Menu

Good laminator??

I have a purple cows laminator I got it off amazon it was on sale at the time for $25 and came with 100 mulitsized sheets. I have been happy with it thus far. I have laminated maybe 50 things and only messed up on one but I wasn't paying attention and fed it crocked.

Well forget that!!! It's a $1.49 per page :eek: Guess I am buying me a laminator today... better get to looking at reviews...

Get the Scotch brand one. It's around $25 at Walmart or Target.

If you have a Sam's Club membership, you can get refills there at around $20 for 200 sheets.

Get the Scotch brand one. It's around $25 at Walmart or Target.

If you have a Sam's Club membership, you can get refills there at around $20 for 200 sheets.

Really?? Awesome!! We have been meaning to get over and get our membership for about a week now :D

Can you laminate small items like 3x5 cards and cut them apart with this one? Some I've seen only seal the edges.

I don't know, but I need to... I'll be cutting into what I am laminating. It's for the manipulatives for my Mastering Mathematics. There are counting strips, flash cards, number wheels, etc... etc...

Can you laminate small items like 3x5 cards and cut them apart with this one? Some I've seen only seal the edges.

the purple cows one from amazon you can. It comes with 3 different size sheets letter sized and two smaller sized 3x5 and biz card sized I believe. I have used the letter sized to print flash cards and cut them out with no problems and they have held up nicely. I have laminated pre cut things with space inbetween and the sealed just fine.

Yep! You can cut these things apart.

the purple cows one from amazon you can. It comes with 3 different size sheets letter sized and two smaller sized 3x5 and biz card sized I believe. I have used the letter sized to print flash cards and cut them out with no problems and they have held up nicely. I have laminated pre cut things with space inbetween and the sealed just fine.

:iagree: BUT, you need to use a little adhesive to make sure the cards stay put because the sheets feed from the top. Here's a link to the Scotch laminator on amazon.

So just to be sure... the way I envision it is I can laminate the WHOLE printer size sheet, and then cut them and they will still be fine :confused:

Or do I need to cut first, and then laminate the odd, smaller, sizes??

So just to be sure... the way I envision it is I can laminate the WHOLE printer size sheet, and then cut them and they will still be fine :confused:

With any laminator you would need to cut first or the edges of the items would not be sealed. BUT, if you don't need the edges sealed, the lamination will stay on the front and back of the item if you laminate and then cut (I just tested this).

I want to know this too. I have the Scotch laminator and it works great, but I've never been certain of the whole cutting issue, so I have always cut first, then laminated. It would be soooo much easier to laminate first and then cut!

With any laminator you would need to cut first or the edges of the items would not be sealed. BUT, if you don't need the edges sealed, the lamination will stay on the front and back of the item if you laminate and then cut (I just tested this).

I suppose they don't need to, but it would protect from spills, and make them more durable. So how hard is it to laminate a circle, odd stepped long rectangle, small flashcards, etc... Do I have to waste a whole big sheet on that?

Thanks! (I never wanted to waste a laminating pouch to test it myself.)

So for something like flashcards I could probably get away with laminating and then cutting. I don't think the edges not being sealed would matter...it's not like they're going to get wet or anything.

I suppose they don't need to, but it would protect from spills, and make them more durable. So how hard is it to laminate a circle, odd stepped long rectangle, small flashcards, etc... Do I have to waste a whole big sheet on that?

I always just fit as many small things into a big sheet as I can, leaving a little space between them. Then you can just cut them out that way (and the edges will be sealed, if that is an issue for you).

Thanks! (I never wanted to waste a laminating pouch to test it myself.)

So for something like flashcards I could probably get away with laminating and then cutting. I don't think the edges not being sealed would matter...it's not like they're going to get wet or anything.

Yeah, for the flash cards that would probably work.

I always just fit as many small things into a big sheet as I can, leaving a little space between them. Then you can just cut them out that way (and the edges will be sealed, if that is an issue for you).

Oi Vey!! What a pain... but if it works... then I guess I am stuck :001_huh:

yep. with the laminator I have it came with a bunch of smaller sheets so if I just need one small thing done I use a smaller sheet if I have a bunch of little things I use a letter sized sheet. it has little guides on the machine for the smaller sized ones to the bigger sized ones.

I place 3 or 4 items inside the sheet, leaving about 1/2-3/4 inch of space in between. This leaves enough of an edge around the items I am laminating that the edges are sealed when I cut them out. It finishes the edges just like it would had I done a full size sheet of paper.