Menu

Fluff thread: Why do dogs bond to specific members of the family?

One of our dogs prefers me to all others. I can't figure out why. DD14 feeds him in the morning, DH feeds him at night, DD11 brushes him. We all walk him. I work full time and they are home all day.

Yet, he wants ME to play with him and wants to sit pressed up to ME on the sofa and rests his head on MY lap when I'm at the table. Why? :confused:

The only thing I can think of is when we first found him, a scared skinny stray covered head to toe in ticks, I was the one who first befriended him and I was the one who went over him and picked off all the ticks. However, that was YEARS ago. Reckon he remembers? :001_huh:

Pegasus

This is my story, too. It is clear that I am the "big dog" in the house and I think that has something to do with it. This is our first dog and she facinates me. She seems to know the social rules and heirarchy. Cats are NOT like that.

ETA: I agree.....it is very sweet. You are a lucky dog owner!!!

Our current dog is bonded to me. She is like a toddler, seriously. She will get between ds and I if he tries to hug me. She throws a fit if I leave, even if the boys are home. She's not aggressive, just spoiled. In our case I think it was because I'm the one that took care of her as a puppy. She would literally sleep on my feet while I was at the desk. She's 70lbs now and still does that.

We had huskies previously and they were more bonded to each other. However one of them adored dh. She would sit and stare at him and never move. Blue husky eyes staring at you can be quite distracting. She was dh's dog before we got married and she was mad after we were married and she got kicked out of the bed.

Same thing with my dog and she is definitely *my* dog. My 14 yo ds feeds her, bathes her, takes her out and is the one to give her treats yet it is me she sleeps with, me who makes her sad when I leave and joyful when I return, and me she wedges herself next to whenever anyone else tries to cuddle. Love that dog. :D

Our male dachshund is very bonded to dh. Our female dachshund is very bonded to me. Our dameranian is bonded to dd. The Belgian Malinois prefers dh but is extremely protective of dd. The Bloodhound/Golden Retriever cross likes everyone and is very protective of the chickens.

Our male dachshund is very bonded to dh. Our female dachshund is very bonded to me. Our dameranian is bonded to dd. The Belgian Malinois prefers dh but is extremely protective of dd. The Bloodhound/Golden Retriever cross likes everyone and is very protective of the chickens.

So the answer is a dog for everyone. :lol: