Menu

I could google this, but answers are always more intereting here

So my question of the day, that I'm sure every one but me knows the answer to, is this: What causes toe, foot, leg, finger cramps? I mostly never get leg cramps - maybe once or twice a year. The toe and finger cramps are a daily, sometimes multiple times a day, occurrence.

Thanks for any and all help.

Usually cramps are caused by a lack of potassium or magnesium. I find that if I keep up with stretches, I don't get the leg cramps but can still get the hand and foot cramps if I forget my vitamins or do more than usual.

I think lots of things can cause them, muscle fatigue, dehydration, poor circulation, and low potassium being some.

I agree. I have my kids take a magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement daily. If they get leg or foot cramps I have them drink a glass of water and eat a banana (high in potassium, easy to eat).

As soon as you get it all nailed down, please let the rest of the running world know! It seems that no one can decide just what exactly causes muscle cramping. I googled. ;) When I ran my first marathon in October last year, I had foot cramps from mile 12 all the way through 26.2. I hadn't EVER had a cramp during all my training...not one! When I researched it after the race I came up with a looooooooong list of *possible* causes but not anything definitive.

I have horrible toe cramps. They make me scream in pain. You can actually see the toe cramp up. It is so gross looking. I guess I need to start taking vitamins. Thank goodness they don't happen often.

I do as well - it's actually the reason that I don't swim anymore.. they almost always happen in the pool (and other places, but the pool is a near guarantee). I also can't let my feet get cold - if they get soaked through slushy weather or such, it'll happen. I can't walk around bare foot - same thing. I wear 2 or 3 pairs of socks at a time, year-round. Very few kinds of footwear.

Usually cramps are caused by a lack of potassium or magnesium. I find that if I keep up with stretches, I don't get the leg cramps but can still get the hand and foot cramps if I forget my vitamins or do more than usual.

:iagree:

I think lots of things can cause them, muscle fatigue, dehydration, poor circulation, and low potassium being some.

Yes, this too.

Yes, it is mostly magnesium. More info on that, and the right type of magnesium below.

Also read this:

May be caused by:

• eating too much protein

• having a potassium deficiency

• taking a diuretic

• too much demand being placed on one muscle group in the foot. Wearing any heel height (even flats) for too long can cause problems. Vary your heel heights, daily, if possible.

• Dehydration – more fluids – drink at least 6 glasses of water a day (probably more)

• More potassium – bananas, most fruit, legumes, avocados

• Stretch legs for a few minutes before bedtime

For most people on a healthy diet, 400 mg of Magnesium daily should be sufficient. But for those who have symptoms of deficiency (and many of us do), I would recommend more, but probably no more than 1200 mg. Add in more magnesium gradually. Your body knows how much it can handle according to how much your bowels can tolerate. The stools should feel soft, but not excessively loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

I have read that it’s preferable to not take magnesium at the same time as calcium. Others say that it’s fine. This is where I am confused. I think the former makes more sense.

The most absorbable forms are:

Magnesium Citrate

Magnesium Glycinate

Magnesium Taurate

Magnesium Aspartate

Magnesium Malate

Magnesium Succinate

Magnesium Fumirate

Avoid:

Magnesium Oxide

Magnesium Carbonate

Magnesium Gluconate

Magnesium Sulfate

These are not absorbed well and are the cheapest forms

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to Magnesium Glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

NATURAL SOURCES

Almonds

Avocado

Barley

Beans

Brazil nuts

Brown rice

Buckwheat

Dark Chocolate

Dates

Figs

Garlic

Greens (including Collard Greens and Dandelion Greens)

Kelp

Molasses

Millet

Parsley

Pecans

Rye

Sea vegetables (seaweed and kelp – but make sure they come from non-polluted waters and are high-quality)

Shrimp

Walnuts

Whole Grains

Wheat bran

Wheat germ

Potassium - Potassium is required for water balance in the body and the correct function of cells, and is used in cancer therapy.

Sometimes muscles hurt because they don’t contain enough potassium. One of magnesium’s many important functions is to maintain a sodium and potassium balance. If your muscles lack potassium, taking more magnesium can raise your level better than taking more potassium. If you need both, try a potassium-magnesium aspartate combination. Aspartic acid carries both potassium and magnesium into the cells more quickly and efficiently.

Potassium tends to balance your blood pressure

Potassium will also establish a natural diuretic effect to help clear salt out of your body. In an 8-week study, 70 per cent got a reduction from potassium.

Overall, however, it is usually advised to only take supplemental potassium if your health care practitioner advises it. It’s far better to take a dietary approach.

CAUTION: If you have kidney problems, check w/your doctor before significantly increasing your potassium or before taking potassium supplements.