Menu

Need suggestions on how to get my oldest up to speed in math

My ds does not struggle in math unless there are words thrown in, because he has a language processing problem. But as far as actual MATH goes, he's fine. However, due to MUS, he is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY behind where he should be.

Because of all the things he has NOT covered in MUS (he almost completed Zeta), it will take him till about 2013 to complete MM 6B, doing math everyday, even in the summer.

Considering that he is starting 9th grade next year, this has me just a SMIDGE panicked!

I have Thinkwell Pre-Algebra purchased and ready to go whenever he is ready to start. The kicker is getting him to that point. I know I cannot RUSH him and that it's important that he fully comprehend the foundational concepts. However, is there a way for me to know what might be able to be skipped in MM so I can just hit the stuff he HAS to learn prior to starting Pre-Algebra?

I'm also willing to switch curriculums entirely at this point, even though I *really* like MM. It will just take him SO long to get through it unless we double the pace, and he might revolt on me if I did that.

I'm not super thrilled about Teaching Textbooks, but I was even looking at it last night. He could easily place into TT Pre-Algebra, but I know that's really more like 6th-7th grade math. But might that help him get to where he needs to go a bit faster???

Should I maybe have him take the placement tests for several different curriculums (that I wouldn't mind him actually using LOL) and see which one places him highest?

I'm just SICK that I'm having to play catch-up so badly after MUS that the furthest he'll get is Algebra 2 in high school, if that.:glare::glare::glare:

:grouphug:

I would pick a mastery program like MM or Singapore. I would have him try to do the first few and last few problems of each type in each section. If he is fine, skip that section and move on. If not, do that section until he is fine and then move on.

I do a similar thing with phonics for my remedial students, it's part of the reason I like Blend Phonics for review, it's set up nicely. They read and spell a few words of each type from each unit. Units they're good with, we move on. Units they have trouble with, we do the whole thing. If they really have trouble with something, I'll do extra work from other books and/or my phonics concentration game, just using the sounds that they are having trouble with and one or two random others to mix in for variety.

I switched from MUS to Singapore with my daughter about halfway through 1st grade. We started back a bit, and I did the same thing.

Thanks, Liz. (Oh hey - got your package by the way! Thanks!)

I've got him in MM right now. That's a good idea about different problems in the sections. I'll see if that might be doable - it's sort of arranged funny. I know he can test out of some chapters completely, but even taking that into account it will be forever and a day.

I may also have him do more pages a day. Currently I have him doing 2-3, but perhaps he needs to do more. I HAD told him that since he's choosing to not stay back for 9th grade (I had offered that to him, so he can get up to speed in other areas), he'll have to work super hard, and maybe this is one area in which he'll really have to bust his bum to get caught up.

:grouphug:

I would pick a mastery program like MM or Singapore. I would have him try to do the first few and last few problems of each type in each section. If he is fine, skip that section and move on. If not, do that section until he is fine and then move on.

Thank you for posting this! I just purchased MM to supplement TT3 for my dd11. We have had a rough time with Math so I moved her to TT until I could pull it together. I figured it would cover the areas she isn't strong in even though it was a bit below her level. Having her go through MM the way you suggested would be a wonderful way for me to check for mastery more quickly than her going through TT3 chapter by chapter.

If you want to use MM, you can try what I do. My son has just finished 5A and is moving into 5B. I'm not sure which level your son is in but maybe you can do something similar. In 5A, he'd do two pages on decimals and then later, he'd do two pages on graphing which is the very last chapter. At one point, we had three strands going at once when it was stuff he knew but needed some refreshing. So I have three tabs in the book and he'd do 1-2 pages of the new stuff, 2-3 pages of the review stuff, and then 1-2 pages of the graphing. It wasn't all in one sitting....we'd have a math time in the AM and one in the PM. The PM was usually the map work and the review stuff since it's the end of the day and he might be tired.

