Menu

Do you build your own copywork curriculum?

Koerarmoca

I would love to be organized enough to do it all in advance, but I mostly do it weekly. We do Bible memory verses from AWANA, plus WWE2 and some history copywork as well. Each paper is filed in one of DD's notebooks behind the appropriate tab. Maybe by the time my next child is the same age, I could comb bind the work I've done?

We use StartWrite, too. There's also a free Zaner Bloser site that is good as well.

I use StartWrite. I look at history and science first. I take important facts, lists, definitions, poems, et cetera. For instance, the Pledge, the Star-Spangled Banner, the Gettysburg Address ... If I get stuck, I go to Currclick and grab the copybooks there for reference - many times offered for less than a dollar or free. We place these items in the notebook for that subject.

I select passges from our "little great books" and from the Bible too.

Whatever happens to cross my mind for that week will become copywork and dictation or memory work. :D

Do you mean at the ZB website where you can type in the copywork and it will print it for you in cursive or print with space for the child to copy?

If so, I still see it under the handwriting tab. But maybe you mean something else?

Oh, it does still work. It's just different. I finally figured out you have to close the window completely to change what you want.

Thanks!

I do our own copywork, but no more than a week in advance. I grab a couple/few books worked in lately, like Song School Latin, FLL, a read aloud, or a science or history topic, along with their writing tablet. From there I flip to where we worked last, scan for a sentence that looks good, and write it out on their paper with a pen. Then I pull those papers out of the tablet and hand it to the kids on the day they need it.

I download loved public domain works from Gutenberg, import them into a word processor, fix the formatting (curly quotes, etc.), and then change them to our font of choice, GDI, and adjust the size. Copying is done onto sheets of lined paper which I also print. I purchased the font from Educational Fontware. Entire works are copied, scriptorium style.

I use different sources for the copywork, but I just print or write it in cursive on paper, hole-punch it and put it in a binder. Some sources I use:

our Awana books -one bible verse per week

Quotes from any famous people we are learning about at the time- Ben Franklin, George Washington etc

Literature books they are reading

History books we are reading and SOTW

etc.

We make our own. I get the handwriting paper from wherever (at the moment it's the bumpy kind) and using a Sharpie (oh, how I love colorful Sharpies :D) I write out whatever it is she's copying. Hole punched, it stays in a folder in a binder. She pulls out a page, copies it and then puts it in the binder rings. I only do 4 or 5 ahead of time. If I go too much further ahead, then what she's copying isn't "relevant" and that, I have learned, is her own personal need when it comes to copywork.

Any of her memory work is fair game: Scripture passages, poems we're reading, virtues/habits I want to embed, etc. We do Classical Conversations, so I've had her copy out some of the science and history. Some of them are multiple pages long, some are just one page. I only require one page a day, but sometimes she's just so interested in what she's writing she'll keep going until it's finished (her record is 5 pages in one day). As long as it's "relevant..." :lol:

I usually select our copywork the morning of (Bible, History, Literature - I usually try to tie it in to whatever grammar concept we're studying in FLL) and I write it on a small white board for each of my kids. We prop the mini-white boards up on a wire book holder and they copy it from there on to their lined paper, which gets filed away in their Language Arts binder.