Menu

Quick relief from tight back muscles?

Lay sideways across the bed and hang your head and neck gently over the edge. Do this for a few minutes each on both stomach and back.

Likewise, if you have a big exercise ball, drape yourself over it for a while each way.

Stand on the edge of a step with your heels hanging off (stand on just the toes and balls of your feet). Relax your shoulders and let your heels drop. This will stretch your calves but also helps with alignment all the way up.

Magnesium is a muscle relaxer, I can't tell you what the proper dose for you would be, but you may find a supplement helpful.

And ditto to what others have said about warm tub soaks.

Hope you feel better soon!

I'd also suggest gentle stretching after soaking in the tub. Otherwise I find my back seizes right back up again. If you tell us which part of your back is hurting, people may be able to suggest stretches for those specific areas.

I'd also suggest gentle stretching after soaking in the tub. Otherwise I find my back seizes right back up again. If you tell us which part of your back is hurting, people may be able to suggest stretches for those specific areas.

It seems to be smack in the middle of the back. Seems a little worse on the right side of the spine. Feels like a "belt" of tight muscles right across.

If you have any magnesium supplements in the house- take a dose every 30 minutes a few times (as well as other treatments). Otherwise, the epsom salts bath is another good way of getting magnesium to the muscles- it helps muscles to release and relax.