Menu

Skincare Question

Are blackheads/large pores on the nose hereditary? Unavoidable for some?

I developed blackheads all over my nose as a teen. Nothing I did made any difference, and I still have them to this day. Those nose strips don't even help, they just pull out the blockage and a new one forms. I figure mine have been there so long, they are just now part of my skin.

Now my DD12 is getting them. Doesn't matter if she keeps her face clean, exfoliates, etc. But I see other kids her age that don't have them.

Do some people "just have them"? I always hated them as a teen and even as an adult. Is there anything I can do for my DD to help get rid of them? We are already doing the normal skin care.

What kind of cleanser are you using? I recommend using one that contains salicylic acid. Also, a toner containing colloidal silver as that has natural antibiotic properties.

Unfortunately, blackheads are hereditary. There are a few things that you can do diet wise that also affect blackheads. Limiting caffeine, dairy products, carbohydrates and fats will help the blackheads.

Are blackheads/large pores on the nose hereditary? Unavoidable for some?

I developed blackheads all over my nose as a teen. Nothing I did made any difference, and I still have them to this day. Those nose strips don't even help, they just pull out the blockage and a new one forms. I figure mine have been there so long, they are just now part of my skin.

Now my DD12 is getting them. Doesn't matter if she keeps her face clean, exfoliates, etc. But I see other kids her age that don't have them.

Do some people "just have them"? I always hated them as a teen and even as an adult. Is there anything I can do for my DD to help get rid of them? We are already doing the normal skin care.

I think (not an expert or anything) that it is largely genetic. My mom & all of her sisters, and her dad, and his dad.... All have large pores on their noses & chronic blackheads. I've noticed recently (I'm almost 26) that I seem to be developing the same issue. I've always had good, clear skin... and now my nose is turning into my grandfather's nose. :glare:

:sad: That's what I suspected. Bummer! We do use salicylic acid treatment, but DD's skin also gets really flaky so we can't use too much. Her skin is oily like a teenager, but also gets flaky in her eyebrow and nose area.

Thanks for the responses.

:sad: That's what I suspected. Bummer! We do use salicylic acid treatment, but DD's skin also gets really flaky so we can't use too much. Her skin is oily like a teenager, but also gets flaky in her eyebrow and nose area.

Thanks for the responses.

Does she use a moisturizer on a regular basis? If her skin is oily, she still needs to use a moisturizer or her skin will become even oilier. She can also alternate between the salicylic acid and a regular face wash. Another option is to find a moisturizing cleanser that contains salicylic acid and stay away from any cleansers that have alcohol in it as it will dry her out as well.

Does she use a moisturizer on a regular basis? If her skin is oily, she still needs to use a moisturizer or her skin will become even oilier. She can also alternate between the salicylic acid and a regular face wash. Another option is to find a moisturizing cleanser that contains salicylic acid and stay away from any cleansers that have alcohol in it as it will dry her out as well.

This is what's weird, she does use a moisturizer. Here's what we do now:

Wash with Cetaphil once per day. Wash with plain water the other time. Moisturize with Neutrogena oil free moisturizer after washing with soap.

Once every couple of days she washes using the Olay brush thing.

One every two weeks or so she exfoliates with Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub.

If we use the brush thing more often, she gets excessively flaky. If we exfoliate any more often, excessively flaky. If she uses any cleanser with Salicylic acid on a regular basis, massive flakes. We apply anything with salicylic acid as a spot treatment.

I've never seen the combo of oily plus flakes before.

Someone on this forum once posted about a method of cleansing with oil. I've found that works the best for me and I don't need to cleanse this way everyday. I use jojoba oil.

I don't know if this is the what was originally posted but here's the method:

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

This is interesting. My mom swears by olive oil. I hate the FEEL of oil, so I've avoided trying it. I didn't know if it was appropriate for a teen with clogged pores.

Yes, it is hereditary. Are the blackheads on her nose the sort that are easily extracted (as in, they are sort of sticking up above the surface of the skin, or is the skin mostly smooth with little black dots scattered about)?

Pore strips take some getting used to but they do seem to minimize pores for a few days. You have to use them consistently every third day or so to maintain the effects. I use them on my chin and nose, where I have noticably larger pores and little black dots (even though the skin there is smooth).

Ugh! I have large pores too and they are the bane of my existence! The ONLY thing I have found that helps is Philosophy's Help Me. I use it at night after washing my face and before my moisturizer. If I use it religiously, the pores are diminished. If I get lazy, they come right back. :(

The Help Me, coupled with a good face primer before applying foundation really goes a long way to minimizing my pores. They look almost normal with makeup on. :)

This is what's weird, she does use a moisturizer. Here's what we do now:

Wash with Cetaphil once per day. Wash with plain water the other time. Moisturize with Neutrogena oil free moisturizer after washing with soap.

Once every couple of days she washes using the Olay brush thing.

One every two weeks or so she exfoliates with Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub.

If we use the brush thing more often, she gets excessively flaky. If we exfoliate any more often, excessively flaky. If she uses any cleanser with Salicylic acid on a regular basis, massive flakes. We apply anything with salicylic acid as a spot treatment.

I've never seen the combo of oily plus flakes before.

My son has had the combo of oily plus flakes a year ago. The one thing I really see missing is use of a toner. This is what helps balance out the ph of the skin and should be applied prior to the moisturizer.

How much water does she drink? Increasing water helped my son battle the oily plus flakes.