Menu

Need help - lots of hot dogs in freezer and need to make dinner

I have several packages of hot dogs in the freezer left over from a church event we hosted. We are really trying to go 2 more weeks without buying any groceries.

I don't have any buns and have no time to bake any.

I don't have any loaf bread because I haven't had time to bake any.

I don't have any sauerkraut.

I don't want to make a hot dog/corn dog casserole as dh doesn't like it. He also doesn't like mac and cheese so adding them to that is not an option either.

Any ideas? Something tasty?

My mom used to slice them length-wise (still keeping them intact though), lay them flat (inside of hot dog up), top with mashed potatoes and cheese, and broil a few minutes. We thought this was great when we were little:)

Ooh, that sounds good! I will file tha away for future ideas since we have so many to eat. Unfortunately I served the last of the potatoes last night LOL.

Can you make baked beans and add them? I think it's called beans-n-franks.
Hmm, I think I need to go find a recipe for that. I have lots of beans canned and frozen...

Thanks for the ideas!

Potatoes? You could chop up some hot dogs and make hash, with or without egg on top.

Ditto for cabbage, with or without potato added, perhaps with a creamy mustard sauce.

Biscuits would be nice with either.

Ok, you ready? I almost died when my 100% Italian mother in law put this in front of me, but I have to admit, it's a family favorite. Total comfort food.

Hotdog Stew

saute an onion and some garlic (or not if you hate them) in a big stock pot

peel some carrots and cut into big chunks, and the same with potatoes. Add some celery in if you like. Throw it all in the pot.

Put some water (or broth) in, enough to just cover the veggies, and add in a can of tomatoes-any kind. Stewed, diced, puree, crushed, whatever you have.

When the carrots and potatoes are half done, cut up the hotdogs into bitesized pieces and add them into the pot. Give it a good stir, get it up to a simmer and then add in a bag of frozen peas (or not). It's done when the potatoes are done and the broth is thick and orangey.

We serve it bread (which I get get yammered on if we don't have it) because you need the bread to sop up the sauce.

Please don't think less of me....:tongue_smilie:

Well, this is sort of mac & cheese but maybe different enough that your hubby won't mind. And I'm aware it isn't healthy.

We call it Chili-Mac-a-Dog.

Mac and cheese, cooked to box's specification.

Add can of chili

Add cut up hot dogs.

We plan on making Chili-Mac-a Burger, too.

Mac and cheese, cooked to box's specification.

Add can of chili.

Serve over open face burger.