Menu

Need advice on Birds and Bees books for my kids

Guest SherylinNJ

Guest SherylinNJ

Hello All!

Wow, I haven't been on these boards in a while, they are new since I was last here!

Anyways, I got asked the question on how "specifically" do babies get made. They know the "biological" type answers, but now they want to know "how" that happens. I am not prepared for this question, but should be...

My kids are ds (11), dd (9) and ds (7). Do you all have any book recommendations for my body and me type books? I also need a book that will specifically answer the s*x questions. I have found American Girl books that seem to be pretty good for my daughter, but am at a loss for boy books.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have the following:

God's design for sex series

Book1: Story of Me (ages 3-5)

Book 2: Before I was born (ages 5-8)

There are others and they increase the detail as the kids get older. It is put out by Navpress. Here is a link to it:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=God%27s+design+for+sex

The other one I have is:

It's not the stork. This has cartoon figures of kids and describes their anatomy. It also talks about other things too. For example, how families are different. So, you probably would have to do some dialoguing if you didn't agree with what is said. However, my kids really like it. Here's a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Not-Stork-Families-Friends/dp/0763600474/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210184038&sr=8-1

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for but perhaps it will give you a start:)

Rebecca

My first thought was "Sure, we have lots of great bird books, and a couple about bees too!"

Oh. Duh. ;)

Can you go to the library to preview books? That's what I did. I'll bet the children's librarians are accustomed to pointing parents toward books that might be helpful, and that would give you an idea of what might work best for your family. You can check out an age-appropriate book for free, and you can return it so that it's not sitting around waiting for a younger not-quite-ready person to find it.

Cat

In our family, we just tell them. No special books (beyond biology ones that is... beyond the biology and anatomy angle, we just discuss). Dad takes this responsibility as all of our kids are boys but we talk about these things as a family (ie. I don't try to leave the room or stay out of the conversation or something) when they come up so that we can innoculate them against the idea that these things are shameful. We do talk about how they are private and special things but that they are okay to discuss freely within our family.

You don't need a book...you know the answers to these questions and being the parent can tailor your explanations to each of your children in an age appropriate way. I know it is uncomfortable and you probably can't believe you are at this point with your babies, but I feel like you have all you need to supply them with what they need to know! No book necessary. :)

We have used the God's design for s*x series. We just got book 3 for my ds10. Dh and I are reading it first, then he will discuss it with ds. The books are handy for us, because neither dh or I were brought up learning these things from a Christian perspective.

Anyways, I got asked the question on how "specifically" do babies get made. They know the "biological" type answers, but now they want to know "how" that happens. I am not prepared for this question, but should be...

My kids are ds (11), dd (9) and ds (7).

"God (or nature) has made husbands and wives so that they use their bodies to show love and make babies. What happens is that when they want to be alone for private love time, the man's p*nis gets hard (insert "like yours does sometimes for boys). That goes into the wife's v*gina. The husband's body makes something called sperm that comes out of his penis during lovemaking. The sperm goes into the wife's body and meets an egg her body makes. That sperm and egg meet, making a baby that starts tiny and grows until it's ready to come out of the mom's v*gina."

"It may surprise you, or you may have heard things about this before now. Sometimes kids tell other kids things that are odd, not true or you might have made up other stuff in your mind. Now is the time to ask any questions about it that you may have."

"It's called 'making love' or 'sex" and God/nature made grown married people to want to show love that way. It's how babies are made, but a baby is not made every time a husband and wife make love. They also make love as a part of a great marriage."