Menu

A small thought about nameless bag ladies.

I've met my share, and today, saying goodbye to one, I realized that for persons who is so paranoid they won't tell you their name, won't accept your food or clothes, they are really depending on the benignity of people a lot more than those of us who move about in cars, park in well-lit areas, live in locked houses, and eat fresh food that has been refrigerated appropriately.

I've met my share, and today, saying goodbye to one, I realized that for persons who is so paranoid they won't tell you their name, won't accept your food or clothes, they are really depending on the benignity of people a lot more than those of us who move about in cars, park in well-lit areas, live in locked houses, and eat fresh food that has been refrigerated appropriately.

:grouphug:

It's stories like this that i think of when someone says, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

I disagree.

I think, "What doesn't kill some people hurts them so badly they live in a carboard box under a bridge."

:(

:grouphug:

It's stories like this that i think of when someone says, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

I disagree.

I think, "What doesn't kill some people hurts them so badly they live in a carboard box under a bridge."

:(

:iagree:

I remember as a student in London, seeing so many - too many - homeless people, men and women, who literally did live in a cardboard box under a bridge. Waterloo Bridge, if I remember correctly. It is tragic. Some will accept help, others won't. And the same thing in Moscow - gypsies, mainly, almost nekkid and begging near Gorky Park. The memory that still makes me well up is the one of a young woman - possibly a teenager still - with a baby. I gave her a bit of money - I didn't have much on me - and her gratitude was almost embarrassing. And I couldn't even understand what she was saying. :crying:

I'm currently reading the book, The Memory Palace, a memoir by Mira Bartok. It is a poignant look at the ravages of mental illness on both the patient and his/her family. Here's a description:

Bartók’s mother, Norma Herr, was a pianist who suffered from schizophrenia and was homeless for much of her life. When Bartók was a child, her unpredictable mother tried to jump out of a second-floor window. After enduring years of painful uncertainty, Bartók and her sister made the difficult decision to cut off all ties to their mother, with only a post office address as a tenuous connection. They changed their names, too, and had unpublished telephone numbers and addresses. Only after Bartók suffered a debilitating brain injury in an automobile accident and discovered her mother’s stored artifacts were she and her mother able to re-connect.

http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Palace-Mira-Bartok/dp/1439183317/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299249439&sr=8-1