Now that we're finishing 5A, DS started asking about multiplying and dividing negative numbers so I skipped ahead to the last chapter in 5B. So he's completed all of the negative numbers and function section in 5B already. It seems to be working well for him. We started 5A the end of October and finished it the end of February so about 4months. He has already completed Rightstart levels A-E prior to do MM5A so it was review and going deeper but nothing he had never seen before. We'll do MM5B over the 4months, a lot will be review from RS since RS was heavy on geometry.

He actually does quite well when it comes to fractions. Decimals are pretty good too, though not as solid. He just hasn't covered things like order of operations (since MUS doesn't cover it till their Pre-Algebra:glare: ) and assorted things like elapsed time, different geometry topics, etc. The basic operations, fractions, and decimals he has down pretty well.

Just a thought. If you know what kind of topics he is lacking in and you like MM, why not just use the Blue series and pick your topics. This is what we are having to do after dd10 wasted a year on TT5. She is strong in math but is missing some of the concepts that othr maths like MM would have taught in 5th grade.

Just a thought. If you know what kind of topics he is lacking in and you like MM, why not just use the Blue series and pick your topics. This is what we are having to do after dd10 wasted a year on TT5. She is strong in math but is missing some of the concepts that othr maths like MM would have taught in 5th grade.

:iagree:

I think that's what I'm essentially doing, currently. I own all of the Light Blue Series, so I'm just going through them all and finding the stuff he hasn't covered. I'm having him do the chapter tests of the stuff he has, just to make sure he still remembers it, and I'm having him do the cumulative reviews as they come up, but on the chapters he hasn't covered I'm having him do them all.

I asked him this morning what he'd prefer to do, and after getting over his major irritation that because of MUS he's super way behind, he decided to just do several pages a day. So I've got him doing an average of about 5 pages a day. We'll see how that can speed things up.

I think that's what I'm essentially doing, currently. I own all of the Light Blue Series, so I'm just going through them all and finding the stuff he hasn't covered. I'm having him do the chapter tests of the stuff he has, just to make sure he still remembers it, and I'm having him do the cumulative reviews as they come up, but on the chapters he hasn't covered I'm having him do them all.

I asked him this morning what he'd prefer to do, and after getting over his major irritation that because of MUS he's super way behind, he decided to just do several pages a day. So I've got him doing an average of about 5 pages a day. We'll see how that can speed things up.

What kind of things is he missing? I am nervous now as we are using MUS. :001_huh:

What kind of things is he missing? I am nervous now as we are using MUS. :001_huh:

Lots of geometry-related stuff. Elapsed time (which is covered in Pre-Algebra, I believe). Order of operations. That too is covered in Pre-Algebra, but that order caused problems in Zeta when he was trying to calculate the area of a circle - he didn't know that you had to square the radius FIRST. Mathematical terminology such as difference, sum, addend, minuend, quotient, etc. Lots of stuff with measurement and geometry.

Many of the things are covered in MUS Pre-Algebra. The kicker though is that almost all other curriculums have covered all of that PRIOR to Pre-Algebra. Also, one thing I found is that with all of my kids, MUS covered the different math topics at a very surface level. For example, my 2nd grader, who completed Alpha, had no clue how to do subtraction without doing the little flip over the block trick that MUS teaches. I had to reteach him how to simply TAKE AWAY blocks. And we won't talk about how to tell time or money.:001_huh: My olders had no idea how to draw 3x4=12 without drawing a rectangle split into 3 rows of 4 - had no concept that it could be 3 groups of 4 somethings, for example.

Are all topics covered? I guess so...EVENTUALLY. However, they aren't covered at a deep enough level for my tastes. And some of the procedures, I had to actually tell my oldest, "Don't do it that way...do it THIS way."

