Menu

If you were a Christian, and then stopped being a Christian how old were you?

How old were you when you stopped being a Christian?  

1. 1. How old were you when you stopped being a Christian?

• Under 10 years old
    • 10 - 15 years old
    • 16 - 20 years old
    • 21 - 25 years old
    • 26 - 30 years old
    • 31 - 35 years old
    • 36 - 40 years old
    • over 40 years old

Please, please write me privately because I am so :confused: . It seems you are very upset with me. I agree with almost everything you said here, but it really seems that you think that I do not and have to prove it to me. Once again I think I must be a really bad communicator.

nope, not upset at you... I dont even know you.... sorry to give that impression. just trying to address some of the comments that you and others have made here in this thread. not sure the point of a PM though- dont take that personally, just dont see the need to take it to that level. :001_smile:

Edited by sassyscrapperinid
wow- after I said the part about not being upset and not even knowing loved, I see thats what someone else too!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if I consider myself a Christian, but I left the standardized church? I would prefer people read their Bible and not repreach (repeat exactly what someone on a pulpit told them to believe). Oh, and I absolutely detest guerilla Christianity. *sigh

I do, however, belive wholeheartedly in God the father and his son Jesus. I do believe in the Bible.

If this counts, then I will vote. :)

If I bring up my religion on a thread like this it is because people (both Christians and Non-christians) say terrible untrue things about God and the Bible on the threads and I am attempting to correct misunderstandings.

How would I not get it? I am a JW. I don't fit in anywhere. Just for an example: Creation. YEC beliefs are different from mine, OEC beliefs are different from mine, Evolutionists beliefs are different from mine. God and Jesus: LDS beliefs are different from mine, atheists beliefs are different from mine, Baptist beliefs are different from mine, Orthodox beliefs are different from mine. I thought about using myself as an example. If I hid the fact that I am a JW I would feel very safe here... I thought that using you as an example would go over better than using myself. Big screw-up there.

As another poster said, it isn't your place to "correct" my "misunderstandings" at all. I don't believe I am incorrect, nor have I misunderstood anything in the Bible. I've read it many, many times cover-to-cover. I believe differently than you about it. It is not your place to keep trying to "correct" anyone who says they believe differently than you.

I don't hate you, Carmen. I am just very tired of reading the same posts over and over again. I am tired of being "corrected" when I honestly state what I believe. I am sure that you have felt much the same way in your life with other people trying to "correct" you about your beliefs.

After a time, it becomes somewhat painful -- like a raw spot -- to read the same proselytizing over and over again. It is my nature to be open and somewhat blunt, Carmen. Perhaps I hit your raw spot with my previous post. I don't, in any way, wish to do that to you. I'm just tired of it all, dear. You poked, and in my weariness, I poked back. I shouldn't have done that.

I wish you peace.

Edited by Audrey

If I bring up my religion on a thread like this it is because people (both Christians and Non-christians) say terrible untrue things about God and the Bible on the threads and I am attempting to correct misunderstandings.
They aren't "terrible, untrue" things in any objective sense. They are only terrible and untrue in your worldview.

That is no different from saying that, objectively, yellow is a terrible color and chicken is the only meat worth eating. These are opinions, not facts.

Loved,

People who don't believe in God are not going to want to hear anyone's interpretation, experience, feelings or thoughts about God. They have decided that there is no God so it is irritating and irrelevant to them.

People who might believe in God but do not ascribe to Christian beliefs also don't want someone "correcting" their "misconceptions" because it feels condescending to them, I would imagine.

Even as a Christian, I realize that the definition of "Christian" is very broad and includes people with many different beliefs. The Bible can be interpreted many different ways. There are questions that even the most studied theologians cannot answer...or do not agree on. Infighting among Christians is very distasteful and embarrassing to me. You and I might not agree on some doctrinal points of Christianity, but even I don't want to be "corrected".

In the age of the internet, every thinking person can get any information they wish about any topic they like, including religion. You don't have to "take up for" God or even give information about Christianity or the Bible or God or Jesus. People with internet access don't suffer from lack of information. Anyone who is reading any of these threads has come to their views for good reason on their own journeys. They don't want to hear what you (or I or anyone else) believes unless they ask.

even if someone does ask - what's their motivation? Change?

Really, people just want to go their own way. It's a pride issue.

Even among believers.

;)

It is clear that posting in a thread is not the way to go because many people seem to take my posts as directed at them.

You have my word that it will never happen again. I will not post in a thread for the purpose of non or x Christians discussing spiritual matters.

even if someone does ask - what's their motivation? Change?
Why not? I have. ;)

They aren't "terrible, untrue" things in any objective sense. They are only terrible and untrue in your worldview.

That is no different from saying that, objectively, yellow is a terrible color and chicken is the only meat worth eating. These are opinions, not facts.

I think that this is apples and oranges, but thanks for replying.

Seriously- I don't reply to the threads asking about homeopathy (any more, I did once and realized my error so I don't go there any more)or other such things-
That was helpful TY. The rest of your post shocked me. I thought that I was being fairly low-key in this thread.

As another poster said, it isn't your place to "correct" my "misunderstandings" at all. I don't believe I am incorrect, nor have I misunderstood anything in the Bible. I've read it many, many times cover-to-cover. I believe differently than you about it. It is not your place to keep trying to "correct" anyone who says they believe differently than you.
I didn't recall ever directing any "correction of religious/biblical misinformation" at you.

I hope this makes any sense at all. The kids are blowing up balloons and asking me to tie them as well as the five year old screaming due to not getting all of her brother's balloons.:001_huh:

Thank you, that helps. I am crying now, to be perfectly honest, but it helps.

I have actually been changing my views on the need for "correction"... whom need it and over what. One of my best friends doesn't care to hear that I don't believe in the Trinity and I am okay with that. I would not have been before.

It is clear that posting in a thread is not the way to go because many people seem to take my posts as directed at them.

After a time, it becomes somewhat painful -- like a raw spot -- to read the same proselytizing over and over again.
You have my word that it will never happen again. I will not post in a thread for the purpose of non or x Christians discussing spiritual matters. Edited by Lovedtodeath