Menu

Toddlers escaping the crib?

Someone I know has twin toddler sons who have learned how to get out of their crib. :001_huh: My dh and I just moved our children onto futon beds (close to the floor) when the crib became dangerous. Are there any other solutions? How do you handle it when your child learns to escape the crib? :confused:

My oldest escaped when he was...11mos, I think. Mil was babysitting, & he got out of his crib & came down the steep staircase, & said, "Hello, Granny." :svengo:

He didn't stay in a bed for...um...the next 2 years? But we were new parents. I thought a kid had to nap or the world would end.

#4 never did figure out how to get out of his crib, & he's by FAR the biggest of them all. #3 got bumped before she had a chance to climb out because #4 needed the crib.

And #2? #1 couldn't convince her to free fall over the side into pillows like he'd done, so he engineered an escape plan for her, ala Tetris. "See, if you climb on to this, and then this, and then this..." It went around the whole perimeter of the room & was ridiculously dangerous, esp if you walked in at the right moment to see the fear on her face as she reluctantly followed him. :lol: She got his bed, & he got moved up.

But yeah, I think you just move them somewhere safer. #4 is on a mattress on the floor right now--has been for 6mos--& just recently figured out that he could get out of *that.* :lol: He's an awesome kid! :D

My twins who are now two started climbing out of their cribs when they were about 16 months old. I have had crib tents on their cribs ever since. I have had to replace one of them once. The cheapest place I found them was on Amazon. They have truly been a lifesaver for us!!!

We also got a crib tent, but after I while it annoyed me, so I just moved her to a bed. It took around 2 weeks for her to understand that she is not allowed to get out of bed. We still find her sleeping on the floor sometimes - 2 years later.

Thanks, everyone! I've sent the information on. :001_smile:

I must admit that I'm flabbergasted at the notion of 9 or 11 month old babies making their escape. :svengo:

It is loads of fun when they start *walking* at nine months. All sorts of things open up in their world. :blink::scared:

I am very relieved to be done with that part of our lives! :D

How do you handle it when your child learns to escape the crib? :confused:

We either had a chair or box next to the bed so they could climb out safely.

And we keep their door closed so they can't go around creating mischief while we're sleeping!

Rosie