Menu

Which Driver's Ed program? Can anybody comment, please?

Holy guacamole! All of a sudden I have a 15 year old. Now, while I firmly believe that kids shouldn't be on the road till 18 or 25 or so....I guess I still need to teach him to drive. Yep.

In Virginia, there are four correspondence courses that are approved by Va. DMV:

DriversEd.com

I Drive Safely (idrivesafely.com)

National Driver Training Institute (usdrivertraining.com)

VADETS OnLine DRiver Education Course (vadriveredu.org)

Has anybody researched these and done my work already? Any comparative comments would be helpful. I did search around WTM and found very little.

Thanks,

LBS

Edited by LBS

Hi!

We didn't really research, just bought the cheapest approved program!:) We purchased driversed.com through the Homeschool buyers coop. Our second ds is using it now and it is very adequate. We are also in VA, so it is definately allowed. After they complete the course, we are having them do the driving portion through a driving school and then they have ther license. It seems quite painless for me :) My ds seems to chuckle a lot while doing the course and he also made a comment that he probably should have done it before he got his permit. He just read the va drivers manual booklet and took the permit test and passed. Now, he is taking the course and it seems to be a lot of review. But, he has learned new material also.

HTH

Our road trip so far on driver's ed:

got the state driving manual

read it

took permit test

got permit

we're logging hours as she drives (have to have certain number of hours)

We bought the

course with book. seems nice and detailed on lots of things, which she likes.

the videos aren't that great, but they work well enough.

We hope to avoid the local driving school (cha ching! and extra time)

I didn't really research all of the options for program. I had a friend who used this one with at least 3 of his children. ok, that and a discount offer from hslda. good enough. :)

-crystal

My daughter used the VADETS program a few years ago. It came with a textbook, video, and online lessons. I remember that the lessons had quizzes built in and wouldn't let her progress until she had a suffieciently high score on each chapter. At the end of the course she had to take a final exam online. I vaguely recall that she was assigned a real teacher whom she could email with any questions, but I don't remember her needing to do that (other than to take care of paperwork).

We were pleased with the course overall, and it earned her the certificate you need to present to the DMV in VA in order to get permission to proceed with the licensing requirements for homeschoolers.

Thank-you, Karen, Crystal and Kathy!

I get the impression that our state is more organized than some in that there is a nice page or two at DMV website dealing with what homeschoolers should do, and that is where I got the approved list and instructions for doing the classroom and in-car components. There is a short form for me to prove I'm the approved homeschool parent, that will allow me to get authorization to teach the in-car portion to my child. They don't give names of places to install that second set of brakes on the passenger side. There has been no part of parenting that I didn't say "oh, this is my favorite stage" as we came upon it: diapers, sickness, adolescence, none of it phased me, till driver's ed. I only had to do the 40 hours in the car, with the older two, but I hate/hate/hated it with a passion. They did too. But we all made up and lived to tell about it.

I guess it just seems so much less complicated than I thought it would be. Getting it done thru public school was a pain. The kids said the classroom part was boring and stupid. The only part that was easy was that the PE teacher who taught the in-car portion, was a neighbor and he'd pick one kid up really early in the morning and get it done before school, for the 5-6 days he needed. I guess my country kids had a little jump-starter, driving lawn and then big tractor some. The real road scares me silly, and I've been driving almost 40 years!

I appreciate the help, so much!

LBS

Our DD is starting driving school next week, a friend was teaching her daughter and her daughter got very offended about stuff and would not listen to her mother when driving, her mother was a nervous wreck. We took some of our income tax money and signed her up for the drivers school. BUt we still have to do the 10 hrs day and 10 hrs driving with her at night and she has to drive six months before taking her test at the dmv. At the drivers school, they give the written test for the permit then we go and get her picture taken along with the papers they give us to take with us. There are several sites on the web that you can get online test for 14.00 to do how ever long you need to, DD just finished the how 100 questions and passed with 100 percent. It asks all kinds of questions and this is with her not even looking at a handbook or being behind the wheel.

In Texas they have to pass the parralell parking and doing ourselves I donot know where we would go to have her practice.

that is the program we use. Love it. Takes the kids step by step through the driving experience. they can't drive the next level till you say they are ready.

I'm also reading a book called Crash proofing your children/teens? great book I'm going t use his lessons in this too.

My oldest did this program and he is accident free and no tickets. after 4 years of driving.

• 1 month later...

Minnesota also requires a "program" for ages 15-17:

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/DLTraining/HomeSchoolMaterials.pdf

One of the approved courses is also one of your 4: usdrivertraining

It's recommended by MFW, so it's nice to use something that has succeeded for *someone*

The only feedback I got from Minnesotans was one person's thoughts on the books various programs use (and one is required in MN). Here's the feedback I got on the books, for what it's worth:

we used "License to Drive" and they liked it.

My daughter recalls that some of her friends disliked "Drive Right."

Also, several folks said some of the books are at the library.

Julie

We just finished Driversed.com and it seemed to adequately cover what she needed. Although, in Texas, we are required to log 32 hours of classroom instruction and it didn't take anywhere near that long to go through the computer course so we had to fudge the log sheet a little. Some sections that the paperwork said should be studied for 2 hours could easily be done in 30 minutes. It seemed pointless to make her go back through a section several more times just to get the hours in, so if she did well on the section quiz we just moved on and called it done.