Lots of geometry-related stuff. Elapsed time (which is covered in Pre-Algebra, I believe). Order of operations. That too is covered in Pre-Algebra, but that order caused problems in Zeta when he was trying to calculate the area of a circle - he didn't know that you had to square the radius FIRST. Mathematical terminology such as difference, sum, addend, minuend, quotient, etc. Lots of stuff with measurement and geometry.

Many of the things are covered in MUS Pre-Algebra. The kicker though is that almost all other curriculums have covered all of that PRIOR to Pre-Algebra. Also, one thing I found is that with all of my kids, MUS covered the different math topics at a very surface level. For example, my 2nd grader, who completed Alpha, had no clue how to do subtraction without doing the little flip over the block trick that MUS teaches. I had to reteach him how to simply TAKE AWAY blocks. And we won't talk about how to tell time or money.:001_huh: My olders had no idea how to draw 3x4=12 without drawing a rectangle split into 3 rows of 4 - had no concept that it could be 3 groups of 4 somethings, for example.

Are all topics covered? I guess so...EVENTUALLY. However, they aren't covered at a deep enough level for my tastes. And some of the procedures, I had to actually tell my oldest, "Don't do it that way...do it THIS way."

Thank you for typing that out for me. I have been sensing that maybe we should suppliment but I haven't known how to impliment it fully.

This helps me figure out where to start.

I would not put an 8th grader in MM. I 2nd the suggestion of going through Lial's BCM.

I would contact Jann in TX (on this forum) and describe the situation to her and see if you could hire her to help you design a remediation program for your ds's particular situation. It does not sound as dire as needing to spend until 2013 on getting up to speed on 6th grade math. (FWIW.....Jann is a math teacher and tutor.)

MUS uses a different scope & sequence than traditional math programs. Most people are aware of that going into it.

I hate to see such harsh threads like this about any curriculum. It causes some to panic and try to fix something that isn't broken.

When something isn't a good fit, people are quick to rip that program apart. There are many people happily using MUS and simply not posting about it.

We actually went to MUS because my sons were having HORRIBLE trouble with spiral programs. They love it. It has made them really enjoy math.

I just am worried as we are in a custody/schooling case with ds11 and I know the line up may cause trouble with testing. :( It has not yet in our annual testing (Peabody), but I am unsure what test they will assign him to test with next.

We actually went to MUS because my sons were having HORRIBLE trouble with spiral programs. They love it. It has made them really enjoy math.

I just am worried as we are in a custody/schooling case with ds11 and I know the line up may cause trouble with testing. :( It has not yet in our annual testing (Peabody), but I am unsure what test they will assign him to test with next.

Although it's NOT just a different sequence that's the problem IMO, what I would do in your situation is to occasionally supplement with other things and see how he does with them. (Really this is good to do with any math curriculum, to make sure that he fully grasps the concepts, not just the way his curriculum presents the concepts.) Since they do love it, then stick with it, but definitely be aware that you may need to help them get a deeper grasp of mathematical concepts. My kids liked it and were doing very well with it, but I personally got too frustrated. I'm very fortunate that they switched away from it easily.

I would not put an 8th grader in MM. I 2nd the suggestion of going through Lial's BCM.

I was under the impression that Lial's BCM was the equivalent of pre-algebra? That's what I'm trying to get him TO.

Also, would I have to teach Lial's? My oldest has a language issue, so unless it's designed to be self-teaching (like MM), he would not be able to understand it just by reading it. And I don't have time to actually sit down and teach it to him (I have 5 kids I'm teaching).

I was under the impression that Lial's BCM was the equivalent of pre-algebra? That's what I'm trying to get him TO.

Also, would I have to teach Lial's? My oldest has a language issue, so unless it's designed to be self-teaching (like MM), he would not be able to understand it just by reading it. And I don't have time to actually sit down and teach it to him (I have 5 kids I'm teaching).

