Menu

Handwriting for Lefties

rootsnwings

Any particular handwriting programs that are better for Lefties? My ds(3.5) is finally starting to decide which hand he's going to use and it looks like he is going to be left-handed. (He uses his left-hand 90% of the time now for writing and eating). I would love some suggestions for not only programs but also materials like top-bound notebooks of handwriting paper, etc. I've been putting all his ETC pages in page protectors in a binder so he works the pages with the 3 rings at the top so as not to cramp his style! ;) I know writing with the sharpie on slick page protectors is probably not best for him right now though (I can see him struggle to control the marker on the slick surface) so I was looking at the HWT website but they don't say anything about using their system with left-handed children. Just wanted to gather some other's experiences!!

TIA! :D

HWT doesn't have top-bound workbooks, but they do try to cater to left-handers. Here's what they say:

"The HWT workbooks are left-hand friendly. Every page places the models so that left-handed children can easily see the model they are copying. Lefties never have to lift their hands or place them in an awkward position to see a model. We give models on the right so that when a left-handed child’s arm covers the left aligned models, they can still see a model to copy."

My daughter's a leftie and we've been using HWOT. We really have enjoyed it. I was so nervous that I was going to do something to mess her up by not noticing and correcting any improper position, etc. They have nice illustrations for proper grip and that really helped both of us. I'll admit to there being a couple of tears along the way (at the very beginning stages and mostly because she's a perfectionist), but it's been the perfect choice for us!

My lefty has been using HWOT for 3 yrs now and loves it! I wasn't crazy about the look of their writing, especially the cursive, but I decided it was more important for dd to have a program that was geared for lefties. Besides, most people create their own style of writing no matter the style taught.

GREAT!! What age do you suggest starting HWOT? DS is doing the ETC primers right now and there is surprisingly a decent amount of handwriting in them. At first, I was just going to have him skip the handwriting exercises but he INSISTS on doing them, so... I thought about just getting the HWOT chalkboard, chalk pieces, maybe the first workbook and teachers manual?? IDK exactly what to get really but I don't want to overwhelm him with handwriting right now (ETC + HWOT seems a bit much for a 3.5 yo) yet I'd LOVE for him to learn the HWOT way, iykwim... Would love to hear how you integrated the two if you've used them together (Angela, I know you have! :D)

ETA: He's only 3.5!!!! ;)

After using ETC primers, dd knew how to form her letters well enough. We did our own thing until she began cursive. She did very well with Cursive Connections.

I second the suggestion of taking workbooks apart. That has been very helpful. She prefers the loose pages, even though loose pages drive me bonkers!

ETA: The biggest difficulty she has had is using the whiteboard for AAS. When she was younger and wrote slowly, there wasn't a problem. As she started forming her letters and spelling quickly, her hand started smearing the letters before they could dry. I had to switch her to writing her sentences on paper.

We used ETC Before the Code too. My son also insisted on doing them himself. What I did was, have him do a page or two of ETC then one page in HWT, one day. The next day we would do a page or two of ETC then I would have him practice what he did the day before in HWT on the gray block paper. I would usually write one line of the letters and duplicate the ones I thought he needed more practice with and he would work on the row below. I never used the chalkboard or other pieces because he never liked to use those, he only wanted to do paperwork.

My leftie is using HWT K, and will start A reason for Handwriting A when she finishes. She turned 5 in Oct., and her handwriting has improved a ton since the beginning of this school year. My dh is a leftie too, so I have had him demonstrate to her pencil grip etc.

Can anyone tell me if the lefty programs reverse the direction for the lines in letters like t and f? My daughter is just starting to write. I've had her write her crossbars as a pull stroke instead of a push stroke. Is that something that any handwriting curriculum does?

HWOT suggests that lefties reverse those strokes.

That said, my lefty is finishing up first grade, and we have not made great progress with HWOT. We are going to try D'Nealian next as some feel it is easier for lefties. I'm not sure. We'll see. It could be due to my kiddo being a wiggly boy.

Overall, I would still try HWOT. It is a great program, and well set up for lefties.