blue series is too much of a repition...you should try to evaluate the weak areas..eg fractions/money etc.. and concentrate on them with additional resources like Key to series, or just the MM yellow books..

MM Blue series is an overkilll for afterschooling kids IMO!