Menu

need ideas for an elective worth a quarter credit

My sophomore daughter is finishing up some of her classes early and will be done with most of her work by the end of April. She has had a rough year with a lot of medical problems and major leg surgery in January so she has had a pretty easy year academically. I wasn't able to give her a very rigorous schedule. So far her only credits for this year will be: geometry, world geography, world history, sophomore english and German. We're not sure if she will be homeschooling next year and we also don't want to do work over the summer since the past 6 months have been tough medically and stress wise for my whole family. We need a break so I don't want anything that will take us into the summer.

Because of this, I am looking for a subject that she could start working on this week and then when she finishes the rest of her subjects next month she could spend the extra time on that subject. We will finish this school year the end of May. She is really interested in weather but I'm not sure if I could come up with something that would be worth 1/4 of a high school credit. I am also looking for possible electives but she already did health and a computer class last year. Any ideas?

Speaking from experience while homeschooling with a very ill student:

Five credits in one year is enough. I wouldn't try to add anything.

Is there something she is doing already that "could" be counted? My 17 year old has learned about photography, cameras, and compostion over the past 3 years that I'm giving her a half credit of photography this last semester.

Cooking? home ec credit

Piano? music credit

Reading novels? contemporary fiction

watching movies? film studies

I would require oral reports and discussion. And, I'd probably require 2 or 3 short written papers.. but then I must have grades to turn in to our umbrella school.

Another idea: if she might not be homeschooled next year.... what subjects will she be taking??.. You could get books from the library and she could be ahead for next year. If you knew what math book she'd be using, you could get a head start on math.

How about Computer Skills (MS Office tutorials free online, learning to use Excel, Powerpoint, Word proficiently)

Or Vocabulary (SAT prep lists, or VfCR books, or whatever)

Or some specialized literature course based on her interests? Read 2-3 good classic novels from a certain era or genre?

Or some specialized literature course based on her interests? Read 2-3 good classic novels from a certain era or genre?

I like this idea. Another suggestion would be drawing. Using the New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook: Guided Practice in the Five Basic Skills of Drawing by Betty Edwards would be a great quarter or half credit class.

Regards,

Kareni

I would go with something science related since that's the only major subject missing for the year. Weather was a good suggestion. Ask your daughter what she'd like to learn about. Astronomy might work well. If she's doing this class without doing others at the same time, she may well be able to fit in a half of credit instead of a quarter. If it's something fun that she really likes, then if it spills over into summer, she may not mind. You could even plan some field trips during the summer related to whatever she decides to study. Sky watching and following and predicting the weather are great fun in the summer. I hope you all have a wonderful summer. :)