Menu

Is John Hopkins CTY worth it? Or Davison? Or someplace else????

I'm contemplating having ds, 8, tested for CTY. I know he is capable of it intellectually and he usually tests well, so I expect he would make it...I'm just wondering if it is worth the $100 (roughly) and what specifically we would get out of it.

I'm considering it mostly because I would like for him to have the opportunity to interact/meet with other kids who are also quite academically advanced - just for the stimulation & the sense of being "normal" among them. (I'm not trying to play the violin here...however, I hope that if you have a highly gifted kid - or whatever the label is (PG?) - you will know what I mean). I'm in WA state, so I'm wondering if there are any JH camps anywhere out here - we can travel if it's worth it, but I don't want to have to go back to JH every summer. I'm also considering CTY because I wonder if the parental support would be worth it in future years???

Sorry if I'm babbling. I guess I'm just asking what (if any) organizations - CTY or others - other parents of PG kids have really found to be worthwhile. Only one of my kids fits the PG category, but I worry about him the most - he just doesn't seem to fit in anywhere (he feels this - it's not coming from me), and I guess I'm trying to find places/organizations that will help him feel like he fits/belongs/isn't so lonely anymore. I've considered Davison (ds would qualify if I could/can get his letters of recommendation lined up....kind of hard to do when he's 8 & hsed), but then I wonder if that's worth it either.

Anyway, any insights from others with more experience and wisdom would be most appreciated.

Oh, also...I thought I had seen a previous posting on CTY, but I couldn't find it with the search function. Please feel free to point me to related threads if you know of any...

As always, thanks, hive.

I've wondered this too. DD would certainly qualify based on test scores-but at age 6, is it worth it since we don't live close enough for her to do any of the programs except for online, and EPGY open enrollment costs much less? I can easily see sending her to one of the residential programs when she's older, but for now, I don't know that it's worth it.

I had my son take the SCAT in 2nd through CTY. He qualified (barely) and now I get lots of emails and the catalogs from CTY. Just the scores from the SCAT didn't give me much info. We're too far away (and have allergy issues) to do any of the camps or courses. They do have some family activities that look neat, but they're really pricey too. The one we may try at some point is at the Monterey Aquarium (my husband's family is from Monterey). So in Washington, you might be able to get down to CA for some of the activities occasionally.

The online courses are a possibility too. My son hasn't had enough of an interest to pay the money for the courses, but if your child would be interested in the courses, that would be a reason to take the test.

I have a good friend who went through the Hopkins CTY program while in school. To this day, she still cites it as one of the best experiences in her life, and still has close friends she made while in that program across several summers. She has been urging me to put my kids in there "for their own sanity" as she says she recognizes "that type of kid" in them that she was herself.

If you believe your child fits into the program, at least according to one person who has been through it, it's a life-changing experience in a most positive way.

Jen

I agree with Dana that the family activities are really expensive. They're usually great programs, but most of them are programs you can find on your own. For example, near where we live is a two-day boat trip; you can book the same trip through the boating company for far less than through CTY.

The online classes are quite hit or miss. Crafting the Essay, for example, is supposed to be excellent. A lot of the math classes, though, just use Thinkwell.

Kids who have done the CTY summer camps are almost universally positive about their experiences (maybe the kids who hated it just aren't saying?). The younger student summer program (Baby CTY) at Stanford was terrific. I wouldn't say the academics were all that spectacular, but the kid had fun, learned about sitting in a classroom, had to deal with a difficult roommate...all sorts of things he probably needed some experience with.

My son hasn't done the summer camps for older kids, so I can't speak to those, but I've heard really good things about them.

Davidson is extremely difficult to get into, but I hear that it is a wonderful support network that is very unique. It is also hard to explain how it works, as I didn't even quite get it. And I had all the literature in my hand, talking to a woman who's kid was in the program.

It is also only for PG kids (profoundly gifted). It is for the minority within the gifted community, at that upper fringe.

I'm going off in another direction but have a thought that hasn't been mentioned. It sounds like your primary objective is to find same-age peers who are intellectually similar to your son. I live in a large city, and there is a local Yahoo group here for parents of profoundly and exceptionally gifted children. Frequently parents post inquiries about finding playmates for their children or having gatherings. It's a by-invitation-only group that I found after attending a local seminar on giftedness and talking to another mother who was a member. I wonder if there might be something like this in your area? Just a thought.

I would say it depends on what you are looking for.

If your goal is to find other kids like yours to be around locally, it might not be worth it. Check into gifted yahoo groups for your area instead. Or try a local college, some of them have programs for gifted kids too.

If you are looking for expensive but interesting classes for your child CTY might work well. The classes are seriously expensive though.

If your goal is a support group for YOU and the local group isn't working. Davidson might be a better fit. It doesn't cost money to apply but it can cost big money to get the testing done in order to apply. But if your child is that far out there it may be the best way to find other people who understand.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

We did the testing last year, but only because we qualified for the financial aid and only had to pay $20. My DD qualified in the verbal section for classes. DS, despite the proctor not giving him pencil and scratch paper :glare:, qualified in the math section and received recognition at the awards ceremony in Seattle. The only benefit, for us, was the excitement of DS qualifying for the award.

We cannot afford the activities and camps. Not only are they outside of our budget, but they are all so far away. We can't afford the classes either. There is no parental support and no meeting other gifted kids outside the activities/camps/classes. So, unless you can afford those, it's pretty worthless.

If you live near Seattle, though, there are math circles and a math salon that might interest you. These guys teach for the Robinson Center at UW. Their math salon is free and was such a boost for DS; it's just math/strategy/logic games but all of the kids there like math, and it seemed most are in gifted classes at their schools or homeschool. I know my son love their Robinson Center classes but an hour's drive and the cost prevent us from being able to do them.