Menu

xpost- Question about ds6 and math

I posted this over on the curriculum board and somebody suggested I ask over here.

Ok so ds6 has a few issues that we are going through the steps to figure all out (tourettes and some sort of sensory processing disorder that we know of for sure). He completely knocked me over today. During the eval he was shown a picture of 3 apples and 2 jars of apple sauce. The question was "if 3 apples makes 2 jars of apple sauce, how many jars of apple sauce does 9 apples make?" He thought for a minute then answered 6. The guy doing the eval looked very puzzled and thought ds guessed correctly do he did 3 more that were similar. He got them all correct.

Then he was shown a big square. The guy doing the eval asked how many lines it would take to evenly divide the big square into 9 smaller squares. Ds said 4 after looking at it for a minute. Again the guy doing the eval gave ds a :001_huh: look. Then he did it asking different numbers and ds did it correctly. THEN the guy doing the eval asked ds how many lines it would take to divide a big triangle into 4 smaller triangles. This took ds a little longer (not long though) and told him 3.

I have NEVER taught ds anything like this. I have never had a child do anything like this. What do I do to encourage this. What math program do I put ds in to build on this. Help, Im lost. The guy doing the eval was completely stunned (also somebody who is completely against homeschooling- take that LOL :lol:) So anyways. I need recommendations. What do I do to help him flourish? Im lost. My dds are good, but never had anything natural like this. To be honest Im a bit intimidated. Is this normal at this age? Maybe I just never had the chance to see dd's do anything like this? Any thoughts? Suggestions for me? Thanks

I would try a lot of different things and see what really lights him up. I think a lot of kids like this almost crave certain kinds of intellectual stimulation. When you hit upon the right thing for them, they totally light up and don't want to stop. You should know when you've found the right curriculum/activity for him.

It sounds like his spatial abilities are advanced. Does he enjoy building toys, maps, puzzles, etc.? Something dealing with pattern recognition, such as the game SET, might be a good fit. Some of the Critical Thinking Co materials might work well. For math curriculum, I think Singapore is really excellent--both for children who intuitively know math and those who have strong abilities but don't find it intuitive. (My son is in the later category, and I think Singapore is teaching him to think mathematically.)

Just some ideas . . . I'll be curious what others recommend.

He might really enjoy the logic/problem solving games like Rush Hour and Chocolate Fix. My DD loves these. And right now, Chick-Fil-A has limited versions, with a few puzzles, in their kids meals, so if you go to the restaurant and ask, you may be able to buy them for $1 or so each to try them out. (There are also online ones).

For math, I'd suggest Singapore, with the IP/CWP, and MEP. Both have higher level thinking/problem solving and some really puzzle-y elements that appeal to kids who eat that kind of thing up.

I would try a lot of different things and see what really lights him up. I think a lot of kids like this almost crave certain kinds of intellectual stimulation. When you hit upon the right thing for them, they totally light up and don't want to stop. You should know when you've found the right curriculum/activity for him.

It sounds like his spatial abilities are advanced. Does he enjoy building toys, maps, puzzles, etc.? Something dealing with pattern recognition, such as the game SET, might be a good fit. Some of the Critical Thinking Co materials might work well. For math curriculum, I think Singapore is really excellent--both for children who intuitively know math and those who have strong abilities but don't find it intuitive. (My son is in the later category, and I think Singapore is teaching him to think mathematically.)

Just some ideas . . . I'll be curious what others recommend.

I will look into those for sure. I looked at the game Set and that looks really interesting! I think I am going to get that for him! I am going to look into the Critical Thinking Co stuff to! He wanted nothing to do with school until January. Then its like a switch turn in him and now he doesn't want to stop. Thanks for the advice! I need to work harder to keep him challenged I think... My challenge is on LOL

He might really enjoy the logic/problem solving games like Rush Hour and Chocolate Fix. My DD loves these. And right now, Chick-Fil-A has limited versions, with a few puzzles, in their kids meals, so if you go to the restaurant and ask, you may be able to buy them for $1 or so each to try them out. (There are also online ones).

For math, I'd suggest Singapore, with the IP/CWP, and MEP. Both have higher level thinking/problem solving and some really puzzle-y elements that appeal to kids who eat that kind of thing up.

He is doing Horizons math and did the first 22 lessons in like a week or so. We have Math U see- at first he liked it now hes really bored with it. I printed off MEP 1a and he seems to like that so I think we will continue with that for now along with Horizons. I have Singapore CWP books 2-6.. I really need to find the first edition book 1. I might also get singapore PM for him also... or should I do standards? What would you recommend? We did singapore with dd3rd for 1st and 2nd then she decided she wanted something more colorful so we switched to Horizons. I might go back to Singapore with him though...... Does Standards have a different HIG than Primary Math?

Singapore PM Standards edition has a very different style than the U.S. edition. It's in full-color and rather "cartoony" looking rather than the visually clean look of the U.S. edition. You can guess my personal preference ;) but the SE HIG is so much better IMHO that I decided to switch.

Check out this post:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241236&highlight=Singapore+HIG

Post #10 gives a link to the question I asked Jenny from Singapore Math about the HIG difference between versions.

We use Standards textbook, workbook, CWP and IP. When my big girl gets older, I plan on dropping the workbook and use the IP book instead (thanks WTM for that idea!).

Look up math games and puzzles at the library. Find some books for him with puzzles in them. Look for math circles and see if there are any in your area. Contact the closest ones even if they circle isn't for his age and see if they have any recommendations. Math Salons for gatherings for mathy kids to play games and puzzles together.

Blokus and Blokus Trigon both work on spatial concepts and strategy. Set is awesome.

He is doing Horizons math and did the first 22 lessons in like a week or so. We have Math U see- at first he liked it now hes really bored with it. I printed off MEP 1a and he seems to like that so I think we will continue with that for now along with Horizons. I have Singapore CWP books 2-6.. I really need to find the first edition book 1. I might also get singapore PM for him also... or should I do standards? What would you recommend? We did singapore with dd3rd for 1st and 2nd then she decided she wanted something more colorful so we switched to Horizons. I might go back to Singapore with him though...... Does Standards have a different HIG than Primary Math?

You could do MEP and then add CWP when you get to the right point, although you will end up teaching new ways to solve things if your ds wants to solve the problems that way. Or you could do both SM & MEP. We did that combination one summer for ds and it was very successful, and I plan to go back to that this month since I already have the first part of MEP 6 printed.

I haven't used Standards SM, so can't answer that question; it wasn't out yet when we first bought SM.