No, BCM is not pre-alg. It is remedial elementary math that attempts to bring someone behind up to speed in all basic math skills. Once he finished BCM, though, he should be ready for alg. You can see the TOC on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-College-Mathematics-Margaret-Lial/dp/0321064577#reader_0321064577

As for not having the time to actually teach him, it sounds like you need to see if you can alter your current schedule and find 20-30 extra minutes a day to work with him. If it came down to spending less time with the 1st grader and more time w/your 8th grader, that is the decision I would make if it were me. Getting him up to grade level in math should be a high priority.

No, BCM is not pre-alg. It is remedial elementary math that attempts to bring someone behind up to speed in all basic math skills. Once he finished BCM, though, he should be ready for alg. You can see the TOC on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-College-Mathematics-Margaret-Lial/dp/0321064577#reader_0321064577

Interesting...Maria Miller lists it as a pre-algebra text. But maybe that's because it prepares a student for Algebra I in addition to covering the basics?:confused:

As for not having the time to actually teach him, it sounds like you need to see if you can alter your current schedule and find 20-30 extra minutes a day to work with him. If it came down to spending less time with the 1st grader and more time w/your 8th grader, that is the decision I would make if it were me. Getting him up to grade level in math should be a high priority.

:lol:

I spend roughly 6.5 hours a day teaching, currently. 5 of my students (including him) are going through Barton Reading & Spelling. I MIGHT be able to find a smidge of extra time once he is done with grammar next week, but I was going to use that time to work with him on metalistening strategies, due to his language processing problems.

Y'all would probably faint dead away if you saw my current schedule.:lol: I have 2 with suspected auditory problems (getting tested tomorrow), one with dyslexia, one with vision problems, another with suspected dyslexia. One of my kids is actually NORMAL.:lol: And then a toddler and a preschooler. I actually DON'T spend much time with the 1st and 2nd graders (as compared to typical) because I focus so much on my oldest.

I spend roughly 6.5 hours a day teaching, currently.

Y'all would probably faint dead away if you saw my current schedule.

It actually doesn't faze me in the slightest. You are teaching 5 kids. Homeschooling a large family is a serious commitment. Disabilities or not, # of hrs (and 6.5 hrs doesn't seem like that long to me for 5 kids. Our days are much longer and I am only homeschooling 4 this yr b/c my 5 yod isn't really doing K level work this yr).......if he is as far behind as you say, he needs either a math teacher or at the bare minimum a solid plan on how to catch up to where he needs to be.

Simply going through another elementary level math program on his own does not seem like the most appropriate choice for a child just months from starting high school.

Feel free to ignore the suggestion, but I think Jann in TX would have a lot to offer you and your ds.

I do appreciate your advice. I am looking more into BCM, since it seems to do remedial AND prepare for pre-algebra. I found a couple of posts that explain the difference between BCM and Lial's Pre-Algebra, and that helps a lot.

Just to be clear though, MM 6 is about the equivalent of other 7th grade programs. It is geared toward a child going straight from MM 6 to pre-algebra. So it's not just "another elementary program."

I'm still not sure I'd be able to pull off Lial's, particularly since it would require a lot of hand-holding due to his language issues. But it may be our best bet.

I do appreciate your advice. I am looking more into BCM, since it seems to do remedial AND prepare for pre-algebra. I found a couple of posts that explain the difference between BCM and Lial's Pre-Algebra, and that helps a lot.

Just to be clear though, MM 6 is about the equivalent of other 7th grade programs. It is geared toward a child going straight from MM 6 to pre-algebra. So it's not just "another elementary program."

I'm still not sure I'd be able to pull off Lial's, particularly since it would require a lot of hand-holding due to his language issues. But it may be our best bet.

Kirstin,

My oldest is using BCM right now, and I own the pre-algebra text so feel free to ask my any questions as well.

Most of the things you listed earlier are covered in BCM. Order of operations is one of the first things covered. It does cover all the basics as well, but with large numbers, so they really get their practice in. So far it is working well for my oldest, the one who gets math, but is horribly inconsistent in applying it...and on bad days how to do basic operations. For example she got fractions when so many other kids didn't but today she couldn't tell me why the fractions in the bar graph should add up to 1. She knows this, it is just one of those being put on the moment things, and she couldn't put it into words.

