Menu

Is All About Spelling really the best in spelling?

mrshomework

However, IMO, AAS is not avoiding this problem completely. Unlike some other programs, it often has the children attempting to spell words "blindly" without seeing them first. This is easy to modify as a parent, if you feel the child needs to have the visual model before trying it himself. This is one minor thing I dislike about the program, though.

You'll find in the higher levels that kids will study the word cards first in many steps--but this is AFTER they have learned all of the skills that AAS has taught, and they are now deciding WHICH strategies to apply to a word. Programs that always show the words first don't develop all of the strategies that kids need either--some kids rely overly on visual strategies without ever thinking through how a word is spelled or learning other strategies that help with many words. But AAS does incorporate visual strategies earlier on with the word banks. And for those kids who need it, they can spell the words with tiles first so that they can see a good visual before writing the word. HTH some!

Personally, I do think people who are affiliates should say so on their posts.

I'm wondering if there is a conflict of interests here - since the board rules explicitly state that advertising is not permitted?

(I'm not opposed to the author marketing her products by word of mouth, or to the idea that home schooling parents can earn a commission by telling others about products that they love - just trying to think this through . . .)

I'm wondering if there is a conflict of interests here - since the board rules explicitly state that advertising is not permitted?

(I'm not opposed to the author marketing her products by word of mouth, or to the idea that home schooling parents can earn a commission by telling others about products that they love - just trying to think this through . . .)

I'd be interested in how the board rules apply to this issue-15% of AAS purchases seems like a vested interest. It seems like it's ok for affiliates to answer direct questions as per the board rules.

from the FAQ:

No advertising

If you are the publisher or author of home schooling (or other) materials, or have a financial interest in a particular program, you may answer direct questions about those materials but don't use a general query ("What science/language arts/history materials should I use?") as a chance to promote your product. When these questions are posed, we hope that parents will hear from other parents not from those who may have a vested interest in the use of a particular program.

Edited by Jen3boys

AAS is, in my opinion, the best spelling program available if your student needs intensive work in spelling. I have one kid that uses AAS because she absolutely, 100% needs that intensive work with spelling, the one-on-one teaching, and all the extra helps. I have another one that uses a workbook approach to spelling (Spelling Workout) because that's all he needs.

Kiddo is only a slightly above moderate natural speller and AAS bored us to tears. Too much of the same kind of word in each drill.

We are doing SWO, but when I finally consume the last one I have (D) I'm giving SWS a go.