Menu

Greek!

weat4

We're using The Greek Code Cracker now, which the kids love. After they've got that down, we'll move onto Song School Greek, and then either Greek for Children or Hey Andrew!, I haven't decided yet which one. I'm leaning towards Hey Andrew!, because it looks more complete, and Greek for Children only seems to have the Primer A book. Are there more coming? We're planning (I think... today anyway...) on using Latin for Children, so I thought keeping the same publisher might make it easier for them, but I also want it to be thorough.

My DD has enjoyed Song School Greek, Biblical Greek 4 Kids, and Greek Code Cracker. She asked for something "Easier than "Greek For Children" (She loves Latin for Children, but I can see her point-and I'd like to stall until CAP has a DVD anyway), so we're going to go to Hey Andrew 2 next year.

My youngest two are using Hey Andrew because we inherited a stack of unused workbooks in that series from my sister. They love it. A little while ago my son burst through the front door shouting, "Em and I want to have a conversation in Greek and I need my flash cards because I forgot some words!" Now, I know the words he has been learning and their conversation is going to be limited (he is finishing level 3 and she is finishing level 1), but they are certainly enjoying it.

I'll follow this thread and others to see where to go next.

Dd is currently using and enjoying Greek Alphabet Code Cracker, which mostly introduces the alphabet and has students begin using the letters phonetically with English words.

As dd expressed interest in learning more Greek, I looked into several curricula, including Greek for Children, Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek, Elementary Greek Koine for Beginners, and Athenaze. I think the last two are probably for older students (i.e., maybe not for the average 5th grader, who would need more review exercises)....if someone else knows this, hopefully they'll let us know!

I ended up finding used copies of the Bluedorn's A Greek Alphabetarion: A Primer for Teaching How to Read, Write & Pronounce Ancient & Biblical Greek and A Greek Hupogrammon: A Beginner's Copybook for the Greek Alphabet with Pronunciations. It seemed to be a bit more flexible in terms of adjusting the pacing of the material. Though I didn't do a thorough comparison, the Alphabeterion seemed to provide more detailed explanations of the sounds for each letter than the other curricula for her grade level.

For dd11, I felt that Greek for Children, Elementary Greek, and Athenaze moved too quickly, and that Hey Andrew seemed too young-ish for her. Even though Greek for Children should be the right level for dd, it looked like she'd need more review than what was provided. Which means that I'd have to come up with additional assignments. But it might be just right for other kids!

HTH!

For dd11, I felt that Greek for Children, Elementary Greek, and Athenaze moved too quickly, and that Hey Andrew seemed too young-ish for her.

You know, this was exactly the problem we ran into with our first try at Greek. Dd finished up Hey, Andrew! but there was a gap between that level and the level of the first book of Athenaze. Dh reads Greek competently and so tried to adapt Athenaze to her level. It worked reasonably well, but he just wasn't able to keep at it regularly with her and Greek lessons eventually fell away. He wants to try again with second dd (that's why you have multiple children, right? ;) ), but it would be so nice to have a "bridge" curriculum in between. One using Attic Greek, as long as I'm fantasizing.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. You are a wealth of information ~ let the researching begin. My 12 year old dd is going to public junior high in the fall and ASKED for a Greek curriculum for the summer ~ it wasn't even on my radar as we've been studying Latin (although it hasn't been her favorite subject. :001_smile:) She thanks you too.

Julie,

dd, 12

7 year old triplets ~ 2 boys, 1 girl

My dd11 is in Elementary Greek 2. She says Greek is her favorite subject. She enjoyed Code Cracker as a fun intro (definitely not necessary). I bought Bluedorn's Alphabetarion originally when we first started our Greek journey and it just wasn't clear enough for us...not easy to use.

Carolyn

My just-turned-8-yo ds LOVES Greek Alphabet Code Cracker. I decided to go with Elementary Greek. We will start it next school year. It looks awesome. I even purchased an extra workbook just for me!

:iagree:My dd went through Code Cracker and is now in her second year of Elementary Greek. She loves it! Her goal is to finish all three years of EG and then take Greek online with Lukeion.org, which uses Athenaze for high school Greek.

Edited by Alphabetika