The visual explanations in BCM are very good, and the instructions for the problem sets are excellent about referring back to an example, so they can look it up as well.

But I don't know how it would compare to MM.

I suspect some kids can go straight from BCM to algebra. Some need the additional steps in the pre-algebra text. I suspect my dd will need pre-algebra. She can mentally do the algebra right now, conceptually. As long as she doesn't see the problem and freeze first. I went backwards because she could use the volume of work (like my other kids need to know the phonograms in their sleep she needs how to execute these problems down that well) and because the problems get increasingly more difficult, allowing her to dip her toe in and get used to seeing problems that are complicated without freezing up. It is frustrating because mentally she can move ahead right now, practically it gets frustrating when half the problems in the assignment have help written next to them because she froze. The other half she nails. :001_huh:

At least it is never boring around here. ;)

Heather

Guest Dulcimeramy
It actually doesn't faze me in the slightest. You are teaching 5 kids. Homeschooling a large family is a serious commitment. Disabilities or not, # of hrs (and 6.5 hrs doesn't seem like that long to me for 5 kids. Our days are much longer and I am only homeschooling 4 this yr b/c my 5 yod isn't really doing K level work this yr).......if he is as far behind as you say, he needs either a math teacher or at the bare minimum a solid plan on how to catch up to where he needs to be.

Simply going through another elementary level math program on his own does not seem like the most appropriate choice for a child just months from starting high school.

Feel free to ignore the suggestion, but I think Jann in TX would have a lot to offer you and your ds.

:iagree: Not to pile on, but to add encouragement from another homeschool mom who spends 8-10 hours per day schooling 4 children.

Classical homeschooling in a large family takes time. It is at least a full-time job. At our house, the work often spills over into evening. I have to study and prepare for teaching, too, late into the night after my husband goes to bed.

Special learning needs, whether profound giftedness or disabilities, take even more time and attention.

That's my experience only, and maybe others are able to combine more (or are better organized) to spend less time, but I have heard from other moms of 4+ that hs'ing is a full-time job once the oldest are in the upper grammar, logic, and rhetoric stages.

Gosh, we aren't even BOTHERING with the classical stuff. Truly, our time is spent on reading and math. PERIOD. My oldest cannot handle the language involved with logic-level material (let alone logic itself - YIKES). I've given up on even attempting the classical method with my crew at this point.

So are your husbands involved in your lives at all? Do you receive any sort of help on household stuff (not so much cleaning but just RUNNING the household - grocery shopping, bill paying, meal planning, etc.)? My husband is pretty much gone all the time, so essentially I'm single parenting most of the time in addition to the schoolwork. Which is fine - it's what I'm used to - but it means I simply DO NOT have a spare 30 minutes in my day.

Guest Dulcimeramy
Gosh, we aren't even BOTHERING with the classical stuff. Truly, our time is spent on reading and math. PERIOD. My oldest cannot handle the language involved with logic-level material (let alone logic itself - YIKES). I've given up on even attempting the classical method with my crew at this point.

So are your husbands involved in your lives at all? Do you receive any sort of help on household stuff (not so much cleaning but just RUNNING the household - grocery shopping, bill paying, meal planning, etc.)? My husband is pretty much gone all the time, so essentially I'm single parenting most of the time in addition to the schoolwork. Which is fine - it's what I'm used to - but it means I simply DO NOT have a spare 30 minutes in my day.

I do handle home and kids, appointments, extra-curriculars, cooking, everything. We shared chores more when the kids were babies and toddlers, but now DH is at war with the depression-that-they're-calling-a-recession. So I'm on my own with the homefront.

It doesn't matter what I do, though. I wasn't trying to say, "I'm doing this, so you can, too." Your family, goals, strengths, challenges, and responsibilities are unique to you, and if you can't find another 30 minutes then you just can't. I am not judging that, not for one second.

