Menu

Can you help me list all the progymnasmata materials available?

Janie

I know of

Please add to the list, if you know of other material. Links would be helpful.

Thanks!

Edited by Janie
Added to the list
  • Thanks 1

Heather,

I assume you are referring to IEW's Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales? Because I really don't see that IEW has taken much of a purist approach to progym, I'm going to opt not to include it in the big list. If I'm mistaken or have overlooked the rest of the progym exercises, please correct me.

Thanks!

It's really not much different than the Logos books you included. I wouldn't include either of them personally, as "imitation" does not necessarily equal progym.

But IEW has a specific progym program: Classical Rhetoric through Structure and Style

Some more:

Omnibus includes progymnasmata exercises in its writing.

Some of us have been using college textbooks for progymnasmata instruction since before homeschool curriculum was available for it. For example, Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student or Composition in the Classical Tradition. :)

I don't think they are described as progym materials, but Wm. Henry Maxwell's School Composition and Ida Brautigam's Composition Books One, Two, and Three seem to build on the progym. I think they are very similar to the programs which have been listed in this thread. They are free and accessible online at google books.

• Thanks 1

I don't think they are described as progym materials, but Wm. Henry Maxwell's School Composition and Ida Brautigam's Composition Books One, Two, and Three seem to build on the progym. I think they are very similar to the programs which have been listed in this thread. They are free and accessible online at google books.

Thanks for these tips. I'm printing the Maxwell book now.

But I'm having trouble finding the right Brautigam files. Is this part of her Progressive Composition series? Could you send links to the correct rhetoric-stage files?

Thanks!

Heather,

I assume you are referring to IEW's Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales? Because I really don't see that IEW has taken much of a purist approach to progym, I'm going to opt not to include it in the big list. If I'm mistaken or have overlooked the rest of the progym exercises, please correct me.

Thanks!

:iagree:

Yes, I believe some programs don't actually follow the whole progym sequence but only include parts of it. It's like baking a cake and leaving out some of the ingredients. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

Yes, I believe some programs don't actually follow the whole progym sequence but only include parts of it. It's like baking a cake and leaving out some of the ingredients. :tongue_smilie:

I have never heard anything that indicates that IEW is trying to use any of the progym in the TWSS, SWI, etc. (I also don't think that WWE is intended to utilize the progym, btw.) Some of the skills taught and methods used overlap, of course, but I think that will happen in any writing instruction.

Much like the Socratic method here lately, the name progymnasmata seems to get thrown around as a generic term. :D

I could be way off base, of course. :001_smile:

I have never heard anything that indicates that IEW is trying to use any of the progym in the TWSS, SWI, etc. (I also don't think that WWE is intended to utilize the progym, btw.) Some of the skills taught and methods used overlap, of course, but I think that will happen in any writing instruction.

Much like the Socratic method here lately, the name progymnasmata seems to get thrown around as a generic term. :D

I could be way off base, of course. :001_smile:

Ah, I think you're usually quite "on-base"! :001_smile:

I think the confusion lies with the terms "classical" and "progymnasmata". I thought the progymnasmata was quite specific and fell under the classical umbrella; they used to go hand-in-hand. Lately "classical" is the catch-word and everyone seems to use it to boost the selling features of their product. I was surprised to hear that some of the writing programs with "classical" in their title, actually don't follow the progymnasmata. :001_huh:

Now am I completely off-base? ;)

In any case, here is a link to the explanation of the progymnasmata from the CW website, for those of you who are curious: http://www.classicalwriting.com/Progym.htm

• Thanks 1

Ah, I think you're usually quite "on-base"! :001_smile:

I think the confusion lies with the terms "classical" and "progymnasmata". I thought the progymnasmata was quite specific and fell under the classical umbrella; they used to go hand-in-hand. Lately "classical" is the catch-word and everyone seems to use it to boost the selling features of their product. I was surprised to hear that some of the writing programs with "classical" in their title, actually don't follow the progymnasmata. :001_huh:

Now am I completely off-base? ;)

In any case, here is a link to the explanation of the progymnasmata from the CW website, for those of you who are curious: http://www.classicalwriting.com/Progym.htm

I've never really seen classical and progymnasmata used synonymously before (or rhetoric and progym.) I think the progym is classical, but classical isn't necessarily progym.

The progym isn't the only way to go, imho. Useful as I think they are, they aren't the only way to solid (even classical) writing instruction.

Here is one more which looks nice for an overview (Illustrated Lessons in Composition and Rhetoric by Erle E. Clippinger). The topics covered in the table of contents are:

*Descriptive

*Narrative

*Expository

*Argumentative

*Letter Writing

*Oral Composition

*Fable

*Essay

*Public Address

*Debate

*Poetry

*Review of grammar and diction