Menu

S/O how sick is too sick... how to build up my familys immune systems

Hi Everyone again :001_smile:-

Thank you so much for all the replies! I really appreciate it!

So now I am wondering if anyone would mind sharing ways you have used to build up the immune system through diet and/or vitamins, essential oils or what not? At this point I am considering putting everyone on a garlic supplement- among other things. Thanks!

Lots of veggies and exercise, and a simple multi-vitamin/mineral plus fish oil. We add in vitamin D, as we live on the same latitude as Moscow and don't get much sun in winter. And using ordinary cleaning products at home, not anti-microbials or bleaches. I believe that we live best surrounded by a controlled bloom of microbes against which our bodies' defence systems can react.

Laura

Similar to Laura although we live in a lower lattitude and i get plenty of sunshine- still my Vit D was low so I am taking that.

I also have garlic capsules (Kyolic), Cats Claw capsules, echinacea liquid and an astragalus tonic for when there is any sign of sickness and/or for building the immune system. This morning ds15 woke up with a cough and a sore throat. I gave him a dose of everything I have :) plus a green smoothie and he came home from school feeling well- no longer sick.

I agree with letting them get exposure to germs. We don't even do the washing hands thing others seem to do. Also remember that every time they do get sick, their immune system is working hard and getting stronger- but every time you resort to antibiotics, the immune system doesn't get to overcome the illness and build antibodies to the same extent.

I'm interested in this thread, too. I have two at home who are CONSTANTLY sick!! My husband and I are pretty healthy, but the 17 yo DD and 12 yo DS are like plague carriers, I swear.

I try to get them to take a daily vitamin, eat plenty of greens and get exercise, but it doesn't seem to help. Arggh.

20 yo DD who is away at college, however, is as healthy as a horse! She hardly ever went to a doctor her entire life.

Natural supplements are fine. The one single thing that I think has probably helped our family most has been switching to organic foods where possible. We also drink Echinacea tea on occasion during the winter. We use a Neti pot to keep our sinuses healthy when allergies threaten; take a spoonful of raw honey from the season that we're in (also for allergies); take Oscillococcinum at the first sign of a respiratory virus of any kind; and put vinegar in our ears at the first sign of a virus. We haven't been sick for years!

Natural supplements are fine. The one single thing that I think has probably helped our family most has been switching to organic foods where possible. We also drink Echinacea tea on occasion during the winter.

We also use Echinacea tea. I drink several cups whenever I begin to feel a little off. I like Traditional Medicinals brand which is organic and sold at both my local health food store and target.

Shannon