I just wanted to explain that 6.5 hours is less than many moms spend just on hs'ing.

Yes. I cannot do 10 hours a day. My children would most DEFINITELY revolt if expected them to do school past 4 pm.

*I* spend way more than 6.5 hours a day on school-related stuff, but if I required them to do anything beyond what we currently do (8:15-4 pm)...ugh. Not to mention nothing else getting done or anyone else taken care of. I'm definitely impressed that you can school kids for 10 hours a day plus do everything else that needs to be done without help!:001_huh:

Yes. I cannot do 10 hours a day. My children would most DEFINITELY revolt if expected them to do school past 4 pm.

*I* spend way more than 6.5 hours a day on school-related stuff, but if I required them to do anything beyond what we currently do (8:15-4 pm)...ugh. Not to mention nothing else getting done or anyone else taken care of. I'm definitely impressed that you can school kids for 10 hours a day plus do everything else that needs to be done without help!:001_huh:

We start at 5 am and we are still not finished for the day. Some of the kids are, but 2 aren't (though 2 did have an outside activity for a couple of hrs this afternoon).

My dh does not help w/ school except for the first time in almost 18 yrs he is in charge of doing chemistry labs with my 9th grader.

It is what it is. 815-400 is not that much time for an 8th grader. My high schoolers spend 7-9 hrs on task/day 5 days/wk. (that is actual school wk time, not hours including meals and other activities.) It really doesn't matter what they think. :lol::tongue_smilie: They have a certain amt of work that needs to be done and they have to finish it.;) That is why I am the teacher. :lol:

I didn't have time to read past the first recommendation for Lial's BCM, because that was what I was thinking.

I have it here for later for dd (who is now 11) and I was looking at it thinking, why did I spend six yrs teaching this stuff-I could have just used this book and taught it all in a year. (Not that one necessarily would do that, just saying one *could* do that, like in your case.)

Guest Dulcimeramy
I'm sorry that our school isn't up to par then. :(

No! That is not the takeaway lesson. Not ever.

The question is this: Will your capabilities (of all kinds) get your child where he needs to be for his best possible future?

If the answer is yes, press on with what you're doing.

If the answer is yes, but I need more time than is average because my life and my child are not average, press on and God go with you.

If the answer is maybe not, but the other options are no better, then press on with what you are doing.

If the answer is no, and there are other options (ps, private school, tutoring) that will give him a better chance, step out on that ledge and give those options a try.

Love wins. Good homes win. You are less than no one; you just need a different solution.

I didn't have time to read past the first recommendation for Lial's BCM, because that was what I was thinking.

I have it here for later for dd (who is now 11) and I was looking at it thinking, why did I spend six yrs teaching this stuff-I could have just used this book and taught it all in a year. (Not that one necessarily would do that, just saying one *could* do that, like in your case.)

You know, you summed up exactly what I was wondering! Thanks!:001_smile:

No! That is not the takeaway lesson. Not ever.

The question is this: Will your capabilities (of all kinds) get your child where he needs to be for his best possible future?

If the answer is yes, press on with what you're doing.

If the answer is yes, but I need more time than is average because my life and my child are not average, press on and God go with you.

If the answer is maybe not, but the other options are no better, then press on with what you are doing.

If the answer is no, and there are other options (ps, private school, tutoring) that will give him a better chance, step out on that ledge and give those options a try.

Love wins. Good homes win. You are less than no one; you just need a different solution.

Thank you, because honestly to be told that my best isn't good enough is rather hurtful.

I will be shocked if my oldest goes to college. For one thing, he wants to join the Marines after high school. For another thing, he just isn't college material LOL. He is performing at about a 6th grade level currently because of his language issues. In all honesty he does need more time, but both he and my dh have nixed my idea of having him do an extra year prior to high school work. Despite me being the one who knows what is going on, apparently none of that matters - ds doesn't want to graduate a year late, and my dh doesn't want to have a child who "flunked.":banghead: So I'm doing the best I can to catch him up to where his potential might be (which isn't going to be "grade level" anyway, due to his learning struggles).

