Menu

Flying with LOTS of medication---what is the best way to do this?

My 14dd was granted a Make a Wish trip to Disney and we leave Saturday morning at 4am.

What is stressing me out the most is the medication stuff.

She has 13 medications along with a nebulizer.

Dd 14 has 13 medications as well.

Dh has 12 medications along with his blood sugar meter and a c-pap.

I guess my 2 major options are:

1. Carry ALL meds in the original containers/prescription bottles on the plane in my carry on.

2. Carry 2 days worth of meds in the prescription bottles with me in the carry on and then put the rest in the checked suitcase where I could have them all presorted into containers for the entire week.

What is the easiest way to get through security with 38 medications, a nebulizer, a c-pap, diabetes supplies AND my sanity?

First off - carry everything on board with you. What a hassle it would be if checked baggage was lost or misrouted - plus baggage holds are not pressurized/heated - you want to make sure you get where you are going with everything you need.

Contact the airline and note that you are flying with medically fragile kids with lots of meds and ask them what to do beyond having everything in its original containers.

You might ask the Make a Wish folks, too - they may well have the inside scoop on how to handle mega-meds by now!

Enjoy the trip, btw!!!

then put the rest in the checked suitcase where I could have them all presorted into containers for the entire week.

I don't think I'd do this - not just because of the risk of something getting lost, but also because it might get the attention of security having random "unidentified" pills in your luggage.

I'd take everything in a carry on or two... original containers, properly labeled with names matching IDs, maybe a doc's letter if needed?

Did you talk to the airline? Or like the above poster said, ask a Make-a-wish contact - I'd imagine they're familiar with this sort of thing?

I would call the airline and explain your situation. Sometimes a note from your doctor is all that is necessary.

How wonderful and exciting for your dd! We are leaving for WDW on Saturday as well. I love going there with my family...we always have so much fun. Hope your trip is fun and stress-free with lots of terrific memories!

Carry it on and allow lots of time to go through security. We have not had any problems with dd's medications, but they will take it aside and swab it for explosives/chemicals/whatever-it-is-they-swab-for. I know it's stressful, but we have always had polite, respectful, even helpful security people. Hope it all goes well for you.

Would a list of the prescriptions signed by our doctor work? I can't imagine asking her to write out 38 prescriptions at our appointment today. It would take FOREVER. I do have all of the meds in the original bottles with name, pharmacy, etc. on them.

Would a list of the prescriptions signed by our doctor work? I can't imagine asking her to write out 38 prescriptions at our appointment today. It would take FOREVER. I do have all of the meds in the original bottles with name, pharmacy, etc. on them.

I would ask since they may be computer generated and it is a good idea to have the prescriptions in case you lose the meds. Carry the prescriptions in a separate carry on bag or money belt IMHO.