Menu

Latin curriculum of choice

purduemeche

We started the Latin Road to English Grammar this year and we like it so far. I have a 7th grader and a 5th grader who have a pretty solid foundation in grammar. It has proven to be very helpful. I have never had any kind of Latin, so I'm just doing it with them! Don't think your 7 yo could do it alone, but it works for us.

I would not choose Rosetta Stone. I would prefer a written, grammar-based approach. Other people prefer an immersion approach, but nonetheless reading as opposed to listening.

For an excellent 7 y.o. reader, I can highly recommend GSWL http://www.gettingstartedwithlatin.com/ (while it can be done independently written, I'd probably do the exercises orally with a child of that age. It's not terribly time consuming). The only trouble with GSWL is what to follow it with. It is real Latin, definitely not fluff, but it is introductory. My dd9-almost-10 is doing Henle, slowly, after having done GSWL, but I think that would be too much for even an 8 y.o.

that's my two cents :)

I decided on Lively Latin. We just started it, but we really like it. I bought the online version. It has audio files for pronunciation, video files to go along with the print out lessons, and online games for reinforcement.

I am doing the first couple of days with the kids to get them introduced and make sure they know how to get around the website, but after that they will be working on their own. DS is 8 and DD is 10.

We're using Cambridge Latin for my 10yo and I'm pretty sure 10 would be the lower limit as far as age. It seems fairly easy but it is a lot of work (including a text book with exercises, a workbook, and online activities), but it doesn't seem hard for my 10 year old (just a lot of work!) We're moving through it more slowly than is recommended, I'm trying to stretch book 1 out a full year when it is a recommended 1 semester course (for 9th graders!)

I think for a 7yo I wold do something like SSL and then GSWL before moving onto something more time-intensive. There are other things a 7 year old could to be focusing on (even other, more modern languages) that would benefit him more at 7 than Latin would. JMHO, FWIW! :)

I decided on Lively Latin. We just started it, but we really like it. I bought the online version. It has audio files for pronunciation, video files to go along with the print out lessons, and online games for reinforcement.

We're now on Lively Latin Big Book 2, and continue to enjoy it - we do only the language portion, skipping over the history.

Dd10 started Lively Latin 1 in the latter half of Gr 3, aged 8. I generally read through the brief grammar segments with her, then let her get on with the rest herself. It's very easy to use.

Okay, this is JMHO, but at 7 years old, the time would be better spent working on grammar skills. Nail those down, and the Latin will be much easier. You could even work on other things which will build up to easing into a program, like the suggestions Angela in Ohio has posted before here.

If you really want to get started in Latin, it might help to spend some time yourself working through a beginning program like Getting Started With Latin. This can be found on Amazon for less than $20, and it's worth it's weight in gold for easing into a difficult subject.

My seven year old is working through Getting Started with Latin this year and he is able to do this (mostly) independently. Because it is broken into such short, managable lessons, it is easy to get done and not be overwhelmed. My nine year old is going through Latin for Children A (with the DVD's, which he loves), but he spends 2 to 3 weeks on each chapter. He needs more time to absorb it all.

I do agree with Annie, that some English grammar is very, very helpful before beginning Latin; it can be frustrating for a child to be learning about nouns/verbs/direct objects etc. in a whole 'nother language when he has no idea what they are in his own language. Many Latin programs do have grammar instruction woven in to them, but if it is all new concepts, this can be a lot to try to process on top of new vocab and verb endings. Being able to associate the Latin grammar back to English grammar has been a huge help to my boys.

Song School Latin is a fun introduction to Latin that does not stress grammar. My oldest went through it last year with his younger brother, and he was not insulted.