Menu

Tips for HSing with a newborn?

Hello to all the Mommies who juggle it all... I feel a bit odd asking for help with this, because I know so many of you juggle multiple kids.

I am HSing one child - first grade, just turned 7. He's our only child at home. For the most part, everything we do is very intensive one on one... We have a lot of fun, we do a ton of projects. We also have a very flexible schedule, and I suspect that's about to change. We don't have a set school-time during the day, but just do what feels right through the day - we take breaks for play and reading aloud often. I have a weekly file set up, and we do the next thing till we finish what I'd planned each day. For the most part, we are on target for our year.

DH and I have had a sudden gift - the stork will be visiting us in 9 weeks! [We are sooooo excited!] We have been planning another adoption, but didn't think it would happen quite so quickly.

Now I am pondering how to handle the next 2 months - and beyond.

Do I try to speed up with DS, and cram in as much as possible? Or just plod along at our normal pace while getting ready for the baby, and plan to fall behind a bit once baby arrives?

And once baby is here... Can someone tell me about HSing with a newborn in the house? How is it? Are there tips or tricks?

Is this a time to think about re-thinking curriculum choices for next year? It seems like most of what we do is fairly teacher intensive - Right Start Math, AAS, SOTW, our science, and more... but at 7, isn't everything teacher intensive anyway?

It has been so long since we've had a newborn! I'm going to have to re-learn quite a bit about that, too. Any tips on that will be welcome, too. :)

Congratulations!!

I actually find if I can get past the sleep deprivation, it is not very difficult to homeschool with a newborn. Newborns nap a lot (usually.) Much more difficult to homeschool with a toddler! You might want to get a sling or other carrier to wear baby. I also have always loved a bouncy seat. I can bounce it with my feet while reading on the couch. good luck!

I have no advice but am subbing to read the replies. We have one and would love one more but we're not pregnant yet...

Also, do you happen to blog? We will likely have a similar age difference so I am always interested in reading about families with similar dynamics (big age gap).

Good luck with everything and congratulations!

Looking forward to more replies on this one, as I'm due with new babe last Tuesday. We took the last 3 weeks off for Estrella War (prep, event, and recovery), and will be resuming lessons on Monday (unless I go into labor between now and then...and then still maybe). For us things are further complicated because I have to go back to work when the baby is 6 weeks old. Getting school done and juggling that with work was a challenge...throwing a baby into the mix is going to make things very interesting around here!

Congratulations!!

I actually find if I can get past the sleep deprivation, it is not very difficult to homeschool with a newborn. Newborns nap a lot (usually.) Much more difficult to homeschool with a toddler! You might want to get a sling or other carrier to wear baby. I also have always loved a bouncy seat. I can bounce it with my feet while reading on the couch. good luck!

:iagree:As long as you have a fairly easy going baby that sleeps decently things shouldn't be too bad at all. If baby starts sleeping through the night and falls into a schedule around 2 mos. even better. I had 6 out of 7 that fell into this category so I generally think of homeschooling with a 2 month old to be no big deal. Even easier if you are not breastfeeding, that's just my experience. I did learn to let things go for 2 months to give me time to feel like myself and give the baby time to settle into a schedule.

But once they hit 18 mos. or so. Look out!:ack2: My 2yo is currently putting me through the wringer.:smash:

Oh, and congratulations! :001_smile:

And once baby is here... Can someone tell me about HSing with a newborn in the house? How is it? Are there tips or tricks?

I've done two years of homeschooling with a newborn in the house. We did our school work during nap times. My most recent baby slept a lot the first six months, including at night, so I wasn't really sleep deprived. He was easy to work around.

The previous baby did not ever want to be put down during his first six months. That was tougher. At that time the kids were doing K/First Grade, so I had to read everything to them. We just all piled up on the couch with our books and I did my reading with the baby in my arms, on my lap, and on my chest. Luckily, the work load was much lighter back then.

When #4 was born, I switched to more read-alouds than traditional workbooks. We did math during naps, & I read while I nursed.

I found it *much* easier to nurse after the baby was born than that last month, so if you slow down more than you expect, don't freak out.

#3 was born while we were hs'ing, too, but she was born at the end of the school year (we typically school year round but slow down a little in the summer), AND we were selling our house, living in limbo, etc, so...school was really a second-thought. Or fifth, lol.

The toddler years are crazy hard, though. :svengo:

I always take an extended break when their is a newborn in the house. It's a big time of adjustment for everybody so you will really need to cut yourself some slack. I suggest taking at least two weeks off. It'll give you time to bond with your new little blessing and time for the new big brother to get used to all the changes. Your son is young so I wouldn't worry about him falling too far behind. Read to him and play games while the baby is sleeping. If you feel like doing schoolwork than do it but don't feel like you have to. Babies don't stay little that long, I prefer to relish in their newness than worry about staying on schedule for our schoolwork.

I have a moby wrap that has been a life saver! I think it would be something that would be great for you. It'll help promote bonding, and allow you to get things done around the house.

HTH! and congrats!

Homeschooling with a newborn to me was no big deal. I either schooled while the baby slept, or nursed while teaching. My youngest was born in Nov. of 2009. We took two weeks off of school, and then we had 3 weeks of a light schedule before Christmas break. By January we were back full swing and never looked back. ds2(my fourth) was a very clingy baby, and a terrible sleeper, but we managed just fine. Just remember to cut yourself some slack if needed and just fold the baby right in.

It's really not the newborn stage that you need to worry about, it's the toddlers!

:iagree: I currently have a 3 month old and a 19 month old. My 3 month old is either sleeping, in his swing, or cuddled in my arms during school. My 19 month old is dumping pencils, spreading books everywhere, or 'helping' the older children with their math. :D I'd plan on just taking it easy, enjoying the time with your children, and not worry if you fall slightly behind and work into the summer a bit.

As far as next year, you might plan on streamlining the schoolwork to fit into the baby's naptime. My 8yo and I have found that's the best time for us to sit down together and complete his schoolwork. DD can join us for activities and experiments, but it's easier to do the academic work while she's sleeping. :001_smile:

Do I try to speed up with DS, and cram in as much as possible? Or just plod along at our normal pace while getting ready for the baby, and plan to fall behind a bit once baby arrives?

Neither. :) I like to take a break before baby arrives to get out & about with the kids having fun. Fieldtrip like crazy. You both will have fun and bonding, and you won't be getting out much after baby comes.

Be okay with yourself if your homeschooling falls behind. It just happens sometimes. You can catch up in the summer.

Also, be prepared to prioritize of what is important academically and what can wait. If I had to choose, I would do math and reading. Let everything else slide.

Dd1 is 4yo, and dd2 is 3mo. I didn't do anything at all for the last 5 months for homeschooling because of the miserable pregnancy and getting settled with the new baby (sleeping, nursing issues). We're just now getting back into the saddle.

Congratulations on your expected bundle of joy!