But apparently some think I should be having my kids study while they're asleep or something...I dunno. I wish I KNEW where to carve out more time in the day so that we could get more schoolwork done, but considering that I do everything (not just school-related stuff but everything), there just isn't any way.

And regardless if he DID need outside help, we could not provide it, so tutoring or private school are out of the question. Private schools especially since they don't typically deal with learning struggles as well. And our public schools are a joke because they won't help a child at ALL unless they aren't progressing at all. My child is progressing...just not at the proper rate. So they told me they wouldn't help. So it's me or nothing.

Thank you, because honestly to be told that my best isn't good enough is rather hurtful.

I hope that isn't how you interpreted what I was saying, b/c that isn't what I intended. I was only attempting to point out that sometimes we need to step back from how we are currently approaching things and see if options we haven't considered before are what we need to consider in order to meet the needs of our children.

If the answer is that you do not have more time, then is there a way to create a different approach to use the time you do have to get everything done?

I have had to get up earlier than I have ever cared to multiple times in my life b/c early morning while babies/toddlers sleep has been the best instruction time for my older kids b/c there are no distractions. If I were a night owl, I would probably attempt to do it at night after the little ones are in bed.

I have had to have older kids take shifts with toddlers during the day so that I could concentrate on working with another child, etc.

Just offering the perspective that fixed hrs might not be the only way to think about accomplishing everything that needs to be done.

If the answer to alternative schedules is no, is a tutor or an online class an option? If you can't afford it, could you barter for it?

Of course, sometimes there is no way around the status quo and we have to make do w/the way things are. When that happens, we just have to accept that it is all that we can do and it is what it is.

I ended up finding BCM for $6.99 plus shipping on half.com.:D Ds should be done with grammar by the time it arrives, so I'll just start school with him earlier in the morning, I suppose. He won't be happy, but oh well. He's also not super thrilled at the prospect of me teaching him (he was looking forward to Thinkwell), but he realizes that it's necessary for him to get through pre-algebra ASAP.

If it helps you are doing it the same way I do. Focus on the oldest first, then work your way down. You have the least amount of time with them, and more time with the little to play catch up.

That is why I didn't start WWE 1 with my 3rd dd till 3rd grade, then we did it every other day (I just didn't have more time). Since things have fallen of her and my 2nd dd's schedule (she is more independent now) that allowed me to do it at normal pace, and now at double pace.

But I still haven't started VV, largely because I can't figure out how to work it into the schedule. I will probably end up waiting till something else falls off. It isn't like there is a lot to cut, because they pretty much to everything that isn't essential independently.

Just keep running the race. My dh only just finished Algebra I as a senior year. When he went to college, and he did get into a regular college, he had to take remedial math classes. He still managed to graduate and has a very good job now. You can't force it, all you can do is try to find what will reach them best. Beyond that if it takes longer than ideal there isn't much you can do. Giving up isn't an answer, just keep running and they might just do more than you think.

BTW it drives me nuts that my oldest can do Algebra right now, but because she can't do it all in her head she freezes and thus is stuck doing basic math to build automatic recall and fluency. At this point she will start Algebra I half way through her 9th grade year. That shouldn't be, but I just don't have the time to sit there and hold her hand through it so she gets it done sooner. Nor am I going to require her to do more, because the one time we did that it backfired. She still has the most recall and miscellaneous errors in the areas we covered then. Now I am going back and re-covering it. In hind sight I wish I had just done it at her slow plodding pace.

Oh well, all we can do is try to make the right decisions. We are going to fail, pick up the pieces and keep going. What they need to learn most is how to keep picking up the pieces, finding new dreams, and keep going. They will find their place in life if they have that skill, even if it isn't a linear path.

