Menu

Is it just me or

arliemaria

It must be just you :tongue_smilie:

What do you find "ugly" exactly? There is a plethora of handwriting styles and copybooks available these days and much of it is well made, imho. I love practicing different styles and except for the weird 'G' of American cursive, I like them all.

Have you looked at the Getty-Dubay Italics workbooks? Not only is that handwriting style pretty, the workbooks are also cute. My dd likes the letters joining hands (cursive) and I like that they include mini languages lessons like contractions, superlatives, homophones, etc.

Just a thought - if you feel that the triple dotted guidelines make the page look ugly, you can just install a font without the guidelines and print your own copywork on unlined paper.

HTH

Queen Homeschool Printing with Pictures and Pictures in Cursive uses art masterpieces as the focal point for the handwriting exercises. I personally haven't used the printing series but do have the cursive series. Simply gorgeous. The only thing I would say is that there is not enough handwriting exercises. For that I do supplement with CLP handwriting series and boring old age-appropriate handwriting paper. :)

My little sister Chloee wants to begin cursive, but I think I am going to wait until she is in the third grade, even though I think she could handle it now. I want her to work on her printing a bit more. I really think I want to wait just because I want to know what font I want to teach her.

I do not like Getty-Dubay or other Italic handwriting. I also do not like Handwriting Without Tears. I learned a very traditional style. I do not know the name of what I was taught, but it is probably more along the lines of Palmer. I would love to teach Spencerian, but don't know if that is truly possible.

I would love to teach Spencerian, but don't know if that is truly possible.

I teach my kids Spencerian. My DD(9) is nearly through with her 5th copybook. She'll begin assigned copywork after this, longer passages, and she does all of her schoolwork and correspondence in Spencerian. My DS(8) is definitely taking longer, and we nearly quit, but it suddenly has seemed to "click," so to speak, and he's getting much better. It's taken us roughly 2 years, give or take, to get through it all, but it was so worth it. DD has the prettiest handwriting of any 9 year old I've ever seen.

I teach my kids Spencerian. My DD(9) is nearly through with her 5th copybook. She'll begin assigned copywork after this, longer passages, and she does all of her schoolwork and correspondence in Spencerian. My DS(8) is definitely taking longer, and we nearly quit, but it suddenly has seemed to "click," so to speak, and he's getting much better. It's taken us roughly 2 years, give or take, to get through it all, but it was so worth it. DD has the prettiest handwriting of any 9 year old I've ever seen.

May I ask where you purchased the Spencerian book? From Amazon? I thought most Americans can't read Spencerian cursive since it's really fancy, so I've thought about it and wondered if I would have to pair it with something more practical.

Queen Homeschool Printing with Pictures and Pictures in Cursive uses art masterpieces as the focal point for the handwriting exercises. I personally haven't used the printing series but do have the cursive series. Simply gorgeous. The only thing I would say is that there is not enough handwriting exercises. For that I do supplement with CLP handwriting series and boring old age-appropriate handwriting paper. :)

I'm confused -- Does the "Pictures in Cursive" not link all of its letters? http://www.queenhomeschool.com/alphapage/alphaframe.html Look at the Pictures in cursive Book A preview for "Find two dogs"... are students supposed to not link them or is that a mistake because the textbook was written in a font that couldn't link between certain letters?

May I ask where you purchased the Spencerian book? From Amazon? I thought most Americans can't read Spencerian cursive since it's really fancy, so I've thought about it and wondered if I would have to pair it with something more practical.

I'm not PP. But, I am searching for cursive program and interested in Spencerian as well. They have it at Rainbow Resource Center.

Here's the link.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/Spencerian+Penmanship+Copy+Books+Set+1-5/018351/1301425970-1130274

Anyone who has learned cursive can read Spencerian. A few letters are quite different but they can be figured out.

I bought my from Amazon. Here's the link. A few of the letters are... unique. ;) The "p" doesn't connect at the bottom of the loop, for example. We just adjusted, so that letter like that are slightly more modern. (Had them connect the loop.) The "I" and "J" are a little unique, but I don't think no one would be able to read it. It's pretty much just basic cursive, just slightly more ornate.

I'm confused -- Does the "Pictures in Cursive" not link all of its letters? http://www.queenhomeschool.com/alphapage/alphaframe.html Look at the Pictures in cursive Book A preview for "Find two dogs"... are students supposed to not link them or is that a mistake because the textbook was written in a font that couldn't link between certain letters?

I just went to preview this. It looks like the last line where the letters are not connected may just be a special drill they use to practice individual letters because everywhere else all the letters are connected.

I really like the idea of doing art study along with handwriting, but I do not like the style. I think I am just too picky when it comes to penmanship.