Menu

Anyone use Memoria Press online classes...

.....specifically Latin?

My DS12 just finished First Form Latin. It is a great curriculum. He did most of it independently, which was not my intention at all. We started out together but after a few weeks of him doing it on his own, he was beyond me. So he has finished it the year on his own. I check his work and he gets all right answers, so he gets it.

But I am wanting it to be more interactive for him. I am thinking about signing him up with the online class at Memoria Press for Second Form Latin. But I want the class to be an actual online "class", where the teacher presents information, other students are there and interacting, teacher has expectations that students will attend and participate, will give feedback to students.

Why I ask is that my son is currently taking online classes with FLVS, which are free for us. While they have been decent (and we do not use it for core subjects so my expectations are not HIGH), they are not really interactive.

Basically my son logs in, reads the lesson, does the assignment and gets grades/feedback from the teacher in the form of emails and notes on assignments. There are monthly phone calls. But overall, he does it on his own, there is not alot of interaction.

What can you tell me about Memoria Press classes? Have you used them, did you like it for your child?

Or do you have another recommendation for a online Latin class that will meet my expectations? Only thing with that is that I really like the Memoria Press latin and would be unsure where to place my son in another latin curriculum.

My son is in the MP LC I online class this year. It is an interactive format. Your child will need to watch a DVD with the lesson prior to the online chat. The teacher covers material from the DVD and asks the students questions about the material. The kids can all hear each other give answers and recite conjugations or declensions. Sometimes the student types answers in and sometimes they are given orally. Right now there is a competition going on between two sessions of the class on correct recitations. On review days they play pictionary or hangman, etc. My son really enjoys that. I think the class has increased my son's understanding and made Latin more fun.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Any new thoughts on this? I am bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one.

Did the previous posters enroll in a class in the fall? If so, how is it going? My ds is in 4th grade doing Latina Christiana 1, I was thinking of putting him into MP online First Form Latin in the fall.

Are there other good online Latin programs? What about any that use Galore Park's materials?

Nicole

Dd did MP Middle School Henle Latin for 2 years. She has now switched over to Third Form that she does on her own, by her choice. The online teaching is interactive─the instructor presents material in real time, with the students responding by typing, or, in one case, the instructor attempted to have students respond orally, but it was a bit cumbersome. Most instructors have a window with a video image of themselves. Some instructors had students collaborate in break out sessions to translate sentences.

Students were expected to read the lessons and complete assignments on their own. Grading was based on on-line quizzes and tests. Instructors did not provide individual feedback outside of class time.

HTH

My son is taking Third Form right now as an online class. We have had issue after issue; the latest was when the instructor decided to use the class time to let a student screen share a YouTube video totally unrelated to Latin DURING class time. It has taken DAYS for the instructor to respond to emails, and my email of concern to the online school director has gone unanswered now for four days. I am not at all pleased.

• 1 month later...

Oldest son (now 14) has taken Logic I, II, and Material Logic online. Both boys are enrolled in First Form Greek, oldest is in Classics II, and younger in Classics I. By and large, the instructors do a really good job at engaging the class and holding the kids accountable. The lessons are rigorous but well planned. We love Memoria Press!