Menu

Pentime handwriting

KeriJ

I am. :hurray: It runs from 1st grade through 8th grade. Cursive begins in 2nd grade. Grades 3 and up work on cursive handwriting, but include a touch of manuscript practice. In the 8th grade, the manuscript practice turns into an intro course in calligraphy. My 8th grader has discovered he enjoys calligraphy. :001_smile: The cursive is the traditional style that my dh and I prefer, and the children's handwriting has improved since we began using Pentime. I've always thought that ending penmanship practice in the 3rd grade was too early. So when I ran across the program in Rainbow Resource while looking for a penmanship program for my upcoming 1st grader, I went ahead and ordered a book for each child, especially as dh had been complaining about their cursive. I've been thrilled with the result.

We have used it for years. LOVE IT! The cost is soooo low, but the quality is soooo high. I love the way it has themes that teach about states or nature etc... I also love that it isn't loaded with obnoxious cartoons all over the place but rather realistic drawings. Well I guess the younger levels have cartoons, but they are tasteful.

• 1 year later...

I adore Spalding handwriting, but my students don't. They want an open and go curriculum, rather than to be instructed by me. They want extensive models of the font, with WRITTEN instructions by a professional, and they want to decide for themselves what is good enough.

Hey...this is all easier on me. I'm gladly handing this over to them, if they want to do it the hard way :-0

Now I just need to decide between Pentime and Cursive First. My software has both fonts on it. I've started using McGuffey's and there are free docs for all the books. It is so simple to make copywork of the vocabularies and controlled word lessons.

I adore Spalding handwriting, but my students don't. They want an open and go curriculum, rather than to be instructed by me. They want extensive models of the font, with WRITTEN instructions by a professional, and they want to decide for themselves what is good enough.

Hey...this is all easier on me. I'm gladly handing this over to them, if they want to do it the hard way :-0

Now I just need to decide between Pentime and Cursive First. My software has both fonts on it. I've started using McGuffey's and there are free docs for all the books. It is so simple to make copywork of the vocabularies and controlled word lessons.

I agree about Spalding. The instructions are awesome.

However, the Pentime letters are very traditional and simple. I haven't seen cursive first.

I cannot wait for my McGuffey curriculum to get here. Then I'll decide if I want to invest in the CD. Can you copy and paste passages from the CD into Word so you can use the educational fontware? Is it truly that easy?

I agree about Spalding. The instructions are awesome.

However, the Pentime letters are very traditional and simple. I haven't seen cursive first.

I cannot wait for my McGuffey curriculum to get here. Then I'll decide if I want to invest in the CD. Can you copy and paste passages from the CD into Word so you can use the educational fontware? Is it truly that easy?

I'm finding the Gutenburg Docs to be the best to copy and paste into Pages (Macs version of Word). Try for yourself. They are free :-)

The CD is better for printing and is the only way I could get the word list. Hardcopy books are nice and I eventually want to get them all, but the CD lets me see the complete curriculum, and lets me print out single pages, and gives me all the supplements.

Oh, and Cursive First is similar to Spalding, but not quite there. It's more like Pentime than Spalding is when it comes to the "v" and "y" especially, and the "b", "v" and "w" don't come back around to 12 o' clock. The capital "L" is more like Pentime than Spalding.

We use it and are happy. Well... I'm happy. My girls handwriting is looking really good. The trite moralistic sayings at the bottom of the page (4th grade) are a constant source of amusement for my older daughter. She also enjoys changing the texts as she writes. I have yet to find a handwriting program for goofy 10 yr olds.