Heather

If it helps you are doing it the same way I do. Focus on the oldest first, then work your way down. You have the least amount of time with them, and more time with the little to play catch up.

Yep, this is what I'm doing. It probably doesn't LOOK like that, since I do have to still do SOMETHING with the others, and unfortunately those things are all very time-consuming as well. But I do have my emphasis on him.

It's sort of like the vision therapy we're most likely going to be starting. My 12yo and 10yo both need it. (I do too!) But we can't afford for all 3 of us to get it. Since it's affecting my 12yo the most and he has less time to catch up, I'm going to have him go first. Then next year when I can hold out more in our FSA, I'll arrange for the 10yo to get it as well.

It all boils down to priorities.:001_smile:

I would contact Jann in TX (on this forum) and describe the situation to her and see if you could hire her to help you design a remediation program for your ds's particular situation. It does not sound as dire as needing to spend until 2013 on getting up to speed on 6th grade math. (FWIW.....Jann is a math teacher and tutor.)

I totally agree!

:iagree: I have not contacted Jann, but my 8th grader is going through Lial's BCM to catch us up for Algebra next year. I was in the same place as you, and now I feel like we're gonna be okay!

I wouldn't rush things and would be sure to have a sold foundation in math. BCM is a good idea. I would also consider adding Russian Math at some point. I'm not sure why, but this is the book that helped my 12 yo finally grasp the linguistic aspects of math. It could have been developmental in her case, or it could have been the program, which is a very good one.

NOT as a criticism, but in understanding, Dd also did MUS, but I ended up supplementing it with SM, and then switching to supplementing SM with MUS. As much as we like Mr. Demme (and he is the only one who convinced her to regroup numbers), sometimes he confused her, too. It't not for everyone.

Oh well, all we can do is try to make the right decisions. We are going to fail, pick up the pieces and keep going. What they need to learn most is how to keep picking up the pieces, finding new dreams, and keep going. They will find their place in life if they have that skill, even if it isn't a linear path.

Heather

:iagree: We all make mistakes, and I'm in the process if kicking myself mentally because of ds, because I got burned out at one point with my dd's and didn't give him as much attention as I should. I'm in the process of fixing this now and am going to have to make some major switches. I'm even going to use some things I swore I never would, and am in the process of eating my former words. Not that the stuff is bad, but I was so sure it would never fit here. Turns out that it just wouldn't fit my eldest and some of it my middle one.

I would also consider adding Russian Math at some point. I'm not sure why, but this is the book that helped my 12 yo finally grasp the linguistic aspects of math. It could have been developmental in her case, or it could have been the program, which is a very good one.

Can you provide a link? Also, can you describe how it helped with the linguistic aspects of math? That is a huge issue due to my ds's language problems.

He actually does quite well when it comes to fractions. Decimals are pretty good too, though not as solid. He just hasn't covered things like order of operations (since MUS doesn't cover it till their Pre-Algebra:glare: ) and assorted things like elapsed time, different geometry topics, etc. The basic operations, fractions, and decimals he has down pretty well.

I might have missed this somewhere, but why can't he do MUS Pre-Algebra to fill in those "gaps"?

And, in looking at your schedule, do you have to do Barton everyday with every child? Can you stagger them so everyone gets 2-3 sessions per week?

I might have missed this somewhere, but why can't he do MUS Pre-Algebra to fill in those "gaps"?

I considered that briefly, but honestly, gaps aren't my only concern with MUS.

And, in looking at your schedule, do you have to do Barton everyday with every child? Can you stagger them so everyone gets 2-3 sessions per week?
It would be very difficult. We only do school 4 days a week (they do a public school enrichment program thing on day 5), and since I'm trying to get everyone through Barton as quickly as possible, it's just easier to do 45 minute sessions everyday with everyone. I combine the older 2, so I have 4 Barton sessions a day.