Menu

Quick! I need book suggestions for a talk tonight!

I am giving a talk this evening on homeschooling as part of a workshop on educational options. This is for a local parenting group. I got the talk down to my allotted 10 minutes (very difficult task!) I am putting together a resource list and I just realized that my favorites are no longer available from our public library (I guess they were just too old.) This is a secular crowd. Any suggestions of newer books for people just starting out or just investigating homeschooling that would appeal to a secular audience?

I think that Homeschooling for Success by the ladies who run Homeschool.com is great for anyone interested in home education. (I'm not actually crazy about their site at ALL, but the book is good!)

They just came out with another one, too, that looks good and both of these (I'm pretty sure) are not written from a religious viewpoint: http://www.homeschool.com/hli/default.asp#ticker

Well-Trained Mind (of course)

Homeschooling for Success by Rebecca Kochenderfer

What the Rest of Us Can Learn from Homeschooling by Linda Dobson -- it isn't for homeschooling parents, but explains how ps parents can get the edge that homeschooled families have in education. It's a really interesting read and puts homeschooling in a very positive light without denigrating public school.

The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling by Rachel Gathercole (to address that pesky 's' word)

As a secular parent, I find Cathy Duffy's book off-putting. It does have good reviews, but I found it heavily Christian. YMMV, though.

Edited by Audrey

Home Learning Year By Year is a good one....

Well-Trained Mind (of course)

Homeschooling for Success by Rebecca Kochenderfer

I'd suggest Cathy Duffy's Top Picks, even though it's a bit old now. It's still very valuable information. I was told by a veteran homeschooler to not invest a penny in curriculum until I read this book. So glad I took that advice!

:iagree:These are my go-to book suggestions.

some of my favorites:

The Well Adjusted Child by Rachel Gathercole

- addresses the big S. Well documented, though the research is about 10 yrs old now.

Homeschooling: A Family's Journey by Gregory and Martine Millman

Well written and compelling. They are moderate Catholics in NJ; very intellectual. She's Chinese. They began HS because of financially conservative house purchase had them in a neighborhood with poor schools and then they fell in love with HS for the educational and relational benefits.

Ruth Beechick for basics and common sense, you can do this, how-to.

I am giving a talk this evening on homeschooling as part of a workshop on educational options. This is for a local parenting group. I got the talk down to my allotted 10 minutes (very difficult task!) I am putting together a resource list and I just realized that my favorites are no longer available from our public library (I guess they were just too old.) This is a secular crowd. Any suggestions of newer books for people just starting out or just investigating homeschooling that would appeal to a secular audience?

This is my standard suggestion as a starting point