Menu

ds called "hostile" by preschool teacher

As someone who has worked with kids for over ten years......that woman is not in a good place to be running a preschool. I'd find another one for my son.

Sometimes preschool teachers are overwhelmed, exhausted, have something going on in another part of their lives......whatever it is, it's affecting her attitude at work. A three year old might be all kinds of things, but hostile isn't one of them.

It sounds to me like she's past her limit and is expressing inappropriate anger toward a child. Maybe give her another week or two to see if she gets better - she could have just had an awful day - but then pull your son out if nothing changes.

My DD goes to Pre-K 3 days a week. She is 4.5 and still doesn't share perfectly -most kids that age don't. However the teachers at her school understand this - if they commented at all they would simply say - she is having trouble sharing but then quickly reassure me it was age appropriate and they were encouraging her to suceed and then explain how they were doing it.

To call a child "hostile" at 3 yo for not sharing - to me they have a negative view towards your child by labelling him - I would never leave my young child somewhere where an adult felt negative towards him.

I would ask questions and define exactly what she meant my the word and exactly what your son did to have her judge him this way - and if she still kept using the word to define age appropriate behaviour I would pull him immediately and just wait for a place at the other school.

Honestly - the fact that your son asked the teacher for help and didn't just snatch it from the other child I would say your child was actually non-hostile and had very mature social skills for his age. My 4yo is only now just starting to ask for help rather then just wrenching things from another child.

The teachers at my DD's kindy are always using positive words to describe the kids there - even some of the more "difficult" ones. They are always very encouraging and assuring that the behaviour can be changed and they willing work with it. Calling a child hostile and then not making an effort to discuss it properly with you- equals red flag to me.