Menu

s.o Of Would you feed your kids this... making chili

I've had to resort to making it pretty much totally from scratch due to food allergies. Here's my recipe (although I'm not one to measure things)

I'll make a pot FULL of pinto beans cooked with lots of cumin, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, salt, and onion powder.

Then, I'll brown ground beef with a large diced onion, drain. To this I start dumping....beans, can of diced chilis, diced tomatoes (rotel with chilis if I have it), tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, more chili powder and chipotle powder, paprika, a pinch of sugar, and salt to taste. If you want it hotter, add red pepper or diced jalapenos. Simmer for at least 30 minutes. The amounts of everything vary according to how much chili I'm making. Then I freeze the leftovers.

1 large can of crushed tomatoes ( will add some tomato juice if we want it thinner)

1 lb ground beef

2 cans kidney beans (or sometimes I cook the kidney beans myself)

1 small onion

I season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and smoked paprika. I don't season too much since my kids don't like spicy food.

I don't have an exact recipe. I just add things until it tastes right.

I usually use dried beans that have been soaked over night, but for a last minute pot of chili I use canned beans.

I brown ground beef, drain the fat, add one chopped onion and one chopped green pepper.

After allowing the vegetables to cook a bit I add water, tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes and chopped garlic.

Last in is the chili powder, cayenne and cumin.

It simmers for about 30 minutes (longer if I've used dried beans).

We garnish with chopped onion, shredded cheese and sour cream.

This is the recipe I use, although instead of serving it over rice, I usually serve cornbread on the side.

Twenty-Minute Chili

Try a Texas take on this cool-weather comfort food by serving it over rice with warm corn bread sticks on the side.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups chili, 1/2 cup rice, and 1 tablespoon cheese)

1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 cup chopped onion

3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2 pound ground turkey breast

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeño peppers and spices, undrained

1 (5.5-ounce) can tomato juice

1/4 cup (1 ounce) preshredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and turkey, and cook 3 minutes or until done, stirring to crumble. Stir in chili powder and the next 8 ingredients (chili powder through tomato juice); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve over rice, and sprinkle with cheese.

CALORIES 380 (26% from fat); FAT 10.5g (sat 2.8g,mono 2.6g,poly 3.3g); IRON 4mg; CHOLESTEROL 50mg; CALCIUM 125mg; CARBOHYDRATE 51g; SODIUM 739mg; PROTEIN 21.4g; FIBER 11.2g

Cooking Light, MARCH 2004

I don't have an exact recipe. I just add things until it tastes right.

I usually use dried beans that have been soaked over night, but for a last minute pot of chili I use canned beans.

I brown ground beef, drain the fat, add one chopped onion and one chopped green pepper.

After allowing the vegetables to cook a bit I add water, tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes and chopped garlic.

Last in is the chili powder, cayenne and cumin.

It simmers for about 30 minutes (longer if I've used dried beans).

We garnish with chopped onion, shredded cheese and sour cream.

This sounds a lot like my chili, though I use home canned tomatos and no tomato paste. Usually. And sometimes I add extra veggies, depending on what I have on hand.

I make my spaghetti the same way. Ds says it is never the same twice. :tongue_smilie:

My dh loves canned chili. :glare:

I can't stand the thought of canned chili, so I set out to find a recipe that would turn out like canned rather than homemade. I'll post it just in case that's what someone else wants too.

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef

3 T dried onions

6 oz. tomato paste

4 c. water

1/4 c. chili powder

2 T vinegar

1 T salt

1 t sugar

1/4 t garlic powder

1/4 t pepper

dash of cumin

dash of cayenne

2 c. water

1/2 c flour

1/4 c cornstarch

Canned or homemade pinto or red beans (to personal preference)

Brown the ground beef with the dried onions. Add other ingredients on the first list. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, whisk together 2 c. water with flour and cornstarch. Bring chili to light boil, then stir in water/flour/cornstarch mixture. Stir & boil chili until thick, then add drained beans and simmer until heated through.