Menu

s/o conference, how about a virtual one?

I did my own personal conference last year. Two days of focused attention on my own academic agenda. It was a blast, I'd like to do it again and add more downloads.

What are your favorite downloads from conferences? Or not from conferences?

I've listened to SWB's lectures and love those, what about others?

Maybe we could link our favorites so we could see what available online without having to attend a conference.

Great Idea! I have done similar things over the summer. I call it my "Teacher Training Seminar."

I usually spend that time re-researching curricula, I buy a new homeschool How-to book and I find some stuff in MP3 format to listen to during swim practice. One year I bought a set of Veritas Press Teacher Training CDs from Word MP3. That was money very well spent! I listen to these often. Love them! Anything by Andrew Pudewa is really good too.

A few times I bought the session tapes from our state's convention, which is very Gothardesque, but still had some great academic programs. I wouldn't want to spend the weekend there....but it was nice to hear the workshops that interested me. I am pretty sure the tapes from the Great Homeschool Convention will become available (yes?).

So, I am all :bigear:'s....I am setting up my list too.

Faithe

Well I'm a huge fan of the work of Andrew Kern at the Circe Institute. I've had the opportunity to attend two conferences and I own almost all of the CDs from the past 8 (?) years of conferences. My favorite talks are not "homeschool" specific necessarily, they're more broadly about literature, the liberal arts, goodness, truth, beauty, order, knowledge, the nature of a child, freedom...rich, wonderful ideas. The speakers are all approaching education from a distinctly Christian perspective, but they come from a variety of traditions--Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Presbyterian....

My favorite speakers are Andrew Kern, John Hodges, James Daniels, Ken Myers (of Mars Hill Audio), Gene Veith, Vigen Guroian, probably a few I'm just not thinking of right now. Andrew Pudewa has some talks available through Circe as well.

http://www.circeinstitute.org

Well I'm a huge fan of the work of Andrew Kern at the Circe Institute. I've had the opportunity to attend two conferences and I own almost all of the CDs from the past 8 (?) years of conferences. My favorite talks are not "homeschool" specific necessarily, they're more broadly about literature, the liberal arts, goodness, truth, beauty, order, knowledge, the nature of a child, freedom...rich, wonderful ideas. The speakers are all approaching education from a distinctly Christian perspective, but they come from a variety of traditions--Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Presbyterian....

My favorite speakers are Andrew Kern, John Hodges, James Daniels, Ken Myers (of Mars Hill Audio), Gene Veith, Vigen Guroian, probably a few I'm just not thinking of right now. Andrew Pudewa has some talks available through Circe as well.

www.circeinstitute.org

Jami, I have the last two years' worth of CiRCE CDs and am totally jealous that you have 8 years' worth. Maybe some day.

CiRCE's $24 sets (under Specials and Sales in their store) and $6 CDs (particularly Vigen Guroian's "Mentor" talk! and Kern's Contemplation of Nature talk).

Wordmp3.com has some free talks from prior ACCS conferences. There are some from Ken Myers and maybe some of the ones in Jami's list. They also have talks from teachers in Classical Christian Ed schools that are great. Sometimes free is good.

This sounds great.

A parenting books by Linda Eyre I read a while ago describes the writer's (the mother of 9 or 11 children) annual sabatical. She'd take to a hotel for a couple of days with some notebooks and spend her time thinking about and writing about each of her children and his/her needs for the coming year. She described plotting her goals for each, and special things she wanted to do with each child. I thought the idea was lovely (and not only the thought of sleeping along in a kingsized bed, roomservice and the hotel pool). I'm not sure which of her books this was in, but it might have been this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Joyful-Mother-Children-Mayhem-Motherhood/dp/1573457949/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_10

But back to the virtual conference, I'm in!

Of course this takes money, but

I did my own personal conference last year. Two days of focused attention on my own academic agenda. It was a blast, I'd like to do it again and add more downloads.

What are your favorite downloads from conferences? Or not from conferences?

I've listened to SWB's lectures and love those, what about others?

Maybe we could link our favorites so we could see what available online without having to attend a conference.

I found some free audios and articles on the Memoria Press website.

Listen to the following speeches on Classical education

•What Is Classical Education? by Martin Cothran

•How to Teach Logic by Martin Cothran

•How to Teach Latin by Cheryl Lowe

•A Classical Kindergarten by Cheryl Lowe

•A Classical View of Grammar by Andrew Pudewa

•How to Teach New American Cursive by Denette Holmes

•Training Young (and Old!) Brains to Retain: Learning That Lasts by Dawn Boston

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)